45Doll

NJSP P2Ps Now Arrive With Extension Already Approved

This week I applied for permits to purchase through the NJSP, and was advised that now the Firearms Unit in Trenton is issuing permits with the extension already approved. So the original permit is good for 180 days from the issue date. That was confirmed by my FFL who just received permits themselves. Anyone who must apply through the NJSP should receive the same treatment.

I have not seen this mentioned anywhere so I thought I'd post it.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I never understood why they'd waste their staffs' time doing a second form for the extension... it only increases the workload on the their troopers. This sounds like smart streamlining. Good for them!

One more.. small... step for NJ gun owners, i guess..LOL.. would be nice to see this state-wide.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lakota said:

So is this only for those who need to go straight to the NJSP or will it also follow through to us bound to local PD's?   That would make the process a whole lot easier to swallow.

AFAIK only the NJSP Firearms Unit is doing this. Local PDs still set their own policy. Of course they could do it if they wanted to.

This may be the work of a friend of mine:  NJSP Det. Sgt. Brett Bloom.  He is assigned to the Firearms Unit at NJSP.  He attended NJSAFECON (again), and spoke to the assembled crowd as a guest speaker.  He took notes.  One of the items brought up at NJSAFECON was the permitting system and its' faults.  If I were a betting man, I'd say Det. Sgt. Bloom is to thank for this.

Rosey

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

This may be the work of a friend of mine:  NJSP Det. Sgt. Brett Bloom.  He is assigned to the Firearms Unit at NJSP.  He attended NJSAFECON (again), and spoke to the assembled crowd as a guest speaker.  He took notes.  One of the items brought up at NJSAFECON was the permitting system and its' faults.  If I were a betting man, I'd say Det. Sgt. Bloom is to thank for this.

Rosey

If that is true someone should give him a hat tip. I don't think I know anyone who's let a permit expire deliberately with a renewal available. Even if they don't have a handgun of interest at that time.

Taking all the renewals off the table should speed up the initial process at least a little.

At the Augusta barracks Sgt. Bill Hollar is always right on top of his end of the permit process, and I know he's done his best to contribute to improving the process in Trenton.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

Rosey

He struck me as very sincere and interested in improving things.

We all bitch about NJ's various guns laws (rightly so!)... but it's also nice to see when something is done to improve the situation. We can (and should) cheer when this happens. Every step in the right direction is a "win" in my book. I just hope this practice spreads to other PDs swiftly.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mrs. Peel said:

He struck me as very sincere and interested in improving things.

We all bitch about NJ's various guns laws (rightly so!)... but it's also nice to see when something is done to improve the situation. We can (and should) cheer when this happens. Every step in the right direction is a "win" in my book. I just hope this practice spreads to other PDs swiftly.

We can all HOPE, but the realist in me knows that each CLEO runs his/her department the way THEY want to, and the local CLEO's run from almost completely "anti-gun" to downright helpful!  My local Chief didn't consider it an inconvenience making my 18 yr old Eagle Scout son, who's lived under my roof his entire life, has NO record, etc., etc. WAIT 6 MONTHS for JUST a yellow card so he could buy/transport long guns!  That was a decade ago, and the same CLEO is still there!  Meanwhile, IN FREE AMERIKKA, my son prints-out a 1-page form, takes the form & his PA DL over to the Berk Co. Sheriff's Office and VIOLA!, 5 minutes later he gets his PA LTCF (License to Carry Firearms)!  It took longer for the laminator to heat-up than it did for the NICS check to come back clean!

So yeah, we take the efforts good guys give us & we still FIGHT FOR OUR TRUE RIGHTS!

Rosey, VP CNJFO

http://www.cnjfo.com 

• Like 2

On 2/8/2018 at 11:47 AM, GunsnFreedom said:

That's great.  I wish my town would do that.  I ended up having 2 expire; partially because I was just being lazy.

My PD told me that you can still get an extension after the first expiration (ie after 90 days) but before the 180 day mark. 

So they may not be expired!

On 2/8/2018 at 11:47 AM, Lakota said:

So is this only for those who need to go straight to the NJSP or will it also follow through to us bound to local PD's?   That would make the process a whole lot easier to swallow.

It' still a bullshit process and ts not easy to swallow.

Mommy may I buy another collectible pistol....?

Go on you try to make tapeoka pudding outta dogshit

On 2/8/2018 at 1:39 PM, Smokin .50 said:

We can all HOPE, but the realist in me knows that each CLEO runs his/her department the way THEY want to, and the local CLEO's run from almost completely "anti-gun" to downright helpful!  My local Chief didn't consider it an inconvenience making my 18 yr old Eagle Scout son, who's lived under my roof his entire life, has NO record, etc., etc. WAIT 6 MONTHS for JUST a yellow card so he could buy/transport long guns!  That was a decade ago, and the same CLEO is still there!  Meanwhile, IN FREE AMERIKKA, my son prints-out a 1-page form, takes the form & his PA DL over to the Berk Co. Sheriff's Office and VIOLA!, 5 minutes later he gets his PA LTCF (License to Carry Firearms)!  It took longer for the laminator to heat-up than it did for the NICS check to come back clean!

So yeah, we take the efforts good guys give us & we still FIGHT FOR OUR TRUE RIGHTS!

Rosey, VP CNJFO

http://www.cnjfo.com 

A young lady and young man starting their lives together are proceeding with the same process.....  it's that painless.....

This is good news. I'm expecting permits in the next couple of weeks. I hope mine have the extension on them already too.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I just picked up my permits. It's true. Permits are good until 8/15.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I called NJSP today about this, and the woman I talked to confirmed that they are returning them with extensions already enabled to reduce administrative burden.  What I couldn't get an answer on is if they would do this if six were requested.

i live in a municipality so have to go through local PD, but I was hoping there would be precedent that was easily stated by the SP.

My municipality won't do six with a ready extension.  I'd like to make the case to do so due to administrative burden on the local agent, and the hassling of my personal references. Was hoping to have more of a case based upon what NJSP does.  

So do they allow 6 plus extensions upfront now?

I noticed mine came with an extension already approved.  I thought it was because I had been complaining to the state legislator about the 30 day max to return the permit (as established by NJ State Law)  had taken over 100 days.  (117 before I got it back)  I applied in November of 2017 and got it back in the middle of February 2018.  

From talking to the state police (local and in Trenton) I found out the reason the State takes way longer than municipalities.  Local Police Chiefs have the authority to approve your P2P once the background check is done.  Local NJSP Barracks Commanders do not have that authority.  So all applications for P2P are sent to the state to be checked and signed off by a single office.  The backlog is enormous because they have so many more to process than any 1 municipal police department.