JimB1

Browning ends production of the Hi-Power after 80 years

32 posts in this topic

It is a shame but there are more out there than I could ever afford. Almost bought a Syrian this past week. Then I found out there is an Egyptian contact too both with great crests. Plus the Nazi and Finn ones. That right there is $10k in available Hi-Powers that are all made better than today and have history behind them

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lucky to have bought a few over the years - an inglis - a immediate post war blued and an E preifx....great guns...but value will now just go up and up
I don't have a Hi-Power yet. I will add one eventually. Maybe use my latest round of permits I will be applying for to get one. One is being used for S&W 1917 .45ACP, would like to use one on a CZ-38 with SA Stamp, and a Hi-Power sounds like a good idea for the third, or a 1934 or 1935 Beretta.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

It is long overdue, adios.

Haters gonna hate.....screw those polymer wonders..... 

 

The hi power ....when guns were steel and wood and men stood to pee.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still have my HP from the 70's and it still is a working gun in service.  I do have polymer wonders too but the HP still has a place.  A bit heavy by todays standards and my G19 has replaced it for a go to gun.  I carried it for years when I was told to get a serious gun.  It always fed hollow points well back in the day and never hiccupped.

It now resides in a desk draw and I'm as secure with it as I ever was.

Big mistake discontinuing.

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Haters gonna hate.....screw those polymer wonders..... 
 
The hi power ....when guns were steel and wood and men stood to pee.
Yup now these girly men run around with plastic pistols and worry about ounces of weight.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was surprised when I saw that they were discontinued. I was hoping for a while that Browning would have tried to experiment and maybe modernize the Hi Power. Maybe add a rail, or even try a poly-frame with the rail.  I love the ones that I have. I have been thinking of trying out one of the Regent's that have been imported recently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do you need to modernize a perfect fighting firearm?

 

Rails....polymer......gimmicks.  :)

 

Mine have fed everything I have ever thrown at them.....not one and I mean one hiccup....

 

Perfect ergonomics......  awesome pointability.....thin.....balanced.....whats not to like !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I was surprised when I saw that they were discontinued. I was hoping for a while that Browning would have tried to experiment and maybe modernize the Hi Power. Maybe add a rail, or even try a poly-frame with the rail.  I love the ones that I have. I have been thinking of trying out one of the Regent's that have been imported recently.

 

Please don't add rails to a Hi-Power. That is almost as bad as chopping up a Garand.

 

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

 

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Perfect ergonomics......  awesome pointability.....thin.....balanced.....whats not to like !

Magazine disconnect safety, low capacity, heavy and bad triggers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Magazine disconnect safety, low capacity, heavy and bad triggers.

 

Mag disconnect safety can be removed.  15 round mags are available.  Trigger is much better after removal of mag disconnect safety.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If it is so great, why they stop production?


Because most new firearms buyers today want tacti-cool and are worried about ounces, because they aren't man enough to carry steel and wood.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

If it is so great, why they stop production?

Because unlike the 1911, Browning is really the only one to produce the Hi Power.  Meanwhile, 1911 designs are rampant...

Hi Power Manufacturers:
FN
Browning
Fabricaciones Militares (FM)
RFI - Rifle Factory Ishapore (Pistol Auto 9mm 1A)
FEG (Clone)
Charles Daly (Clone)
Norinco (Unlicensed Clone)


Meanwhile... 1911's are made by...
American Classic
American Tactical
A&R Sales
AMT
Armi Dallera Custom (ADC)
Armscor
Astra
ATI
Australian Precision Arms
Auto Ordnance
Briley
Brixia
Brolin Arms
Browning (reduced-size .22 and .380 copies)
Bunker Arms
Cabot
Carolina Arms
Caspian (slides and frames only)
Charles Daly
Christensen Arms
Cimarron
Citadel
CO Arms
Colt (commercial and US/foreign gov't contract from 1911 to present day)
Chiappa (.22LR 1911 copy)
Crown City
Cylinder & Slide
CZ USA
Dan Wesson
Detonics
Devel
Dlask Arms
D&L Sports
Double Star
Ed Brown
EMF
Federal Ordnance
Falcon
Firestorm
Freedom Arms
Fusion
Gemini Custom
Girsan
Griffon Combat
GSG (.22LR 1911 copy)
Guncrafter Industries
Gunsite
Hero Guns
High Standard
Imbel
Imperial Defense
Infinity
Inland Manufacturing
Interstate Arms (Regent)
Interarms
Irwindale Arms Industries (IAI)
Israeli Arms Industries (also called IAI)
Ithaca (new business located in Sandusky, OH)
Ithaca (old NY-based company, made pistols under US gov't contract 1943-1945)
Iver Johnson
Karl Lippard
Kimber
Kongsberg (M/1914 pistol manufactured in Norway under Colt license)
LAR
Les Baer
Llama
Lone Star
Magnum Research (Bul)
Maximus Custom
Metro Arms
Michigan Armament
Mitchell
MP Express
National Ordnance
Nighthawk
Norinco
North American Arms Co. Ltd. (US gov't contract in 1918, ~100 pistols assembled but not delivered)
Nowlin
Palmetto State Armory 
Para Ordnance/Para USA
Pistol Dynamics
Olympic Arms
Omega Defense
Oriskany Arms
Peter Stahl
Randall
Ranger
Reeder Custom
Regent
Remington Arms (current business)
Remington Rand (made pistols under US gov't contract 1942-1945, not affiliated with Remington Arms or Remington-UMC)
Remington-UMC (US gov't contract 1918-1919) NOTE: ~1000 replicas were made by Remington Arms and Turnbull in 2014)
Republic Forge
Roberts Defense
Rock Island Armory
Rock River Arms
Ruger
Safari Arms
S.A.M
Salient Arms
Sarco
Schroeder Bauman
Shooters Arms (Philippines)
Sig Sauer
Singer (US gov't contract, 500 pistols produced in 1941)
Sistema (aka D.G.F.M.-F.M.A.P.) (M1927 pistol manufactured in Argentina under Colt license)
Smith & Wesson
South Fork Arms/Perkins Custom
Springfield Armory (former military arsenal in MA, made M1911s from 1914-1917 under US gov't contract)
Springfield Armory (commercial business established in 1974, not associated with above)
STI
SVI
Tanfoglio
Taurus
Taylor & Co.
TİSAŞ
Turnbull Mfg.
Ultimate Arms
Unertl
Union Switch & Signal (US gov't contract, 1943)
Uselton/Ultimate Arms
USFA
Walther/Umarex (.22LR 1911 copy)
Wilson Combat
Valtro
Victory Arms
Volkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, capt14k said:

Because most new firearms buyers today want tacti-cool and are worried about ounces, because they aren't man enough to carry steel and wood.

 

But 1911s are doing well and they are bigger, heavier and are more expensive.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Because unlike the 1911, Browning is really the only one to produce the Hi Power.  Meanwhile, 1911 designs are rampant...

Hi Power Manufacturers:
FN
Browning
Fabricaciones Militares (FM)
RFI - Rifle Factory Ishapore (Pistol Auto 9mm 1A)
FEG (Clone)
Charles Daly (Clone)
Norinco (Unlicensed Clone)


Meanwhile... 1911's are made by...
American Classic
American Tactical
A&R Sales
AMT
Armi Dallera Custom (ADC)
Armscor
Astra
ATI
Australian Precision Arms
Auto Ordnance
Briley
Brixia
Brolin Arms
Browning (reduced-size .22 and .380 copies)
Bunker Arms
Cabot
Carolina Arms
Caspian (slides and frames only)
Charles Daly
Christensen Arms
Cimarron
Citadel
CO Arms
Colt (commercial and US/foreign gov't contract from 1911 to present day)
Chiappa (.22LR 1911 copy)
Crown City
Cylinder & Slide
CZ USA
Dan Wesson
Detonics
Devel
Dlask Arms
D&L Sports
Double Star
Ed Brown
EMF
Federal Ordnance
Falcon
Firestorm
Freedom Arms
Fusion
Gemini Custom
Girsan
Griffon Combat
GSG (.22LR 1911 copy)
Guncrafter Industries
Gunsite
Hero Guns
High Standard
Imbel
Imperial Defense
Infinity
Inland Manufacturing
Interstate Arms (Regent)
Interarms
Irwindale Arms Industries (IAI)
Israeli Arms Industries (also called IAI)
Ithaca (new business located in Sandusky, OH)
Ithaca (old NY-based company, made pistols under US gov't contract 1943-1945)
Iver Johnson
Karl Lippard
Kimber
Kongsberg (M/1914 pistol manufactured in Norway under Colt license)
LAR
Les Baer
Llama
Lone Star
Magnum Research (Bul)
Maximus Custom
Metro Arms
Michigan Armament
Mitchell
MP Express
National Ordnance
Nighthawk
Norinco
North American Arms Co. Ltd. (US gov't contract in 1918, ~100 pistols assembled but not delivered)
Nowlin
Palmetto State Armory 
Para Ordnance/Para USA
Pistol Dynamics
Olympic Arms
Omega Defense
Oriskany Arms
Peter Stahl
Randall
Ranger
Reeder Custom
Regent
Remington Arms (current business)
Remington Rand (made pistols under US gov't contract 1942-1945, not affiliated with Remington Arms or Remington-UMC)
Remington-UMC (US gov't contract 1918-1919) NOTE: ~1000 replicas were made by Remington Arms and Turnbull in 2014)
Republic Forge
Roberts Defense
Rock Island Armory
Rock River Arms
Ruger
Safari Arms
S.A.M
Salient Arms
Sarco
Schroeder Bauman
Shooters Arms (Philippines)
Sig Sauer
Singer (US gov't contract, 500 pistols produced in 1941)
Sistema (aka D.G.F.M.-F.M.A.P.) (M1927 pistol manufactured in Argentina under Colt license)
Smith & Wesson
South Fork Arms/Perkins Custom
Springfield Armory (former military arsenal in MA, made M1911s from 1914-1917 under US gov't contract)
Springfield Armory (commercial business established in 1974, not associated with above)
STI
SVI
Tanfoglio
Taurus
Taylor & Co.
TİSAŞ
Turnbull Mfg.
Ultimate Arms
Unertl
Union Switch & Signal (US gov't contract, 1943)
Uselton/Ultimate Arms
USFA
Walther/Umarex (.22LR 1911 copy)
Wilson Combat
Valtro
Victory Arms
Volkman

Why was Kahr left off the list?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I want a gently used Hi Power! It WILL be my next pistol purchase! Can someone please tell me what I should look for in a used Hi Power? Serial range, features etc!  Thanks.
There are a lot of variations. I would say narrow it down to timeframe you are looking for first. Then military or commercial.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now



  • Latest Topics

  • Posts

    • I really don't think the detective that reviews applications knew either.  To pass the NRA basic pistol course, you have to shoot a qualifier at the end of the course.  The three achievement levels are called red, white, and blue.  You have to successfully achieve the red (easiest) level to pass the basic pistol class.  Note:  everybody who actually puts in any effort passes the class. Qualification for Level 1: Red is four five shot groups within the four-inch circle at 10 feet.
      Qualification for Level 2: White is four five shot groups within the four-inch circle at 15 feet.
      Qualification for Level 3: Blue is four five shot groups within the four-inch circle at 20 feet. The NRA also has a marksmanship qualification program where you can achieve several different levels from "basic" through "distinguished expert".
    • My wife was talking about us moving back to South Dakota after we retire.  We spent a lot of time there when I was on active duty.  Much lower property taxes, lower cost of living, very friendly 2A laws, beautiful part of the country as we were minutes from Mt Rushmore.  The winters can be hell, but it tends to keep a lot of the riff-raff out. The state is the size of PA with less than a million people total.  Nice place to make the retirement dollars stretch further if things don't get any better here.  
    • PA state ranges can attract an undesirable element at times.  Look for gun club ranges all over the NE PA area.  Have one just across the DWG area where membership is the same price (East Bangor Sportsman's Assn,).  In fact they have quite a few NJ members.  Most will ask for copy of your FID card as they require signed forms for background checks of PA applicants.
    • Ya, but what’s the penalty for non compliance? Will they enforce it like they enforce immigration laws? Does anyone know what happened to the bill proposed in January about featureless ARs?
    • They are available again.  I may have bought several $100 worth of these from this seller over the past year.  They always bring them back ever couple of weeks.
  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.