Advice, I feel like I'm getting shaked down for money

When you see him you gotta not be tense about it.  You gotta be calm mature and resonaible.   “Yeah I got a couple of old shoguns my dad gave me.  Man we used to have good times hunting back in the day.:..  did you know there’s this rule where if I move I’m supposed to let the town know?   I never even knew there was a rule but my new Neigbor mentioned it I saw all his fishing and hunting gear.  So anyway,  there was this question about seeing a doctor so of course I listed you why wouldn’t I?   So just fill that out I guess right?”

• Like 3

I'm doing my best to be, but I'm not taking too kindly to the fact that he attempted to shake me down for more money.

1 hour ago, JR88USMC said:

I'm doing my best to be, but I'm not taking too kindly to the fact that he attempted to shake me down for more money.

Forget all that and focus on the goal which is getting him to clear you. Play it any way you must.

Then find another doctor and forget about him.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JR88USMC said:

Brother your acting childish and your gonna jam urself up......  be smart play the game and move on

• Like 1

You are getting a lot of wrong advice by some.

1. Firstly ADHD is treated as a disease and is identified in the DSM-5

Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
314 .0X (F 9 0. X )
with its own diagnostic code
2. Your doctor is not trying to rip you off, but is justifiably concerned about liability and wants to make sure before certifying you as mentally fit to receive a new FID. The mental status of an individual can change over a short period of time.
3 You are absolutely doing the right thing by making full disclosure, as you disclosed it before in a prior application and there is a track record of psyc visits and scripts for meds.
4. Physicians do not like to and it may be a deviation from the standard of care to give too many refills for any psyc related meds even if your symptoms are minimal and you are esentially in remission.
5 No attorney is going to take your matter for any fee that will resemble the additional $375 additional it will cost you. You are just going to have to suck that up.
6. If you otherwise have a good working relationship with this psyc and he knows you, you would be doing a disservice to yourself to adopt the advise of those here who have told you to change doctors and spend the $375 on ammo.
7. Your psyc may want to express a factual basis for his conclusion that you are fit and back it up by focusing not only on your track record with him but a specific session where the issue was analyzed and addressed.

• Like 1

OP... This post (above) strikes me as VERY rational and well-informed. If I were you, I would go with this advice. 

It's really easy to get caught up in an anti-authoritarian resentment vibe (there's a lot of that on here, lol)... but it's not always the best approach. 

3 hours ago, SJG said:

314 .0X (F 9 0. X )
2. Your doctor is not trying to rip you off, but is justifiably concerned about liability and wants to make sure before certifying you as mentally fit to receive a new FID. The mental status of an individual can change over a short period of time.
3 You are absolutely doing the right thing by making full disclosure, as you disclosed it before in a prior application and there is a track record of psyc visits and scripts for meds.
4. Physicians do not like to and it may be a deviation from the standard of care to give too many refills for any psyc related meds even if your symptoms are minimal and you are esentially in remission.
5 No attorney is going to take your matter for any fee that will resemble the additional $375 additional it will cost you. You are just going to have to suck that up.
6. If you otherwise have a good working relationship with this psyc and he knows you, you would be doing a disservice to yourself to adopt the advise of those here who have told you to change doctors and spend the $375 on ammo.
7. Your psyc may want to express a factual basis for his conclusion that you are fit and back it up by focusing not only on your track record with him but a specific session where the issue was analyzed and addressed.

^^^^THIS^^^^

To the OP:

Do yourself a YUGE favor & get that chip off your shoulders!  You "unzipped your fly" with FULL DISCLOSURE so now this is "THE PRICE YOU PAY"...suck it up, be friendly to the Doc and keep an honest relationship.  With the Murphy Regime in town, only God knows what other roadblocks may be thrown in your way down-the-road.  Better to maintain an ally than create a problem where none exists, as what happens IF we get CCW in NJ and you wanna carry?  Wouldn't it be nice to have a friendly, professional relationship with this Doc that's going to say you're "fit" to get a new yellow card?  He might be needed down the road for a CCW application, RIGHT?

Edited by Smokin .50
Meant to direct my comment to OP!

4 hours ago, SJG said:

314 .0X (F 9 0. X )

You're right, but my basis for feeling like he is trying to rip me off is that he has had this form in his possession for 5 weeks, I saw him 3 weeks ago and he didn't mention anything of it. When I called my police department last week to see the status of my new FID and they said they were waiting to hear back from him, I wasn't aware they sent him a form to fill out, otherwise I would have mentioned it when I saw him 3 weeks ago as well. Last time I applied this was not an issue, idk if my old town bothered to mail anything out to my doctor at the time, I never heard anything from my doctor on that issue, so this is all news to me. After I spoke to my police I called my doctors office, they told me that he did receive it 5 weeks ago and he wanted to wait until he saw me 3 weeks ago to fill it out. He didn't mention anything of it to me so I was unaware of this whole ordeal.

It's more so the fact that I already paid him $375 for a visit and he's trying to hit me with another $375 to come in and fill out that form and his office trying to justify this as a la carte where my previous visit was just for medication management, not any other treatment. If I abided to this, I would have paid $375 3 weeks ago for medication management, another $375 this week to see him to fill out the form, and another $375 in 2 weeks for another medication management session (by law they can only prescribe 30 day medication supplies every 28 days). He came to a compromise that the next time I see him in 2 weeks he'll fill it out, which is a pain in the ass, but it is what it is.

Fee For Service (FFS) healthcare baby.  Do you think every time a doctor says they want to see you again in X# weeks it’s not for their benefit as much as it is yours?

Healthcare is a volume-based business.  Don’t take it personal as if it was a “shake down”.  It’s just the way the system works.  

Plus, let’s be honest.  It’s his reputation on the line too.  Does he really *know* *know* you?  What if you go out and do something stupid and it leads back to him and that form.  He’ll be crucified.  What’s in it for him then?

It is what it is, I suppose i’ll wait an extra few weeks until I see him. I have all the guns I want, gives me more time to think about what i’ll buy with my next handgun permit [emoji846]

As someone who also answered yes to that question, I suggest that you read and re-read the post from @SJG. Then read it again. I understand your frustration, but I have a question---and I promise that I'm not trying to be snarky, it's an honest question. When you saw your psych a couple of weeks ago why didn't you bring up the application? It's possible that the paperwork was at his/her office, but no one put it in your file or gave it to the doctor. Your question could have triggered the form being found and completed. I understand that you didn't know that there was an issue at that point, but you could have asked in order to ensure that the form was completed and returned.

When I completed my initial FID application I spoke about it with my psych. He's not necessarily pro-2A, but he respected my position and feelings, and gave my PD a written statement. No muss, no fuss---we had an honest back and forth discussion, and he's definitely on my side.

Finally, we sign-away our HIPPA rights with the Mental Health Consent form so don't use that as a defensive issue. As of now, by law in NJ, either you complete that form and HIPPA no longer applies or you don't apply for an FID or P2P. Not saying that I like it, but that's the law.

Please don't look at this as a personal issue or a "shake-down." It's not. It's your psych doing his due diligence under NJ state law mixed with CYA of his profession and livelihood.

Take the time until your next appointment to shake this off and calm down. As @Smokin .50 suggested, you'll be best served trying to make this doctor your ally.

1 hour ago, Gunsrlegal said:

As someone who also answered yes to that question, I suggest that you read and re-read the post from @SJG. Then read it again. I understand your frustration, but I have a question---and I promise that I'm not trying to be snarky, it's an honest question. When you saw your psych a couple of weeks ago why didn't you bring up the application? It's possible that the paperwork was at his/her office, but no one put it in your file or gave it to the doctor. Your question could have triggered the form being found and completed. I understand that you didn't know that there was an issue at that point, but you could have asked in order to ensure that the form was completed and returned.

When I completed my initial FID application I spoke about it with my psych. He's not necessarily pro-2A, but he respected my position and feelings, and gave my PD a written statement. No muss, no fuss---we had an honest back and forth discussion, and he's definitely on my side.

Finally, we sign-away our HIPPA rights with the Mental Health Consent form so don't use that as a defensive issue. As of now, by law in NJ, either you complete that form and HIPPA no longer applies or you don't apply for an FID or P2P. Not saying that I like it, but that's the law.

Please don't look at this as a personal issue or a "shake-down." It's not. It's your psych doing his due diligence under NJ state law mixed with CYA of his profession and livelihood.

Take the time until your next appointment to shake this off and calm down. As @Smokin .50 suggested, you'll be best served trying to make this doctor your ally.

I had no clue they sent him this form in the first place, that's why. When I applied the first time in 2015, I disclosed this information as well and this wasn't an issue. From start to finish I had my FID in 5 weeks. I'm not sure if the town I was living in bothered to mail my doctor at the time a form, or if my doctor filled it out for me without saying a thing. I really don't know to be honest. My current town mailing something out to him was news to me as of last week. 

3 minutes ago, JR88USMC said:

I had no clue they sent him this form in the first place, that's why. When I applied the first time in 2015, I disclosed this information as well and this wasn't an issue. From start to finish I had my FID in 5 weeks. I'm not sure if the town I was living in bothered to mail my doctor at the time a form, or if my doctor filled it out for me without saying a thing. I really don't know to be honest. My current town mailing something out to him was news to me as of last week. 

Fair enough, but now you know for the future. I'm sorry that you weren't informed about the possibility.

However, I still stand behind the rest of my statement. Have an honest talk with your psych and take the time to educate him about you as a gun owner. You may be surprised at the positive long-term benefit of this effort. I truly hope that it all works out for you. Good luck...and take deep breaths. :D

• Like 1

On 2/14/2018 at 5:59 AM, BobA said:

Pay the 375.00. Do the dance with your hand in your pants.  Stop answering that question and rely on the HIPAA laws next time.  No one can find out anything from any Doctor if you don't give permission. 

HIPPA laws in NJ are a Joke (I know it's federal). Off topic some but any nurse or employee in any hospital can access  your records. Don't count on this. I  know first hand!

On 2/14/2018 at 10:36 PM, JR88USMC said:

Have some perspective on this and attempt a bit of empathy for someone doing their job. You may disagree but look at it this way:

Shrinks have a lot of patients with problems. Many, many of them would tie them up 48 hours a day pestering them with their personal bullshit if the shrink didn't set boundaries. One of the easier ways for them to do that is to put a price tag on their time. ALL of their time. The guy isn't insisting you pay him for a signature (yet). He is insisting you pay him for time spent on this outside of your regular appointments, or wait for your next appointment and include it in that time. The latter is a net zero cost if you don't want to pay the gotta have it now tax. 

NJ being what it is, you may literally be their first time dealing with any of this. Alternatively, they may feel that what they have been observing and assessing you for on your meds is not sufficiently thorough. If you are on some flavor of methylphenidate, it can have side affects of increased aggression or paranoia. If you were not obviously displaying such, they may want to ask more specific questions rather than just monitoring you for dosage effect and if you are blowing your liver out or have any cardiovascular related risks that are increasing. 

On 2/14/2018 at 9:28 AM, JR88USMC said:

or I'll just buy a shitload of ammo on impulse just because :lol: 

because I already did that, signed up for a cabela's club card and bought 10k rounds of federal premium 5.56 for .15/round with their club discount :lol:

If you want to sell a bit of that....here I am.  :)

Just an update, saw my doctor last week, he was totally cool with everything. We talked for a good 45 minutes, i told him about my military experience with weapons and how I take weapons safety and handling very serious. Showed him my Old FID to show i’ve been a responsible owner for years. I actually carry a handgun at work per our company policy, and told him about that as well. He was really cool about it all. We talked about the miscommunication and how I ultimately know it’s my responsibility to get this done, i just wasn’t aware they contacted him.

Next day i got a call from Bedminster PD that they received everything they needed and my FID would be ready the following business day, which I now have.

What was frustrating was the lack of transparency from the BPD, in 2015 when I lived in Morristown things went smooth but since I wasn’t seeing a psychiatrist for ADHD, it wasn’t necessary for them to reach out to my PCP.

What’s done is done, I now know what to do going forward.

make sure to keep copies of your doctors exam and letter to the police,  as you will now have to answer that question the same for each permit you apply for, not a big deal.     just submit it with each request in the future especially if you move to a new town.

A friend of mine who was in the same boat as you had an entire eval done and for his FID/pp.$$$$.     his situation, due to his employment did not want to take any chances with something bad happening as he probably would have been in tight spot had something shown up .   pension benifits and all that and only 2 years to go.   not worth the chance.    his only addiction is not being able to stop hoarding guns, ammo and such.

he said the peace of mind was worth it as any problems would have been overruled by a judge if it even went that far.   oh and by the way 375. is pocket change compared to a full eval.

I never got a letter copy from my doctor, he just submitted something to the police. I did tell him to put on there if he wanted to that they don't need to contact him in the future, but honestly I don't think I'll be applying for additional handgun permits. I only did it this time because I was already applying for a change of address, beyond my doctor both times I've done an FID application it was annoying to have to constantly get on my friends who i used for references to make sure they fill the form out and mail it back, I don't want to be constantly doing that. Along with $2 for the application and $20 for the background check EVERY single time, it's too much honestly. seriously unconstitutional in this state how we have to pay for a NICS check twice and go through these hoops every single time we want to buy a handgun. This is why in the 3 years I've been an FID holder, all I've bought were shotguns and rifles.

I never got a letter copy from my doctor, he just submitted something to the police. I did tell him to put on there if he wanted to that they don't need to contact him in the future, but honestly I don't think I'll be applying for additional handgun permits. I only did it this time because I was already applying for a change of address, beyond my doctor both times I've done an FID application it was annoying to have to constantly get on my friends who i used for references to make sure they fill the form out and mail it back, I don't want to be constantly doing that. Along with $2 for the application and $20 for the background check EVERY single time, it's too much honestly. seriously unconstitutional in this state how we have to pay for a NICS check twice and go through these hoops every single time we want to buy a handgun. This is why in the 3 years I've been an FID holder, all I've bought were shotguns and rifles.
And the NJ handgun permit system is successful. Make it so painful for the law abiding that they won't bother. :(

in a way I'm happy, because if I could buy a handgun anytime I'd want, I'd own way too many of them