NJJoe22

Pistol Match for newb

Hi all, Im looking for some info to get started in pistol matches. I've never shot in any type of match/competition before, but also have been shooting for some time now. Looking on info as to where I can go to get started, any equipment needed? Is showing up with a glock 19 acceptable? Im in Wayne, nj, so something within and hour drive at most. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

Hi all, Im looking for some info to get started in pistol matches. I've never shot in any type of match/competition before, but also have been shooting for some time now. Looking on info as to where I can go to get started, any equipment needed? Is showing up with a glock 19 acceptable? Im in Wayne, nj, so something within and hour drive at most. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

Go to steelscoring.com and sign up for an event at CJRPC or OBCATS. USPSA or Steel Knockdown would be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

If you want to go easy look for bowling pin matches.  You're not working from a holster and you're shooting by yourself against the clock not with other shooters.

Don't go out there figuring your going to astound everyone with your abilities.  Shoot at a speed you're comfortable with.  Strive for accuracy. Speed will come later.

If you want to start off easy. 

Bowling pins- just working with time

Plates-  time and a holster

USPSA-  holster, time, reloading required, movement

A Glock 19 is fine for any of these.

JMO

• Like 1

We are holding an intro to USPSA course at Shongum I believe I n April. It will be comprised of classroom learning plus live fire shooting a couple of stages. Knockdown steel at Old Bridge is a great match to start with as you start at low ready so no drawing from the holster is used and there is little movement.

• Like 1

Another great starting point is IDPA. There is a match coming up at SCFGPA (Somerset County Fish & Game Protective Association) in Bridgewater, not too far off Rt 202. You do need some experience shooting and the main thing is to be safe There is a safety briefing, for new shooters (new to IDPA) before the match. This is a small match consisting of 4 stages. You can register here...

http://www.somersetidpa.com/matches/

I'll PM you some other relevant information.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 2

At first you might want to try a match with no movement. You start at a single spot and shoot at either plates or paper targets. There will typically be around 5 stages with different target arrangements, sizes, and distances.

The Glock matches are great for beginners although there are not many in a given area. The next one in NJ is in June.

The steel matches at OBRPC are also good for a first time match (and you don't have to be a member to shoot there). They are on the 1st and 3rd Sundays of each month. You can even shoot them with a .22 if you want to and you don't need a holster (you start in the low ready position). 5 or 6 stages with 5 plates each. With anything but a .22 you would draw from a holster but you don't have to. You can also start at the low ready position but in that case you would receive additional seconds penalty. Their matches start at 9 am but get there earlier at 08:15 - 08:30 to go through the new shooters walk through (not necessarily new to shooting but new to that competition). You can register for the matches at www.steelscoring.com or you can just come and register at the match (preregistration is much easier to do) It might be a little far from you but shooters even come from PA and NY.

The only other equipment you would need is 5 or 6 magazines (If you don't have that many magazines other people will usually help you loading your magazines while you are shooting). You can put the magazines on the start table. OB has a new shooters page that will give you a feeling for the matches (thanks Adam): http://www.obsteelchallenge.com/new-shooters-steel-challenge Also bring lots of ammo. If you only needed one bullet per target you would require 150 cartridges for 6 stages x 5 targets x 5 runs/stage so 250 - 300 should be enough.

Don't worry about your times just go out to have fun. Check out youtube for video's of the matches.

Beware that it can become addictive :)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NJJoe22 said:

Tenafly host weekly indoor matches on Sunday evenings. Very low key and new shooter friendly. good place to try some of the various type of matches. Holster not required but good to have (no serpas). tonight is knockdown steel. I'd go and try it out or just watch. bring a handgun, 4-5 mags and about 125-200 rounds of ammo. Also asked to be put on email list to get info on upcoming events.

Tenafly Rifle & Pistol Club
157 Grove Street
Tenafly, NJ  07670

Hello Shooters!

This Sunday we will be having a Pro Am / Knock Down match.

5:00 Registration begins. $10. shooting fee.
5:30 Registration closes. No late comers.
5:30 First shot

No major loads. No 230gr fmj 45acp. No rimfire. No shotguns.

What to bring: Centerfire pistol or revolver / Pistol caliber carbine
No more than 10 rounds in a magazine allowed; bring enough magazines to complete the stage.

Arriving early to help set up or staying after the match to clean up is much appreciated.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NJGF said:

At first you might want to try a match with no movement. You start at a single spot and shoot at either plates or paper targets. There will typically be around 5 stages with different target arrangements, sizes, and distances.

The Glock matches are great for beginners although there are not many in a given area. The next one in NJ is in June.

The steel matches at OBRPC are also good for a first time match (and you don't have to be a member to shoot there). They are on the 1st and 3rd Sundays of each month. You can even shoot them with a .22 if you want to and you don't need a holster (you start in the low ready position). 5 or 6 stages with 5 plates each. With anything but a .22 you would draw from a holster but you don't have to. You can also start at the low ready position but in that case you would receive additional seconds penalty. Their matches start at 9 am but get there earlier at 08:15 - 08:30 to go through the new shooters walk through (not necessarily new to shooting but new to that competition). You can register for the matches at www.steelscoring.com or you can just come and register at the match (preregistration is much easier to do) It might be a little far from you but shooters even come from PA and NY.

The only other equipment you would need is 5 or 6 magazines (If you don't have that many magazines other people will usually help you loading your magazines while you are shooting). You can put the magazines on the start table. OB has a new shooters page that will give you a feeling for the matches (thanks Adam): http://www.obsteelchallenge.com/new-shooters-steel-challenge Also bring lots of ammo. If you only needed one bullet per target you would require 150 cartridges for 6 stages x 5 targets x 5 runs/stage so 250 - 300 should be enough.

Don't worry about your times just go out to have fun. Check out youtube for video's of the matches.

Beware that it can become addictive :)

This is the best post in this thread (except for the part about the Glock match) no offense NJGF but glock matches are a joke, they are almost as boring as IDPA. But hey that's just my opinion, if you like spending half a day on the range to shoot 40 rounds glock matches and IDPA might be for you.

NJJoe22, you should shoot them all and find what is for you. Like I said though, what NJGF said about steel witch is actually called steel challenge, is the best place for everyone to start. Old bridge calls it real deal steel and steel challenge, one is mostly official stages the other is the same but not exactly measured out. You tube has tons of videos just type steel challenge in the search, Doug Koenig has some good videos with some good tips. 

When you get to the range don't take your gun out of the bag/box until you tell someone you are new and ask what the safe table rules are and how to use it.

I hate it when people post what to do and not why to do it so here is a few reasons why I say everyone should start with steel challenge.

There's no movement in steel challenge. I see so many people there first couple of matches with movement running around and breaking the 180 because there is so much going on that they can't concentrate on their muzzle which should be the only thing you are thinking about. It's intimidating for most people at USPSA matches and that makes it harder to concentrate on safety, sounds ridiculous but it's true.

There is the same safety rules at steel challenge, here are the big two. Do not break the 180 and keep your finger out of the trigger guard and resting on the frame when you are moving, reloading or doing anything besides shooting at a target. It's a lot easier to concentrate, remember and use these rules when you don't have to think about your stage plan, where all the targets are and all that stuff. 

Getting disqualified your first time out sucks, I've seen so many people come out for their first match at USPSA, get DQed on their first stage and never come back. I'm not trying to scare you away from USPSA here its actually really easy and a ton of fun. I obviously dont know you and you might be a natural at USPSA.

You get to shoot alot in steel challenge and shooting alot makes you a better shooter. No one ever taught me shit but I shoot a lot so I'm pretty good. 

1 hour ago, ronhonda said:

Tenafly host weekly indoor matches on Sunday evenings. Very low key and new shooter friendly. good place to try some of the various type of matches. Holster not required but good to have (no serpas). tonight is knockdown steel. I'd go and try it out or just watch. bring a handgun, 4-5 mags and about 125-200 rounds of ammo. Also asked to be put on email list to get info on upcoming events.

Tenafly Rifle & Pistol Club
157 Grove Street
Tenafly, NJ  07670

Hello Shooters!

This Sunday we will be having a Pro Am / Knock Down match.

5:00 Registration begins. $10. shooting fee.
5:30 Registration closes. No late comers.
5:30 First shot

No major loads. No 230gr fmj 45acp. No rimfire. No shotguns.

What to bring: Centerfire pistol or revolver / Pistol caliber carbine
No more than 10 rounds in a magazine allowed; bring enough magazines to complete the stage.

Arriving early to help set up or staying after the match to clean up is much appreciated.

@ronhonda is this every Sunday night at 5pm? I will try to get there in the next week or so. Thanks!

[mention=2197]ronhonda[/mention] is this every Sunday night at 5pm? I will try to get there in the next week or so. Thanks!

Yes . I'll pm you the info for next week when I get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2/10/2018 at 4:22 PM, NJJoe22 said:

So.  Did you further this venture?   If not.  Lets revisit it.  Whatcha got?