Downtownv

NRA backs lawsuit claiming NJ handgun policy is ‘unconstitutional’

On 2/20/2018 at 7:10 AM, gleninjersey said:

By law, they have to deny 99.9% of applicants.  No justifiable need equals denied.

On 2/20/2018 at 7:19 AM, gleninjersey said:

Ever in the Boy Scouts?  Shooting / Marksmanship (not sure which it was called) may qualify.

Have a firearms hunting license?

On point!

I just read the statute and the administrative code. I thought a qualifiying shoot was a requirement.  It seems that it's just one of four possible ways to meet the "thoroughly familiar" standard.  I'm an NRA certified instructor in pistol so I think that will work.
Any NRA pistol instructor I believe is qualified to sign off. If you want to have an extra edge, go to one with a record of signing off retired LEOs
  • Like 1

NJAC 13:54-2.4 (b) Application for a permit to carry a handgun 

Each applicant shall demonstrate a thorough familiarity  with the safe handling and use of handguns by indicating in the space provided therefor on the application form, and on  any sworn attachments thereto, any relevant information. Thorough familiarity with the safe handling and use of handguns may be evidenced by:  

1. Completion of a firearms training course substantially  equivalent to the firearms training approved by the Police Training Commission as described by N.J.S.A. 2C:39-6j;  

2. Submission of an applicant's most recent handgun qualification scores utilizing the handgun(s) he or she intends to carry as evidenced by test firings administered by a certified  firearms instructor of a police academy, a certified firearms instructor of the National Rifle Association, or  any other recognized certified firearms instructor;  

3. Completion of a course or test in the safe handling of a handgun administered by a certified firearms instructor of a police academy, a certified firearms instructor of the National Rifle Association, or any other recognized certified firearms instructor;  or  

4. Passage of any test in this State's laws governing the  use of force administered by a certified instructor of a police academy, a certified instructor of the National Rifle Association, or any other recognized certified instructor.

Since there is an "or" between #3 and #4, I'm interpreting this to mean that you need only 1 of these 4 things to qualify.

• Like 2

I got some more information about submitting applications.  Sorry in advance for the long post to come.  I picked up applications and spoke to a couple of troopers who were able to answer my questions.

I picked up my carry permits this morning from the Bridgeton trooper barracks.  The trooper who handles the firearm applications came out into the lobby to go over the requirements with me.  He first mentioned justifiable need.  I told him I was aware of that requirement.  He asked if I had justifiable need.  I told him I hadn't decided what I was going to include in my letter of need yet.  We moved onto the next topic.

Forms filled out in triplicate, three references, all copies notarized, fingerprinting needs to be scheduled, fill out mental health form but don't sign until I come back with packet completed.  No surprises so far.

Then he mentioned that I needed to include my qualification scores with the application.  I mentioned that the NJ Admin. Code. allows 4 methods to meet the requirement for being "thoroughly familiar" with firearms and qualification scores are one of the four.  Can I use one of the other three?  He wasn't really sure so gave me the phone number to the Firearms Investigation Unit in Trenton.  I thanked him and left for work.

Later, I called the Firearms Unit.  The woman who answered the phone wasn't sure of the answer to my question but she did explain a couple of details.  The local barracks does the criminal background check, the mental health check, and the reference check.  The packet is then sent to Trenton for approval or denial.  When denied (she said "if"), it gets sent to the Superior Court in your county.  A court date will be scheduled and you get to talk to the judge.  She said that the whole process takes 4 to 6 months. She then transferred me to one of the detectives in the unit who processes these applications. 

I asked the detective about needing to submit qualification scores.  He said that I did need to do that. I asked about the other 3 methods of demonstrating "thorough familiarity" that are in the administrative code.  He said that I could use any of those methods but needed to submit the scores that went along with each method.  I'm not sure he was completely familiar with what I was asking but that's not the fight I'm looking for  - so I'll submit scores.

I asked what course of fire was required.  He recommended that I find an NRA instructor who does the qualification shoot.  I told him I was an NRA instructor but didn't know which course of fire was required.  He said that "the" NRA course of fire is sufficient.  Although he never said so, I don't think it really matters what course of fire is submitted.  I got the feeling that he just needs some number on a piece of paper with an NRA instructor's signature so that he can check off that box as completed.  I definitely don't think there is one prescribed course of fire for non-leo applicants.

As always when dealing with the NJSP, everyone I spoke to was helpful, professional, and respectful.

4 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

QUESTION. i see many of you are going to your local state pd barracks. should we all be doing that? if so, i'd be using the belmawr barracks......or should i really still just use my local pd?

also....what is "the nra course of fire"?

I could be wrong but I don't think you have a choice. If you live in a town that has a PD you must use them....If the NJSP are your local police that you would go to them.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

....what is "the nra course of fire"?

I really don't think the detective that reviews applications knew either.  To pass the NRA basic pistol course, you have to shoot a qualifier at the end of the course.  The three achievement levels are called red, white, and blue.  You have to successfully achieve the red (easiest) level to pass the basic pistol class.  Note:  everybody who actually puts in any effort passes the class.

Qualification for Level 1: Red is four five shot groups within the four-inch circle at 10 feet.
Qualification for Level 2: White is four five shot groups within the four-inch circle at 15 feet.
Qualification for Level 3: Blue is four five shot groups within the four-inch circle at 20 feet.

The NRA also has a marksmanship qualification program where you can achieve several different levels from "basic" through "distinguished expert".

• Like 3

18 hours ago, maintenanceguy said:

I got some more information about submitting applications.  Sorry in advance for the long post to come.  I picked up applications and spoke to a couple of troopers who were able to answer my questions.

I picked up my carry permits this morning from the Bridgeton trooper barracks.  The trooper who handles the firearm applications came out into the lobby to go over the requirements with me.  He first mentioned justifiable need.  I told him I was aware of that requirement.  He asked if I had justifiable need.  I told him I hadn't decided what I was going to include in my letter of need yet.  We moved onto the next topic.

Forms filled out in triplicate, three references, all copies notarized, fingerprinting needs to be scheduled, fill out mental health form but don't sign until I come back with packet completed.  No surprises so far.

Then he mentioned that I needed to include my qualification scores with the application.  I mentioned that the NJ Admin. Code. allows 4 methods to meet the requirement for being "thoroughly familiar" with firearms and qualification scores are one of the four.  Can I use one of the other three?  He wasn't really sure so gave me the phone number to the Firearms Investigation Unit in Trenton.  I thanked him and left for work.

Later, I called the Firearms Unit.  The woman who answered the phone wasn't sure of the answer to my question but she did explain a couple of details.  The local barracks does the criminal background check, the mental health check, and the reference check.  The packet is then sent to Trenton for approval or denial.  When denied (she said "if"), it gets sent to the Superior Court in your county.  A court date will be scheduled and you get to talk to the judge.  She said that the whole process takes 4 to 6 months. She then transferred me to one of the detectives in the unit who processes these applications. 

I asked the detective about needing to submit qualification scores.  He said that I did need to do that. I asked about the other 3 methods of demonstrating "thorough familiarity" that are in the administrative code.  He said that I could use any of those methods but needed to submit the scores that went along with each method.  I'm not sure he was completely familiar with what I was asking but that's not the fight I'm looking for  - so I'll submit scores.

I asked what course of fire was required.  He recommended that I find an NRA instructor who does the qualification shoot.  I told him I was an NRA instructor but didn't know which course of fire was required.  He said that "the" NRA course of fire is sufficient.  Although he never said so, I don't think it really matters what course of fire is submitted.  I got the feeling that he just needs some number on a piece of paper with an NRA instructor's signature so that he can check off that box as completed.  I definitely don't think there is one prescribed course of fire for non-leo applicants.

As always when dealing with the NJSP, everyone I spoke to was helpful, professional, and respectful.

I will add for you and - " Didn't really know much of what was required at all - except maybe some forms. "

:)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

I will add for you and - " Didn't really know much of what was required at all - except maybe some forms. "

:)

These handsome young troopers were probably the first person they ever talked to that (God Forbid) wanted a CCW!

Then they thought.... WTF they will NEVER get one anyhow...

• Like 2