HBecwithFn7

60 Minutes to cover the "National Reciprocity" Act, this Sunday!

CBS (60 minutes) is covering the National Reciprocity Bill this Sunday - Might be worth a look to see how they'll approach it. I'm sure we'll probably know how they will, but it will be interesting to see nonetheless...

180wmx.gif

60 Minutes - Recognizing Concealed Carry.....

• Like 1

yes, it should be interesting if they cover things honestly. we know they won't though.

:::::::::::::::A concealed carry permit holder stopped an armed robber Sunday at a San Antonio, Texas mall after the perpetrator shot and killed an unarmed man.

According to News 4 San Antonio, two armed men tried to rob Kay Jewelers at the Rolling Oaks Mall just after 3:30 p.m. local time.

An unarmed Good Samaritan attempted to intervene to stop the robbery but was shot and killed by one of the suspects. Another man with a firearm shot and injured the suspect who allegedly killed the unarmed man. According to News 4, a San Antonio Police Department spokesperson, said the second suspect was captured following a car wreck in Converse. .

“It’s absolutely senseless. Absolutely senseless. This is the second time that a Good Samaritan was killed trying to intervene in a crime to help the victim,” said San Antonio Police Chief Willaim McManus. “It’s absolutely senseless.”

The wounded suspect left behind was taken to the hospital in critical condition. A male shooting victim and female who suffered a heart attack during the incident were transported to receive medical care.:::::::::::::::

OK, I just finished watching. It was their usual slick job of "attempting" to seem "fair & balanced," but it was clear by the content, order of speakers, and the imagery (scenes of people in gun stores, of kids shooting guns, etc. etc.), that they were painting an anti-gun mindset picture. There were only two pro-2A reps - a congressman from North Carolina and the Pres. of USCCA. There were, maybe 3 times as many anti-reps including NY DA Cyrus Vance, NYC police commissioner, The Milwaukee Police chief, a rep from the Giffords institute (who tried to convince us that 2A does not guarantee a right to concealed carry... that 2A is only valid for home defense). In short, while they acknowledged that guns are part of the culture "in the rural parts of the country," they are condemned in major cities like NY, LA, Tuscon, Seattle, Milwaukee, etc. etc., DA Vance's position is that Feds shouldn't tell anti states / cities what to do...

The USCCA guy did his best, but I think they manipulated his answers a bit, as they did with the NC congressman. They stated that they invited Wayne La Pierre on the segment but that he refused. Instead they showed a clip of his speech after the 2016 election imploring Pres. Elect Trump to enact National reciprocity. Oddly enough, they also mentioned the case of Shaneen Allen and plastered her picture (and, even, a profile of Evan Nappen), stating that if it weren't for Chris Christie pardoning her, she would have faced 10 years in prison (while not mentioning that before Christie pardoned her, she had gotten PTI only after Evan Nappen exposed the DA as being the same one who granted PTI to Ray Rice for a domestic violence charge.... Hmmmmmm......

Yeah... the message was slick and, while they didn't conclude anything directly, it was clear that they were suggesting that National Reciprocity is a bad thing for the big cities (where the 60 min. primary constituency lives), and thus bad for all.

bs-meter.gif

• Like 4

Yep, I just as hoping for a fair shake, but this was anything but. I can only hope though that reciprocity really is going to get a vote in the senate before the midterms. The more this gets on the national stage the more likely that is to occur.

2 minutes ago, S&W39 said:

Although NR should be passed, it only pertains to people who have been issued a CCW in their native state. I don't think it helps a NJ resident with a non resident carry Utah, FL etc.

I was wondering about that. Would non-resident permits apply?  I guess not....

Sucks....

3 minutes ago, S&W39 said:

Although NR should be passed, it only pertains to people who have been issued a CCW in their native state. I don't think it helps a NJ resident with a non resident carry Utah, FL etc.

The house version would help those that have a NON resident in one state, carry in every state.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, S&W39 said:

unless they changed it, this is incorrect.

• Like 2

I watched the show too.

Two take-aways that I think the congressman and president of USCCA didn't press Steve Kroft on, and could of nailed him on are the following:

1) We can protect ourselves and families INSIDE our homes but can't CCW and protect ourselves and family OUTSIDE our homes? Are our lives worth less when we leave our houses and go out then when we are home?

2) The 2nd Amendment says "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed", so where is it written that says we shall not be infringed INSIDE our homes, but we CAN be infringed OUTSIDE our homes?

Maybe it was said, and CBS edited those portions out. We don't know. I'm sure CBS edited out parts that would hurt their narrative.

So, CBS and Kroft tried to use the "Big City" smokescreen as the reason to keep NR from being legalized.

I also watched the video clip on the 60 minutes web site where Croft and the Pres of USCCA actual went out on the streets of NYC and Kroft asked him (since he wasn't carrying) if he felt safe. The last thing the Pres said to Kroft was, "even though CCW is illegal in NYC, I can guarantee there were people walking past us carrying weapons, you just don't know who they are".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S&W39 said:

It could help in bringing on cases.  How can I be expected not to carry when every Tom, Dick and Harry from another state can? Someone from Maine where there is no vetting can come here and carry and I can't? Where is the even distribution of rights under the 14th amendment then?  It could open doors.

• Like 2

It could help in bringing on cases.  How can I be expected not to carry when every Tom, Dick and Harry from another state can? Someone from Maine where there is no vetting can come here and carry and I can't? Where is the even distribution of rights under the 14th amendment then?  It could open doors.

And again, that would only happen if 1) it passes, and 2) the wording ends up changed from what has passed the House.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

unless they changed it, this is incorrect.

That will never fly under equal protection.  Just imagine anyone from 48 other states carrying in NJ while NJ residents are precluded.

15 minutes ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

Here's the entire broadcast.    CBS 60 minutes - 02/11/2018....  Be prepared to disable "Ad Blocker" if you have it enabled.

nope....not willing to disable adblocker. sucks, 'cause i missed it, and wouldn't mind catching it. i'll check on demand tonight to see if it's still available.

7 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

nope....not willing to disable adblocker. sucks, 'cause i missed it, and wouldn't mind catching it. i'll check on demand tonight to see if it's still available.

If you want, you can disable it just for this site. I had to do that. All it enabled was just the commercials within the video. There aren't any "pop ups" or things like that.

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

Try this link, I have Ad Blocker turned on and can watch the replay video:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kroft-talks-guns-and-concealed-carry-reciprocity-act/

Or, try this one for the show:

https://www.cbsnews.com/videos/the-showdown-over-the-concealed-carry-reciprocity-act

This is the actual show replay, about 13 minutes.

The Overtime video is there too, in the side panel, approx. 6 minutes.

https://www.cbsnews.com/videos/kroft-talks-guns-and-concealed-carry-reciprocity

The 60 Minutes Overtime video, where they did a little bit more and went out on the streets of NYC. It's on Youtube:

Is "60 minutes" that stupid to make 2A as "red" states vs "blue" states ? Or that gullible to think "no one was carrying in NY" ? Did 60 minutes dare to goto busy cities of carry states, stand in the middle of the street and see if they get shot just because its legal to carry ? 

Way to show "balanced" view. 

I think the spin that angered me the most in this presentation was the effort of 60 Minutes to make it look like all police are against citizen carry. That carries a lot of weight with a populous that respects the law enforcement community. I think what your average Joe doesn't realize is that the opinion represented by the LEO's on the show was that of the upper echelon - chiefs, commissioners etc. Those that are political appointees and have to espouse the party line in order to keep their jobs.

They would get a totally different result if they polled the rank & file officer. The ones on the street that interact with the community on a daily basis. Here is an interesting survey that I ran across, that makes that point very well...

https://www.policeone.com/gun-legislation-law-enforcement/articles/6186552-Police-Gun-Control-Survey-Are-legally-armed-citizens-the-best-solution-to-gun-violence/

Nothing on that show was unexpected but it was disappointing nonetheless.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Pizza Bob said:

I think the spin that angered me the most in this presentation was the effort of 60 Minutes to make it look like all police are against citizen carry. That carries a lot of weight with a populous that respects the law enforcement community. I think what your average Joe doesn't realize is that the opinion represented by the LEO's on the show was that of the upper echelon - chiefs, commissioners etc. Those that are political appointees and have to espouse the party line in order to keep their jobs.

They would get a totally different result if they polled the rank & file officer. The ones on the street that interact with the community on a daily basis. Here is an interesting survey that I ran across, that makes that point very well...

https://www.policeone.com/gun-legislation-law-enforcement/articles/6186552-Police-Gun-Control-Survey-Are-legally-armed-citizens-the-best-solution-to-gun-violence/

Adios,

Pizza Bob

And that it's only in the "rural"  areas of the country that those "gun nut rubes" exist....   <smh> 

Not only would the Rank and file beg to differ, but also some of the Sheriffs would also differ in counties pretty much out side major inner cities...

National Reciprocity bill has been sitting on McConnell's desk for a year and he has yet to put it on the floor to a vote. Pressure for a vote may have been building lately but after this latest FL shooting, does anyone believe we'll ever see a vote on National Reciprocity?

7 minutes ago, PD2K said:

National Reciprocity bill has been sitting on McConnell's desk for a year and he has yet to put it on the floor to a vote. Pressure for a vote may have been building lately but after this latest FL shooting, does anyone believe we'll ever see a vote on National Reciprocity?

Did this lunatic in Florida have a ccw? No...

problem is 60

On 2/12/2018 at 1:39 PM, Pizza Bob said:

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Great article! If the poll were taken from NJ LEOs only, I think the outcome would be very different! I love this ending comment by the author regarding complying with a gun ban.

"I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice."

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”