voyager9

Damned potholes

Driving to pick up my daughter from my MIL’s. Hit a pothole, but didn’t seem like much. 5 minutes later the low-air light comes on and the console reads 3lbs in my right-rear.   Pull into a development, get it up on jack and bolts off. Tire won’t budge. Pouring rain, getting dark. MIL has dinner reservations and now I’m late. Donkey kick that mother F’er and finally got it to break free. 

Will say the computer in the car was smart enough to recognize the spare was now attached and switched the errors (spare low air). It didn’t do that right away and kept reading the tire in the trunk until I started rolling. 

I know how you feel! Flats never happen on nice sunny days! Worst part is that pothole damage to a tire usually means a new tire. Then comes the BS that you gotta buy in pairs or you will screw your car up.....That pothole can cost $400 plus! Good luck with the adventure!:)

2 hours ago, voyager9 said:

Driving to pick up my daughter from my MIL’s. Hit a pothole, but didn’t seem like much. 5 minutes later the low-air light comes on and the console reads 3lbs in my right-rear.   Pull into a development, get it up on jack and bolts off. Tire won’t budge. Pouring rain, getting dark. MIL has dinner reservations and now I’m late. Donkey kick that mother F’er and finally got it to break free. 

Will say the computer in the car was smart enough to recognize the spare was now attached and switched the errors (spare low air). It didn’t do that right away and kept reading the tire in the trunk until I started rolling. 

funny story.

years ago, i drove tow truck part time for the shop i wrenched at. anyway,,,,,,erial-new brooklyn rd near the camden county college. got a flat tire call for aaa. i finish dropping the car i was towing, and went to handle that flat. in the time it took me to change that tire, 3 more cars hit the massive pothole. 1 had aaa, the others didn't. collected cash for those. by the time i finished those three, more hit it. i was there in the rain for nearly 3 hours changing flats. the boss's daughter called me on the radio(she was his weekend dispatcher) wanting to know where the hell i was. when i told her, she called the police(we didn't have cell phones) to come block it. when i went in with my weekends paperwork on monday morning, the boss looked at the wad of cash, and asked me what bank i robbed, lolol.

1 hour ago, JohnnyB said:

I know how you feel! Flats never happen on nice sunny days! Worst part is that pothole damage to a tire usually means a new tire. Then comes the BS that you gotta buy in pairs or you will screw your car up.....That pothole can cost $400 plus! Good luck with the adventure!:)

more often than not these days it's the wheels....they bend. they're essentially cheap arse pos's.

31 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

Yeah... better not be the rim. I don’t even want it to be the tire. They’re fairly new. 

Add this to the fact that I found (and hopefully fixed) a problem with my sunroof that leaked water into my footwell. 

drain.

had to get one straightened last year....it was an alloy wheel, and as you all say;it wasnt cheap, but better than a new one.  I used the guy on route 130 north of burlington...he is pretty good at fixing em; either so they are pretty or, what I paid for...straight decent looking, and do't leak

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

drain.

Yup. Tried to clean it out from the outside with a coffee stirrer. Too packed. Had to clean out the end of the drain directly. Of course it was the drivers side.. so much more s**t under the A-post on the drivers side.  Got it clean, now just drying the floor mat. 

So real question: should I just try to fill the number tire and see if/where it’s leaking?  Or just take it to a shop?

9 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

Yup. Tried to clean it out from the outside with a coffee stirrer. Too packed. Had to clean out the end of the drain directly. Of course it was the drivers side.. so much more s**t under the A-post on the drivers side.  Got it clean, now just drying the floor mat. 

So real question: should I just try to fill the number tire and see if/where it’s leaking?  Or just take it to a shop?

tomorrow when it's light, look at the wheel. you'll probably see the bead bent somewhere. if it's steel, use a deadblow hammer, and you can straighten it out. it won't be perfect, but it'll be ok. if it'a aluminum, then use a plastic mallet. then inflate it to see if the tire's got a puncture in one of the sidewalls or not........

There are very few times I get extra warranties, but tire road hazard warranty is one I always get. I have replaced 3 or 4 tires under warranty, while the added cost was maybe that of 1 extra tire over all the tires I have purchased. Won't help a bent rim, but softens the blow to your wallet a little.