Do people who probably are not allowed to own guns obtain them at an FFL? Probably.

In NJ unlikely. Other states it has happened but I'd rather a few get through than more restrictions on the many. Goes back to the whole if you put security before liberty you deserve neither thing.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

Something smells fishy in here.  Oops there goes my paranoia again.  

Here is the simple answer:  there is no such thing as the gunshow loophole.  It does not exist.

DINGDINGDINGDING! WE HAVE A WINNAH!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, capt14k said:

In NJ unlikely. Other states it has happened but I'd rather a few get through than more restrictions on the many. Goes back to the whole if you put security before liberty you deserve neither thing.

Not sure what you thought I meant but I wasn't implying anything except criminals find ways to get guns illegally even with the best checks and systems.

If they really wanted to stop "gun crimes" they could install metal detectors down the worst streets in the worst cities. Of course that would violate the good people in those cities rights but they are willing to violation the pro-2a peoples rights all the time (especially in NJ)..

Not sure what you thought I meant but I wasn't implying anything except criminals find ways to get guns illegally even with the best checks and systems.
If they really wanted to stop "gun crimes" they could install metal detectors down the worst streets in the worst cities. Of course that would violate the good people in those cities rights but they are willing to violation the pro-2a peoples rights all the time (especially in NJ)..
I figured you were referring to Dylan Roof and Texas Church Shooter

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Rob0115 said:

Something smells fishy in here.  Oops there goes my paranoia again.  

Here is the simple answer:  there is no such thing as the gunshow loophole.  It does not exist.

Well someone one another thread accused me of being Governor Phil Murphy with some agenda trying to chip away at gun rights. But it's just that-- paranoia. Yes I do realize now the gun show loophole is fake news and propaganda from Obama and other democrat politicians. There are videos testing it out where the guy wasn't able to buy without a background check. I wasn't looking to do that myself I was just asking for information as newbies often do.

In fact every post I write people are responding that it sounds "fishy" but you'd think that other people with an interest in guns who probably own them wouldn't see it as suspicious or concerning that someone else would share the same interest. That's why I don't even feel comfortable asking for 2 references for the FID application.

33 minutes ago, slickskin said:

Well someone one another thread accused me of being Governor Phil Murphy with some agenda trying to chip away at gun rights. But it's just that-- paranoia. Yes I do realize now the gun show loophole is fake news and propaganda from Obama and other democrat politicians. There are videos testing it out where the guy wasn't able to buy without a background check. I wasn't looking to do that myself I was just asking for information as newbies often do.

In fact every post I write people are responding that it sounds "fishy" but you'd think that other people with an interest in guns who probably own them wouldn't see it as suspicious or concerning that someone else would share the same interest. That's why I don't even feel comfortable asking for 2 references for the FID application.

I'm very welcoming of new folks, as is all on here, but can't help but feel it's odd when the opening salvo starts with the gunshow loophole.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, slickskin said:

Sometimes when you watch political debates you hear people bringing up something called the "gunshow loophole". What does this mean exactly? That during gun shows or a private sale the vendor might decline to do a background check? Could someone without an NJ FID or even a convicted felon by a weapon there?

Have you tried the search function here?

jus asking 

dont bring up N.J. state ar complience mags... @Krdshrk

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, slickskin said:

Start asking some of your friends that you are thinking of going to a local gun range to check it out.  Gauge their response.  Go from there. 

I' m sure some of the responses you receive will be surprising.  Everything from, "Cool, I'll bring my guns. I'll show you the basics."  To "Why would you want to do that!?" 

Don't know until you ask.  Good luck.

• Like 1

I bought some guns in the early to mid 90s at gun shows.  Some folks would advertise "no paperwork".

Here's what would happen.   You'd buy a no paperwork gun and you'd get rousted by the cops/feds before you got to your car.  At least this happened the first few times.   It didn't take long until you'd walk along a booth and you'd be told just who the cops were and if you made a deal with someone, you'd arrange to meet them off property.

It never happened to me, but it did happen to a friend and some acquaintances.  They'd hold you in the lot and run you for wants and warrants, if you came back clean they'd let you go, but they also put a note in your file and if you bought too many guns, they'd bring you in.   This was early on in the Clinton admin and the ATF had a hard on to bust everyone who bought a gun without a brady check even though at the time the system was garbage and it could take weeks.  I'm thinking it was early 94 and into 95.

I bought some guns in the early to mid 90s at gun shows.  Some folks would advertise "no paperwork".
Here's what would happen.   You'd buy a no paperwork gun and you'd get rousted by the cops/feds before you got to your car.  At least this happened the first few times.   It didn't take long until you'd walk along a booth and you'd be told just who the cops were and if you made a deal with someone, you'd arrange to meet them off property.
It never happened to me, but it did happen to a friend and some acquaintances.  They'd hold you in the lot and run you for wants and warrants, if you came back clean they'd let you go, but they also put a note in your file and if you bought too many guns, they'd bring you in.   This was early on in the Clinton admin and the ATF had a hard on to bust everyone who bought a gun without a brady check even though at the time the system was garbage and it could take weeks.  I'm thinking it was early 94 and into 95.

ATF still troll shows looking for violations and posing as buyers. I've heard about the entrapment by agents posing as sellers, but never seen it first hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 years ago, I was at a very popular gun show many of us have gone to in PA. I came up to a table with a bunch of older revolvers, which I find interesting but not enough to buy one (I'm just into other stuff).

There was an older guy behind the table.  At one point he told me in a low voice, that it was his private collection so no paperwork was needed, if I wanted something we could make a cash deal. I told him I was just looking, and revolvers weren't my thing, then left. I didn't really think anything of it. I figured it was some old dude who didn't know the law, and I wasn't buying anything anyway, so no big deal.

Later on that evening when I was leaving the show I stopped at the taco bell just down the road from the venue. The same old guy, wearing the same clothes, pulled up in a PA State Police SUV marked "Supervisor", and ordered some food. Obviously he was a cop.

Bottom line, don't buy stuff without the proper paperwork and procedures. It might be the cops trying to bust you!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gus said:

2 years ago, I was at a very popular gun show many of us have gone to in PA. I came up to a table with a bunch of older revolvers, which I find interesting but not enough to buy one (I'm just into other stuff).

There was an older guy behind the table.  At one point he told me in a low voice, that it was his private collection so no paperwork was needed, if I wanted something we could make a cash deal. I told him I was just looking, and revolvers weren't my thing, then left. I didn't really think anything of it. I figured it was some old dude who didn't know the law, and I wasn't buying anything anyway, so no big deal.

Later on that evening when I was leaving the show I stopped at the taco bell just down the road from the venue. The same old guy, wearing the same clothes, pulled up in a PA State Police SUV marked "Supervisor", and ordered some food. Obviously he was a cop.

Bottom line, don't buy stuff without the proper paperwork and procedures. It might be the cops trying to bust you!

Wow. That sounds like some serious entrapment for the cop to go out of his way to rent a stand with inventory on display everything and then then tell you that he'll sell to you without paper work. What a jerk.

6 minutes ago, slickskin said:

Wow. That sounds like some serious entrapment for the cop to go out of his way to rent a stand with inventory on display everything and then then tell you that he'll sell to you without paper work. What a jerk.

I always thought the same thing, that it couldn't be legal. But, how many times have we all heard that a drug dealer got busted selling to undercover cops. Seems like the same thing. If they can pose as drug buyers, why not gun sellers?

I'm not a lawyer, but they must have some sort of leeway in order to do it. Or maybe they are just assholes, I don't know.

7 hours ago, slickskin said:

Why ? Its their job. They do this with all sorts of things including posing as underage on online forums, drug buyers etc. In fact, in some of the towns here, they have nothing else to do, so they cross road in plain cloths to see who wouldn't stop for pedestrians crossing road.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, slickskin said:

most of your beginning posts have been posts which would suggest that you may be trying to figure a way around the system. nothing like "what's a good first rifle?" or "what do i need to do to get my fPid?"  you may or may not be trolling, but you gotta look at the questions you've asked, then put yourself on the other side of the monitor.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, capt14k said:

ATF still troll shows looking for violations and posing as buyers. I've heard about the entrapment by agents posing as sellers, but never seen it first hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In Ohio, unlike PA, there are no rules for person to person transfers between Ohio residents.   I've not lived there in 22 years so I can't speak to gun shows there these days.

To ease many here, @slickskin will come to a meetup and say hello.  He also wants to shoot and get into the world of the 2A.  

You can come to longshot this Thursday, ill be there as well as @Krdshrk and @wangsly.

23 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

To ease many here, @slickskin will come to a meetup and say hello.  He also wants to shoot and get into the world of the 2A.  

You can come to longshot this Thursday, ill be there as well as @Krdshrk and @wangsly.

Can't make it Thursday - Chinese New Year...

6 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Like you were there last week?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zeke said:

You should go, find your mags ahead of time though 

I'm going to Sesame Street Live with my daughter on Thursday. If I'm back early enough I'll try to get down there. 

Edit: I know where the pistol mags are, but I still haven't found the shotgun mags. 

• Like 2