slickskin

How can I store a firearm legally

I'm new to this. I don't even have the FID card yet. If I get approved for one and buy a handgun or shotgun, where would be a good place to keep it.

Am I allowed to keep it unlocked in my house if I don't live alone. It's just me and my mom in the house but she doesn't have and FID card or any permits. Is there some kind of gun storage locker that I could rent somewhere if for whatever reason I didn't want it in the house?

I'm new to this. I don't even have the FID card yet. If I get approved for one and buy a handgun or shotgun, where would be a good place to keep it.

Am I allowed to keep it unlocked in my house if I don't live alone. It's just me and my mom in the house but she doesn't have and FID card or any permits. Is there some kind of gun storage locker that I could rent somewhere if for whatever reason I didn't want it in the house?

Your firearm, your house keep it however you want. I recommend loaded in easy reach. Being I have kids mine are in safes, but at least one accessible on each floor. Next to bed I have one of those single pistol safes that pops open.

If you have not yet applied for your P2P do it now! Murphy is going to make it harder to get very soon!

As for storage, just use common sense and keep out of the reach of any children who may visit.

These might be good.

These are better!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

All over 18 in the house?  Locked and loaded for home defense within easy reach as @capt14k states.

Don't over think it.

Yeah, the only other person in the house is my mom who doesn't have an FID but won't be handling the gun and she's mentally stable with no criminal background lol. I'm just wondering if there is a rule about keeping it in your house when you don't live alone.

27 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

If you have not yet applied for your P2P do it now! Murphy is going to make it harder to get very soon!

As for storage, just use common sense and keep out of the reach of any children who may visit.

These might be good.

These are better!

Yeah I already made a separate thread ranting about ridiculous gun control measures in NJ. I'm actually not talking about handguns though, I only want a shotgun. Do you think he'll try to block people buying long guns also more than they already are?

4 minutes ago, slickskin said:

Yeah, the only other person in the house is my mom who doesn't have an FID but won't be handling the gun and she's mentally stable with no criminal background lol. I'm just wondering if there is a rule about keeping it in your house when you don't live alone.

Yeah I already made a separate thread ranting about ridiculous gun control measures in NJ. I'm actually not talking about handguns though, I only want a shotgun. Do you think he'll try to block people buying long guns also more than they already are?

seinfeld-you-better-believe-it.jpg

• Like 1

Slick like others have said don't over think it. No minors in the house makes your options much easier. Like you in the beginning i was worried about leaving a loaded gun around the house. I had new born child and a 3 year old. Here is the problem with guns...1 becomes 2 then 2 becomes 10 and before you know it your drawing up plans to build a gun room in the basement of your home. Im currently in the process lol.

start with a quick access pistol safe to keep by your bed side. Check amazon they have plenty available 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GramGun79 said:

Slick like others have said don't over think it. No minors in the house makes your options much easier. Like you in the beginning i was worried about leaving a loaded gun around the house. I had new born child and a 3 year old. Here is the problem with guns...1 becomes 2 then 2 becomes 10 and before you know it your drawing up plans to build a gun room in the basement of your home. Im currently in the process lol.

start with a quick access pistol safe to keep by your bed side. Check amazon they have plenty available 

I was only asking if it would legally be a problem to leave the shotgun in my closet for example without it being locked. I'll probably keep the shells separate from it when I'm not using it though.

15 minutes ago, slickskin said:

Blah I hate this state so much. I want to move to Florida or Texas. There's nothing in New Jersey but cold weather, traffic, and excessive gun control lol.

Actually Arizona is the state that affords it’s residents their constitutional 2nd amendment rights more appropriately 

5 minutes ago, slickskin said:

I was only asking if it would legally be a problem to leave the shotgun in my closet for example without it being locked. I'll probably keep the shells separate from it when I'm not using it though.

Whatever makes you comfortable. I personally want my weapon ready to go if someone breaks in my house. As far as legality your good to go. loaded or unloaded no lock or safes needed. Just be safe.