Regular Guy

80% receiver blanks gaining more public scrutiny

Not sure how many out there have done a build starting from an 80% receiver blank, but I'm starting to think those days won't be so bright and sunny for much longer. Saw this CBS News article, I think its from yesterday.  I know California recently mandated that when you complete an 80% lower receiver, you contact the State Government and pay them to issue you a serial number to stamp onto it.  I saw one site that sells "California Compliant" 80% receiver blanks that already have a serial number stamped on it.  Probably won't take the Peoples Republic of New Jersey to completely criminalize the holy dog shit out this now.    

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/law-enforcement-struggling-to-combat-unregulated-diy-ghost-guns/

The PRNJ has long ago addressed this subject. It is illegal to construct a gun here without a manufacturing license.

You can own the lowers as they are not yet guns. You can own one that is completed as long as you completed it out of state!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, mintbore said:

Probably not a popular opinion, but face it...completing an 80% and not registering is a direct violation of the law...period.

8 minutes ago, GunsnFreedom said:

Unless you have a license to manufacture guns in NJ, you cannot complete an 80% lower.

In this state of New Jersey, that American citizens reside in. Due to state laws here.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

Please quote this 'law' you refer to.

I think it's all in YOUR head.

If I'm correct: By completing an 80% receiver, you are considered a manufacturer. And under NFA, manufacturers must register and number operational receivers.....and how about YOU chill and have a civil discussion about it.

If you are 'engaged in the business' you'd better have the appropriate Federal Firearms License(s) or you're gonna be Bubba's babe for a long long time in a Federal lockup.

For personal use, an FFL is not required. Neither is serializing under Federal law.

Now go back to your original contention and back it up with a reference to the specific statute(s) to which you refer. Thanks.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mintbore said:

If I'm correct: By completing an 80% receiver, you are considered a manufacturer. And under NFA, manufacturers must register and number operational receivers.....and how about YOU chill and have a civil discussion about it.

Not fo sale...

It is legal under federal law. It is my opinion that it is illegal in NJ because the statute does not delineate between a citizen and a business. If I recall correctly it actually says "any person". I am unaware of any cases to reference but the language of the statute is pretty plain and clear.

I'm very familiar with the federal laws, which allow the completion of an 80% lower receiver for personal use without any manufacturing licenses or application of a serial number and said firearm not be completed with the intent to sell.

Does anyone have a reference to the NJ state law? (actual title, chapter, section, subsection, paragraph number) I am from NJ, but I joined the military when I was 18 and spent my adult life at bases in the mid-west where the state firearms laws were no more restrictive than the federal laws.  I recently moved back to NJ and I see the firearms rules here are "different."  I appreciate all the knowledge you guys have, let's continue to share it respectfully.

As requested @Regular Guy

2C:39-9 Manufacture, transport, disposition and defacement of weapons and dangerous instruments and appliances. 

2C:39-9. Manufacture, Transport, Disposition and Defacement of Weapons and Dangerous Instruments and Appliances. a. Machine guns. Any person who manufactures, causes to be manufactured, transports, ships, sells or disposes of any machine gun without being registered or licensed to do so as provided in chapter 58 is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

b.Sawed-off shotguns. Any person who manufactures, causes to be manufactured, transports, ships, sells or disposes of any sawed-off shotgun is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

c.Firearm silencers. Any person who manufactures, causes to be manufactured, transports, ships, sells or disposes of any firearm silencer is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

d.Weapons. Any person who manufactures, causes to be manufactured, transports, ships, sells or disposes of any weapon, including gravity knives, switchblade knives, ballistic knives, daggers, dirks, stilettos, billies, blackjacks, metal knuckles, sandclubs, slingshots, cesti or similar leather bands studded with metal filings, or, except as otherwise provided in subsection i. of this section, in the case of firearms if he is not licensed or registered to do so as provided in chapter 58, is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree. Any person who manufactures, causes to be manufactured, transports, ships, sells or disposes of any weapon or other device which projects, releases or emits tear gas or other substances intended to produce temporary physical discomfort or permanent injury through being vaporized or otherwise dispensed in the air, which is intended to be used for any purpose other than for authorized military or law enforcement purposes by duly authorized military or law enforcement personnel or the device is for the purpose of personal self-defense, is pocket-sized and contains not more than three-quarters of an ounce of chemical substance not ordinarily capable of lethal use or of inflicting serious bodily injury, or other than to be used by any person permitted to possess such weapon or device under the provisions of subsection d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5, which is intended for use by financial and other business institutions as part of an integrated security system, placed at fixed locations, for the protection of money and property, by the duly authorized personnel of those institutions, is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

• Like 1