Frankie Raffaele

Best double-up hearing protection combo?

So at an indoor shooting range the other day, someone immediately to the left of me shot two 12 gauge rounds the very second that I chose to adjust my left earmuff (complete irresponsibility on my part - i'm aware. Was barely anyone at the range and I stupidly assumed I had a quick second to adjust)

the ER said i tore my eardrum, and I'm going to see the ENT today. it doesn't seem so bad, just have had ringing in the ear for the last week and dullness, but i'm sure if it was very bad I'd know about it. according to google those symptoms will go away when it heals.

I'm guessing the ENT will tell me stay away from the range for a few months, but when i am able to go back I'll surely be doubling up on ear protection. Just wondeirng if anyone would recommend a good combo of ear buds and ear muffs that I can buy. I currently have never used any ear protection besides the ones provided at the range. I don't might if its a little costly but if i can get good protection for cheap that's even better

I highly recommend the Decibullz Plugs.  I have a set of these.  Custom fit to my ears so they're comfortable as heck.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N129AQ8/ref=twister_B06XKPPFB6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Pair 'em with Howard Leight Impact Sports, and I have great hearing protection and can hear people talking.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Foams in ear, and electronic cranked up.

and don’t adjust earpro on the line...

in the mean time I’d earpro up as much as possible to allow it to heal. Sorry about your misfortune 

Thanks! I'll take a look

and yeah, I definitely won't make that mistake again:wacko:

4 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

I highly recommend the Decibullz Plugs.  I have a set of these.  Custom fit to my ears so they're comfortable as heck.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N129AQ8/ref=twister_B06XKPPFB6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Pair 'em with Howard Leight Impact Sports, and I have great hearing protection and can hear people talking.

Awesome thanks!

I think I'll grab the Decibullz Plugs and a pair of these:

https://smile.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Amplification-Electronic-R-01526/dp/B001T7QJ9O/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1518537573&sr=1-3&keywords=howard+leight+ear+protection

You want protection that has the highest NRR (Noise Reduction Rating).

I use these foam plugs that have a NRR of 33:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0033YLEGO/

Together with this Earmuff with a NRR of 30:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B007BGSI5U

As Zeke said crank up the volume so you hear more regular sounds using both.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NJGF said:

You want protection that has the highest NRR (Noise Reduction Rating).

I use these foam plugs that have a NRR of 33:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0033YLEGO/

Together with this Earmuff with a NRR of 30:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B007BGSI5U

As Zeke said crank up the volume so you hear more regular sounds using both.

Thanks, sounds like that's the best option then. I'll order that.

Is it going to really diminish the sound of the gun I'm shooting? I mean, I know that's what I'm looking for, but I'm hoping I'll still be able to enjoy the sound/feel to some extent while still keeping my ear protected.

Guess that's the trade-off for being a dumbass :(

5 minutes ago, Frankie Raffaele said:

Thanks, sounds like that's the best option then. I'll order that.

Is it going to really diminish the sound of the gun I'm shooting? I mean, I know that's what I'm looking for, but I'm hoping I'll still be able to enjoy the sound/feel to some extent while still keeping my ear protected.

Guess that's the trade-off for being a dumbass :(

I don’t feel it will diminish your shooting experience enjoyment significantly.

• Like 2

Just a quick note - Foam plugs are not always the most comfortable.  Also those big howard leights that were recommended because of High NRR are very bulky.  If you're shooting rifles/shotguns, you'll have a hard time getting a good cheek weld.

• Like 1

This is what I use:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0742B9DY9/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B0742B9DY9&pd_rd_wg=TaLBS&pd_rd_r=62QQT219ASCQB0QB3DPQ&pd_rd_w=4TJkV

Expensive, yes but worth it. They seal much better than my old Howard Leight set and are not as bulky as the Pro Ears (also very good)

I do double up when indoors with foam plugs. You can get 50 for about $7 on Amazon.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Greg said:

This is what I use:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0742B9DY9/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B0742B9DY9&pd_rd_wg=TaLBS&pd_rd_r=62QQT219ASCQB0QB3DPQ&pd_rd_w=4TJkV

Expensive, yes but worth it. They seal much better than my old Howard Leight set and are not as bulky as the Pro Ears (also very good)

I do double up when indoors with foam plugs. You can get 50 for about $7 on Amazon.

Holy wallet hemorrhage Greg!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Frankie Raffaele said:

How about these since they are a little less bulky? Will this, along with foam ear plugs, provide adequate protection?

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VWM97KK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2L0ZJ7LC1E2CT&psc=1

Yeah, those are the style you want, not the ones that look like they are made for mowing lawns with them on.
They are much sleeker and let you get that much closer to your rifle. I used to use one of those bulky ones and it was honestly the biggest PITA in the world trying to shoot my bolt action rifle, i could never get a good cheek weld and the thump noise of my muff hitting the stock drove me nuts LOL.

Not sure what your budget is, but this is more of the economy line of Howard's shooting muffs. I have a few of them for guests and TBH i'm not THAT big of a fan of them; they don't seal well with my glasses, but they seem to be THE most popular out there from what i can tell.. Note how many reviews it has.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001T7QJ9O?aaxitk=xn.YE3PVSzGcxH2g0bVo4A&pd_rd_i=B001T7QJ9O&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3507616222&pd_rd_wg=HNd5S&pf_rd_r=XAFSPBGNYP4SR1WZQ5CZ&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-top-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_w=aJEjr&pf_rd_i=Howard+Leight+impact&pd_rd_r=d3a96f5f-d3b5-4597-8af9-a2248a7d460e&hsa_cr_id=1854258050201

1 hour ago, Greg said:

This is what I use:

I use the same ones. Have 3 pairs of the Supreme Pro and one set of Peltor ComTacs. They all have the Gel Seals. Worth every penny. Best money I ever spent on shooting gear.

I’ve had the Peltor’s the longest and they get the most use as they are my training set. They are almost 8 years old and still work perfectly. They’ve been out in the rain, the snow, the cold, the heat. Never missed a beat.

Friends with the Howard Leight models are on multiple pairs after they shit the bed and theyvhave only had them for a year or two.

Buy once, cry once.

• Like 1

Although a little pricey these are very comfortable and work well with long guns. After a day the ones with the head bands can really start to hurt (especially over thicker shooting glasses). I switched to these:

https://smile.amazon.com/WALKERS-GWP-NHE-BT-Bluetooth-Neck-Worn-Hearing/dp/B01MTJLDSA/

They are very low profile and a NRR of 31. They come with a bunch of different types and sizes of replaceable ear plugs including foam. This model has Bluetooth so you can be connected to your phone and receive calls while you are in the middle of a shooting competition (a little distracting :-)  They have other models without Bluetooth that are at a lower price. They are on sale at times and I paid $109 at MidwayUSA last year.

For indoor shooting I would probably still use doubled up earpro as I wouldn't be shooting all day long.

Hey guys quick update,

I just saw an Ear Nose and Throat doctor who told me he doesn't see a tear in my ear. The nurse practitioner at the ER must have had no idea what she was talking about I guess?

I took a hearing test and everything came back normal, no dip in any of the frequencies. He says the ringing and dullness is just from the trauma of the blast and can take a few weeks or even months to go away, but no ear drum damage.

I hate to second guess the doctor's opinion but I'm really curious as to why the nurse practitioner at the ER said she saw a tear. Then again, she didn't seem very knowledgable, since I asked her whether or not I should be prescribed "prednisone or something" and her answer was "well that might cause a problem if you don't really need it but i'll give you a low dose" and basically prescribed it to me based on my own recommendation.

Obviously I'm doubling up on protection from now on anyway.

Anyone else experience a similar trauma from gunshot and can say the ringing lasted for a while then went away? that's really what I'm worried about

• Like 1

Yeah - just like going to a loud concert or whatever - it'll fade away just takes a little bit of time.

You're lucky - 12ga isn't too high pressure or blasty.  It's loud, sure, but not Snappy loud.  A .223/5.56 or even .308 with a muzzle brake is very high pressure and could definitely do more damage.

• Like 3

Similar experience.   I'm in my 80's and worked for over forty years at Newark Airport, so my hearing wasn't great,but not too bad.  About 3 years ago I was at a trap range and the instructor was saying something to me and I couldn't make out what it was.  At that time I was using my old airline ear muffs which worked pretty good..  So I broke the seal on the left earpiece and one or two shots went off next to me.   I didn't notice anything wrong til the next day.

Had the ringing (tinitus) and it sounded like people were mumbling and I had difficulty making out what they were saying..  The ringing was moderately bad and it lasted for about three months and then finally went away.

So, if you aren't having trouble understanding what people are saying, you should be all right.

Unfortunately for me I still have trouble making out what some people are saying. Apparently, I blew out all those fine little hairs in my left ear, so if people aren't speaking clearly,or mumbling or swallowing their words I usually get one word out of three.   Had to get hearing aids but they are mostly just amplifiers and really  don't help with speech clarity, no matter what anyone says..

All the best...  Sounds like you should be OK

Kenny

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Yeah - just like going to a loud concert or whatever - it'll fade away just takes a little bit of time.

You're lucky - 12ga isn't too high pressure or blasty.  It's loud, sure, but not Snappy loud.  A .223/5.56 or even .308 with a muzzle brake is very high pressure and could definitely do more damage.

Hope it all heals. I have permanent ringing from too many concerts when I was younger. It's most noticeable when it's dead silent. Make sure you double up, and may those shooting inappropriate calibers indoors suffer violent diarrhea. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Frankie Raffaele said:

Hey guys quick update,

I just saw an Ear Nose and Throat doctor who told me he doesn't see a tear in my ear. The nurse practitioner at the ER must have had no idea what she was talking about I guess?

I took a hearing test and everything came back normal, no dip in any of the frequencies. He says the ringing and dullness is just from the trauma of the blast and can take a few weeks or even months to go away, but no ear drum damage.

Good news! 

• Like 1

When I was 19 years old and quite stupid, I purchased my first gun. It was a Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge. I found some old reloaded shells in the basement of my parents store and dying to try out my new shotgun, I dumped the the shot from the old paper wad shells and shot a few. A wad got stuck in the barrel and I decided a loaded shell would clear the blockage! What happened instead was the shotgun exploded in my hands and the barrel looked like it was from a scene from a Bugs Bunny cartoon when he stuck his finger in Elmer Fudd's barrel!

I lost total hearing for about 4 hours but luckily survived! I have had ringing in my ears for the last 40 years as a reward for my stupidity! Hearing is not something to play with and I am living proof that the effects of one round of stupidity can and often will last a lifetime!:(

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ray Ray said:

Holy cow

Why "Holy Cow".      83 going on 35.    Our toys keep us young.     Besides, you never know what an "old fart" is carrying in the big ass trunk of that Crown Victoria!!!.     

• Like 5

Just now, 9thMarines said:

Why "Holy Cow".      83 going on 35.    Our toys keep us young.     Besides, you never know what an "old fart" is carrying in the big ass trunk of that Crown Victoria!!!.     

Agreed on the toys keeping us young as well as the Crown Vic!  I miss driving my living room sofa to work every day!:)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 9thMarines said:

Pics of the Merc!

I'm going to another, better ENT who doesn't take my insurance today because I'm not satisfied with the amount of time he spent with me or with how well I was able to explain what I'm feeling (hearing?). I know I got a good hearing test but there is very noticable high frequency lost in the left ear and the ringing is still there. Also hearing myself talk makes it sound like a broken radio and its annoying. He seemed like he was in a rush and he didn't even recommend I stay away from loud noises for a while or anything.

I really don't believe that the dullness and ringing is just going to go away magically over a few weeks or months, in fact in seems it may have gotten a little worse since I left his office. He says he saw no ear drum damage but maybe there is damage to those small hair cells in the cochlea and perhaps that's something he can't see just by looking in my ear.

I'm not fishing for bad news, I want to be told I'm wrong here. If the other ENT tells me the same thing today, I guess I have no choice but to wait it out and see if it really does just go away