AVB-AMG

Deer hunters help combat food insecurity in Iowa

In case you missed this segment on last night’s PBS NewsHour (Feb. 13, 2018), check out this story about the HUSH program that originally aired on Iowa Public Television and was broadcast nationwide last night.

This program in the state of Iowa is a win-win situation where deer hunters in Iowa are working with the Food Bank of Iowa to help feed those in need, in addition to addressing the overpopulation of deer in that state. Dubbed Help Us Stop Hunger (HUSH), Iowa’s Department of Natural Resources has leveraged Iowa’s popular deer hunting industry into more than 10 million meals for the needy. Special correspondent Josh Buettner of Iowa Public Television reports.  Here are some exerts from that segment, along with a link to the PBS video.

AVB-AMG

Iowa farmer Mike Nelson implements conservation practice on his corn and soybean farm in Central Iowa’s Warren County. He has a nuisance problem with deer who can devastate his crop.  As it turns out, Iowa has some very large-bodied deer.

Iowa Department of Natural Resources spokesman Mick Klemesrud says nearly 15 years ago the DNR hatched a plan to cut back on a deer population that had become a hazard in urban areas and allow hunters to donate excess harvest to those in need.  All a hunter needs to do is legally harvest a whitetail deer, properly tag it, field dress it, bring it in. It’s really two minutes and the paperwork’s filled out, little index card, and he’s finished. The DNR estimates Iowa’s current deer population at roughly 500,000. In 2016, about 2,800 deer were hunted and donated, with the largest number coming from Milo, Iowa, which translates to just shy of 18,000 pounds of deer venison meat.  Processors receive $75 from the state for each animal. The meat is shredded and packaged in 2 lb chubs, and given to food banks for distribution.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/deer-hunters-help-combat-food-insecurity-in-iowa

• Like 1

Yeah, these programs are great, aren't they? I first learned about them about a year ago at a TWAW (The Well-Armed Woman) chapter meeting. They had a speaker come in from Hunters Helping the Hungry - that NJ's equivalent of the program profiled on PBS. They contributed almost 20,000 pounds of venison to NJ's food banks this past year.

Here's a link: http://www.huntershelpingthehungry.org/

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AVB-AMG said:

Mrs. Peel:

Good to hear that NJ has a similar program that makes so much practical sense....
Since I am not a hunter, I was not aware until last night that these programs existed.
Thanks for the link.

AVB-AMG

Yeah, I agree! This is yet another example of "gun folks" not being terribly good at "getting the word out". In the presentation, I learned that venison is actually a great, sustainable form of lean protein to supplement our food banks. It would be nice if more people knew about this program! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Yeah, I agree! This is yet another example of "gun folks" not being terribly good at "getting the word out". In the presentation, I learned that venison is actually a great, sustainable form of lean protein to supplement our food banks. It would be nice if more people knew about this program! 

Idk if you can blame gun folks for getting the word out... media is the word dude

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AVB-AMG said:

In case you missed this segment on last night’s PBS NewsHour (Feb. 13, 2018), check out this story about the HUSH program that originally aired on Iowa Public Television and was broadcast nationwide last night.

This program in the state of Iowa is a win-win situation where deer hunters in Iowa are working with the Food Bank of Iowa to help feed those in need, in addition to addressing the overpopulation of deer in that state. Dubbed Help Us Stop Hunger (HUSH), Iowa’s Department of Natural Resources has leveraged Iowa’s popular deer hunting industry into more than 10 million meals for the needy. Special correspondent Josh Buettner of Iowa Public Television reports.  Here are some exerts from that segment, along with a link to the PBS video.

AVB-AMG

Iowa farmer Mike Nelson implements conservation practice on his corn and soybean farm in Central Iowa’s Warren County. He has a nuisance problem with deer who can devastate his crop.  As it turns out, Iowa has some very large-bodied deer.

Iowa Department of Natural Resources spokesman Mick Klemesrud says nearly 15 years ago the DNR hatched a plan to cut back on a deer population that had become a hazard in urban areas and allow hunters to donate excess harvest to those in need.  All a hunter needs to do is legally harvest a whitetail deer, properly tag it, field dress it, bring it in. It’s really two minutes and the paperwork’s filled out, little index card, and he’s finished. The DNR estimates Iowa’s current deer population at roughly 500,000. In 2016, about 2,800 deer were hunted and donated, with the largest number coming from Milo, Iowa, which translates to just shy of 18,000 pounds of deer venison meat.  Processors receive $75 from the state for each animal. The meat is shredded and packaged in 2 lb chubs, and given to food banks for distribution.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/deer-hunters-help-combat-food-insecurity-in-iowa

My son used to live in Pella, Iowa a few years ago.  I made friends there with a co-worker of his at Vermeer Corp. in Pella.  This deer hunting for the needy was in effect when I was there visiting.  It's a win-win all around, and car insurance companies even pay to advertise it as it reduces claims!  The butcher we use for the CNJFO Hog Hunt also participates in the NJ version of this program.  We're proud to partner with V. Roche & Son of Whitehouse Station, NJ!  Chick Roche has been a participant since the program started!  Thanks for posting this!

Rosey