JoeTK37

First .357 Revolver Choices

Ok, ready use my next permit and pick up my first revolver. 

Im torn between a 686/+ or a 627. It’s going to be a range toy. I’m leaning towards a 4-5” barrel. These are the models I’ve narrowed it down to. I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts

And of course I can’t figure out how to load the pics from my phone because the files are too big. 

So here are the SMith and Wesson part numbers

178014  627 4” Pro 

11760 686+ Performance Center 5”

Go for the 627, or the 6-shot 686. IMO, the 7-shot is the red-headed step- child of the S&W line-up. That comes from the perspective of someone that competes (not well) with a revolver.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

Go for the 627, or the 6-shot 686. IMO, the 7-shot is the red-headed step- child of the S&W line-up. That comes from the perspective of someone that competes (not well) with a revolver.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Agreed on the 586/686 6-shot.  4" barrel too - 6" looks kinda unwieldy on it.

26 minutes ago, SW9racer said:

Range toy that may be used for sporting game, or range toy for bullseye?  The Ruger Blackhawk is nice, single action only though, but you can get a 357/38/9mm model with a ~4.5" barrel

Range just for paper. I've got other options for HD.  The only other use i could see would be a slim(but possible?) Problem bear on the property. 

Thoughts? 

6 shooter in 4 inch being most useful...speedloaders....holsters...if you get into shooting REV in IDPA....

In S&W I like the 686, I have a 586 in 6 inch..38/357nice, but it sits in the safe while I shoot other 4 inch models 

Might also want to take a long look at a Ruger GP100.

Just my thoughts, you need to do what works for you...

My 0.02 on revolvers:

Love my Colts; triggers are great.  Would love a Python, but WAY too pricey.  Actually, just about all of 'em are too pricey these days!  

Love my Smith & Wessons.  There's a reason they made a gazillion of em.  Triggers not quite as good as the Colts; its really a Ford vs Chevy thing. 

Love my Dan Wesson.  Accuracy with the 8 inch barrel is unbelievable; trigger almost as good as the Colts.

Like my Taurus.  Only have one - reasonably accurate, double action trigger has too much overtravel for my taste - single action is crisp.  From what I've seen, good ones are a lot like S&Ws.

Had a Charter Arms once....won't have another

EDIT - forgot to mention Rugers.  I've looked at em, shot a couple, but I've never owned one of their revolvers.  Overall, double action triggers not as good as the S&Ws.  Was sorely tempted by a pair of polished stainless Vaqueros a few years ago, but that remains an unrequited love

I have the 686+  and it's my favorite handgun. I have it with the 6-inch barrel and would not go any shorter for range toy. The trigger is fantastic and you can smooth it out yourself, it's ridiculously accurate and just an all-around fun gun to shoot.

also, also, I would not look at performance center as they are overpriced for what you get.

40 minutes ago, JoeTK37 said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on a standard production gun(Smith and Wesson) vs. a Pro Series or Performance Center?

I have a 686+ 3" and after a few hundred rounds the trigger smoothed out really well.  I'd buy it over a PC any day.

10 minutes ago, sota said:

I've never shot a PC tuned gun, but I can concur that the triggers on my 686 6" and 617 4" are damn smooth, and they're only at 440 and 665 rounds respectively.

I havent checked my 617 but sounds about right.

I wouldn't let whether a gun came from the PC or not be a factor in your decision. Buy the gun you like because of looks, ergonomics balance or a myriad of other features. I generally consider PC revolvers as good starting points. I've had regular production guns that eclipse PC guns as far as trigger pull. Buy the gun you like regardless of its origin. 

My recommendations stand: six-shot 686 or eight-shot 627 in 4" (686) or 5" (627) barrel lengths.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

The only reason to buy a PC gun is if that what you want only comes from there. Example, barrel length, gun config, model , etc

Buying a PC gun with the illusion that it will have a magically better trigger over a Pro Series gun will leave you very disappointed. 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2018 at 7:35 PM, Pizza Bob said:

I wouldn't let whether a gun came from the PC or not be a factor in your decision. Buy the gun you like because of looks, ergonomics balance or a myriad of other features. I generally consider PC revolvers as good starting points. I've had regular production guns that eclipse PC guns as far as trigger pull. Buy the gun you like regardless of its origin. 

My recommendations stand: six-shot 686 or eight-shot 627 in 4" (686) or 5" (627) barrel lengths.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Bob is the wheelgun boss. Do what he says.

My wife got her first-ever gun today. SP101 4 inch 357. Fits her hand and felt comfortable to balance. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, weekend_junkie said:

My wife got her first-ever gun today. SP101 4 inch 357. Fits her hand and felt comfortable to balance. 

I took Bob's advice..... I just kinda followed my heart and went with what I had initially been drawn to. 4" SSR, has the looks I want, true 6 -shooter, competition legal if I ever go down that path. Pics and follow up when it comes in

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JoeTK37 said:

I took Bob's advice..... I just kinda followed my heart and went with what I had initially been drawn to. 4" SSR, has the looks I want, true 6 -shooter, competition legal if I ever go down that path. Pics and follow up when it comes in

Terrific choice!

21 hours ago, weekend_junkie said:

Get a Wilson Combat SP101 Trigger Spring Kit and a tube of FLITZ and q-tips and have at it.  She'll kiss you in the moonlight!

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004158679/wilson-combat-custom-tune-spring-kit-ruger-sp101

• Like 1