danw77

Last permit, anything I should buy before it's too late?

I've got one permit left to use and can't decide what to get. Here's what I have so far:

• Ruger P95 (9mm)
  • Ruger SR1911 (.45)
  • Sig P226 (9mm w/ 22 conversion)
  • Sig P320 (9mm)
  • Ruger SR22 (.22lr)
  • S&W Victory (.22lr)
  • Browning Buckmark (.22lr)
  • Ruger GP100 (.357)
  • Ruger LCPII (.380)

I'm thinking that the only "hole" I really need to fill in my collection is a 9mm CCW for out of state, or if by some miracle we can carry in NJ. My list of possibilities include the Sig P365, S&W M&P Shield M2.0, or Ruger LC9s Pro. But any of these should be easy enough to get with any of the proposed legislation.

I've also thought about getting a Glock 19, mostly just because I don't have one.

Given my list, what guns would you be looking at? Any significant gaps or holes you see? I mostly shoot at the range for fun, no competition or anything like that. I'd like to stay within my existing calibers for ammo simplicity unless there's a compelling reason for another caliber.

My town turns permits around in 2 weeks, so getting new permits isn't really an issue. I'd also like to consider any pistols that may be more difficult or costly to acquire should a 10 round mag limit be adopted, or any of the BS bills currently in the works.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, danw77 said:

I've got one permit left to use and can't decide what to get. Here's what I have so far:

• Ruger P95 (9mm)
  • Ruger SR1911 (.45)
  • Sig P226 (9mm w/ 22 conversion)
  • Sig P320 (9mm)
  • Ruger SR22 (.22lr)
  • S&W Victory (.22lr)
  • Browning Buckmark (.22lr)
  • Ruger GP100 (.357)
  • Ruger LCPII (.380)

I'm thinking that the only "hole" I really need to fill in my collection is a 9mm CCW for out of state, or if by some miracle we can carry in NJ. My list of possibilities include the Sig P365, S&W M&P Shield M2.0, or Ruger LC9s Pro.

I've also thought about getting a Glock 19, mostly just because I don't have one.

Given my list, what guns would you be looking at? Any significant gaps you see. I mostly shoot at the range for fun, no competition or anything like. I'd like to stay within my existing calibers unless there's a compelling reason for another caliber.

I'll add this... my town turns permits around in 2 weeks, so getting new permits isn't really an issue. I'd also like to consider any pistols that may be more difficult or costly to acquire should a 10 round mag limit be adopted, or any of the BS bills currently in the works.

P365 and tell me how you like it.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

Nice collection

Given your thoughts about carry I think the Glock 19 is a good choice.

You seem to be a Ruger fan so how about a Ruger LCR in .357/.38 Special for carry?

Haha, yeah I like Rugers. But I didn't realize how much until I typed out that list. It wasn't necessarily intentional, they just always seemed to have a gun that fit my need at the moment.

I thought about an LCR, but I'm not a fan of revolvers for carry. For those of you that have or do carry out of state, how much difference is there really between a double stack like the Glock and a single stack like the ones I listed?

CZ-P01...

Just sayin. Instead of the G19. 

Or a Browning High Power as they aren’t making them anymore. 

From your list, a GP100. I like the new Rugers that I have handled better than the new Smiths. I like a 3-4” Barrel for versatility. I want a Wiley Clapp someday but that day can wait. 

Good luck. 

• Like 1

Hey danw77, Im not sure of your stature but I'm 5'8" and weigh 175lbs i currently carry a glock 19 off duty comfortably in every season. I have to say that it is my go to for CCW. A few handguns that i carry are Glock 43, Sig p320, Sig P229. 9/10 times i grab my G19 before heading out the door. Its the perfect gun. Trust me. I have been eyeing the LCPII though. 

20 hours ago, Bully said:

CZ-P01...

Just sayin. Instead of the G19. 

Or a Browning High Power as they aren’t making them anymore. 

From your list, a GP100. I like the new Rugers that I have handled better than the new Smiths. I like a 3-4” Barrel for versatility. I want a Wiley Clapp someday but that day can wait. 

Good luck. 

Thanks. My wife had a Witness (CZ clone) for a while. I shot it a couple times and didn't love it. But people seem to really like the CZ-P01 so maybe I need to give that some more thought.

FYI - the list I posted is what I already have. I love my GP100.

9 hours ago, TheMan said:

Hey danw77, Im not sure of your stature but I'm 5'8" and weigh 175lbs i currently carry a glock 19 off duty comfortably in every season. I have to say that it is my go to for CCW. A few handguns that i carry are Glock 43, Sig p320, Sig P229. 9/10 times i grab my G19 before heading out the door. Its the perfect gun. Trust me. I have been eyeing the LCPII though. 

I'm 6'1" and 220. I know a lot of people carry the G19. Having never carried before, it just seems like it's too big to be comfortable. Maybe it's something I need to give more consideration. Thanks.

1 minute ago, SW9racer said:

Ruger LCP-2.  Easily fits in a front jeans pocket. It's not a range gun, it's a bring anywhere always have somethin pistol.  A Glock G43 is nice when you have a belt, but for times you don't want to bother, LCP-2 (even comes with a nice pocket holster)

See my list... I already have an LCPII.

4 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

NJ doesn't have a history of grandfathering firearms that they ban. Glock 19 or a Walther PPQ. 

Yup. After today's events, I ordered the Glock. It's the only one on my list that holds more than 10 rounds.