Haddoncoach

Smith & Wesson Model 41 .22

I’m interested in learning more about the S&W Model 41.  I own a Colt Woodsman Target And am considering adding a 41 to my collection.  I like to shoot what I own but I also like to take care of some of my gems.  Would (generally speaking) this be a good  shooter or am I better of getting a Ruger IV for shooting at the club?

educated opinions are appreciated!

I own an A-prefix Model 41 (1978 production) with both 7 and 5.5" barrels

If you can find one for under $700 grab it.

It's the best .22 semi auto handgun available unless you are willing to go to the very top end (High Standard Victor - out of production for a while now, or the Hammerli-type free pistols)

You're welcome to shoot mine either of the next 2 Saturdays at SJSC. I'm the RSO on duty up top both days. Let me know and I'll bring it down.

I've had a model 41 since the mid-80's...in fact, it was my first pistol.  Bought it after I graduated college, after having shot for a few years on their pistol team.  I wanted to find a high standard supermatic citation-which is what I shot on the team-or a victor, but couldn't find either one.  I looked a bit at the Rugers, too.  At the time they were just moving to Mk II, I think, and they were good, but they have a reputation for being a pain to take apart & particularly put back together.  Adding to this, my grandfather had an M-41, too...so I bought the M-41.

Anyhow, after somewhere between 50,000 and 100,000 rounds down its pipe, it now has occasional jamming issues.  S&W tells me that it needs a new barrel and slide....which they will do for around $600, as mine is an old Bangor-Punta pistol, and not covered by the current S&W "lifetime warranty".  Since I wasn't shooting competitively anymore, I couldn't see paying that much....let alone the $1200 or so for a new one.

I then bought a nearly-new Ruger Mk III - the base model, with fixed sights - from someone here on this list.  Even though they are still a PIA to put back together (UNLESS you follow the instructions EXACTLY....then they aren't that bad), its a nice accurate little pistol...fits the hand well, not too heavy, not too light, not ammo sensitive (Did I mention the Model 41 can be picky when it comes to ammo?  They are.....) for less than half the repair price of the model 41.

The Ruger Mark IVs, I understand, have fixed the little *()%#@$% lever on the back that makes them such a joy to reassemble....so I'd go for one of them!

Just now, RichP said:

Its a great shooter, and the way that its built, I can't see it wearing out in 5 lifetimes.

Lemme know when you want to see what a worn-out M41 looks like!

My breech and bolt face are 3 to 4 times the battering of this one

120654_dd9a1930f27f47d44ff49ac35759566e.jpg

20 hours ago, W2MC said:

I looked a bit at the Rugers, too.  ...they have a reputation for being a pain to take apart & particularly put back together.

Cure your reassembly woes with this...

http://majesticarms.com/id10.html

Adios,

Pizza Bob

50K-100K rounds down the pipe before major servicing is a win in my book. Lol

I like my S&W Model 41 as it’s a classic. Something I would pass on to my kid. Would I pay $1,000+ for one? No, but if I got a clean one in the $800 +/- range from GB or private party, I know I would not lose money on it as a shooter as long as I didn’t abuse it or do something stupid like scratch the bluing. There’s a collector market and somewhat limited supply.

Also, the barrels are easily interchangeable so you can get a Clark Custom with an Ultradot or what not if you’re really serious about Bullseye.

Rimfire Central is a great place to learn more and ask any questions.

Your Woodsman is a great little .22, one I would like to own.

What would be your primary use? For plinking, the Ruger is a fine gun, but for serious target work, I would go with the 41.

I have several .22 handguns including a S&W 41 and a MKII Ruger Gov't Target. The one I grab the most for the range is the Ruger, but the most fun is my custom Buckmark set up for steel.

The Ruger or Buckmark are  cheaper to buy and modify. Keep in mind, the Ruger serializes its barrel, so if you plan on modding make sure you like the barrel.

Someone mentioned that the Model 41 can be picky when it comes to ammo, they are correct. Mine does jam, and produces very different results depending on ammo. Also, only SV ammo is recommended. My MKII and Buckmark eat anything.

Wow, lots of great feedback and info on this topic!  Thanks!

I think I am going to go with one of the Ruger MK IV’s.

The stainless steel bull barrel Target, the Competition or the Hunter?  

I’ve priced each at Shooters in Egg Harbor - who stocks these and is competitively priced down here in S. Jersey - I’d rather do business with a local business than save $5 on GB and never know who I’m dealing with.

2 hours ago, Haddoncoach said:

Wow, lots of great feedback and info on this topic!  Thanks!

I think I am going to go with one of the Ruger MK IV’s.

The stainless steel bull barrel Target, the Competition or the Hunter?  

I’ve priced each at Shooters in Egg Harbor - who stocks these and is competitively priced down here in S. Jersey - I’d rather do business with a local business than save $5 on GB and never know who I’m dealing with.

For south jersey contact Jack @JT Custom Guns much better choice than buying at Shooters. 609-709-1346 / 609-312-7791

• Like 1

On 2/11/2018 at 3:23 PM, WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot said:

50K-100K rounds down the pipe before major servicing is a win in my book. Lol

True....but it came down to a question of economics.  I'm not shooting 3-gun bullseye anymore, and a base-model Ruger is more than accurate enough, not ammo-finicky, and in almost new condition cost less than half the price to repair the M-41. AND I still have the M-41, and have been watching the used parts market off-and-on for a better barrel n slide. I'll get one eventually. :)