gfl216

Magazine limits

To answer the original poster's question, I recommend just getting new ones designed to hold no more than 10, rather than butchering your existing ones. 

The new Mec Gar ones I bought are designed to limit to 10 rounds but still disassemble as per usual so they can be cleaned.  Whoever designed them really did a good job.  There is no way more than 10 can go in, there's no way it can be modified to fit more, and it can be fully disassembled for cleaning.

It is bad enough the limit will be further restricted to 10, but in my opinion worse yet if you have to look at the botch job you did to make your magazines legal every time afterward.  I sure don't want to be reminded of Trenton by having to look at crappy rivets and epoxy on my magazines every time I go to the range.  Considering how much ammunition costs, just get new ones that work properly and look sharp.

On 2/16/2018 at 0:08 PM, Ray Ray said:

Don't go to Government ranges.

technically at R14 you are on federal property so you can use 30 round mags, but the problem is that you were transporting them in the state of NJ. That is probably why R14 is the way it is because people think they can be slick.

31 minutes ago, JR88USMC said:

technically at R14 you are on federal property so you can use 30 round mags, but the problem is that you were transporting them in the state of NJ. That is probably why R14 is the way it is because people think they can be slick.

That is incorrect.  It is on Federal land BUT you must follow the state laws in which the land is in.

• Like 2

I personally will never go to R14, last time I was at Fort Dix was in 2013 when I was in the USMC reserves, in 2014 our unit conducted range qualifications, I wasn't there for it but my platoon's gunny (staff sergeant at the time) was the pit safety officer and a bullet went through a berm and hit him in the shoulder. Took about 18 months for him to recover, he had nerve damage in his arm and to this day he still doesn't have entire use of his hand. After that we never went to Fort Dix for any range training and went down to Quantico instead where there was much safer facilities. Never will go to Fort Dix personally for that reason.

4 minutes ago, JR88USMC said:

no it's not lol. R14 posts rules as such because it's considered a public range. but technically speaking it is not illegal to possess a 30 round magazine on federal property. They sell Magpul 30 round P-Mags at both PX's on Fort Dix.

Incorrect.  

Yes, Federal Laws are the law BUT state laws apply.  

yes, on range 14 they do. However if you are in possession of 30 round mags and on that base, it is not illegal. There are many active military personnel that live on and around that base that have possession of 30 round mags they bought for themselves. They sell them in the military equipment sections of the PX, you buy them with your own money and use them for military purposes, therefore you are in possession of 30 round magazines legally. This is one thing I know for certain about that you don't so please don't tell me I'm wrong. I was stationed in California at Camp Pendleton, they sell 30 round mags at the PX for the exact same reason I mentioned, I didn't live on base. I owned 30 round P-Mags while living there which I used for Military Purposes. 30 round mags are illegal in california. Just because you are in the Military does not make you above the law by any means so don't even go that route with me.

3 hours ago, JR88USMC said:

yes, on range 14 they do. However if you are in possession of 30 round mags and on that base, it is not illegal. There are many active military personnel that live on and around that base that have possession of 30 round mags they bought for themselves. They sell them in the military equipment sections of the PX, you buy them with your own money and use them for military purposes, therefore you are in possession of 30 round magazines legally. This is one thing I know for certain about that you don't so please don't tell me I'm wrong. I was stationed in California at Camp Pendleton, they sell 30 round mags at the PX for the exact same reason I mentioned, I didn't live on base. I owned 30 round P-Mags while living there which I used for Military Purposes. 30 round mags are illegal in california. Just because you are in the Military does not make you above the law by any means so don't even go that route with me.

You are 100% correct!  Just don't leave the Base with your 30 round mags & go too far in your personal vehicle.  Military convoys have standard capacity mags all the time, lol :) .  Members of the Armed Forces can train on their own using equipment given / sold to them, and often do so throughout the wooded areas of Burlington Co.  You & I are on the same page!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

You are 100% correct!  Just don't leave the Base with your 30 round mags & go too far in your personal vehicle.  Military convoys have standard capacity mags all the time, lol :) .  Members of the Armed Forces can train on their own using equipment given / sold to them, and often do so throughout the wooded areas of Burlington Co.  You & I are on the same page!

Do you think I could apply to the Federal Government as an immigrant fleeing persecution and they’ll let me pop up a tent on Base?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Smokin .50 said:

Sorry, he is incorrect.   They are legal for military on military ranges.  That is true.  Illegal everywhere else.

Sorry, he is incorrect.   They are legal for military on military ranges.  That is true.  Illegal everywhere else.

No, I’m not [emoji23][emoji23] there is no stamp on the magazines they sell at Fort Dix saying “FOR MILITARY USE ONLY” you’re not above the law because you’re in the military. When I was stationed at Camp Pendleton, we could own our own guns, they weren’t stripping that right from us. They did however need to be stored at the Armory and be checked out as we wanted to use them. We could use 30 round mags and non california compliant stuff for personal use, but it had to be done on base at a MWR facility. We had public ranges at both Camp Pendleton & MCAS Miramar, and we could use all non-CA compliant weapons and accessories on those ranges. Same thing when I was stationed at Quantico. 30 round mags are not legal in Prince William, Fairfax, Alexandria and Loudoun Counties, but you could buy them on base, and use them at the Quantico Shooting Club range, which is also a range and club open to non military personnel. Please stop telling me I’m wrong on something I’m well informed about and you aren’t [emoji23][emoji23]

They get you at Fort Dix R14 because you inevitably drive there from non federal land, and know so because they have your information.

1 hour ago, JR88USMC said:

Please stop telling me I’m wrong on something I’m well informed about and you aren’t emoji23.pngemoji23.png

They get you at Fort Dix R14 because you inevitably drive there from non federal land, and know so because they have your information.

I too, am prior service.  I too, am well informed on this issue.  Thank you

1 hour ago, JR88USMC said:

No, I’m not emoji23.pngemoji23.png there is no stamp on the magazines they sell at Fort Dix saying “FOR MILITARY USE ONLY” you’re not above the law because you’re in the military. When I was stationed at Camp Pendleton, we could own our own guns, they weren’t stripping that right from us. They did however need to be stored at the Armory and be checked out as we wanted to use them. We could use 30 round mags and non california compliant stuff for personal use, but it had to be done on base at a MWR facility. We had public ranges at both Camp Pendleton & MCAS Miramar, and we could use all non-CA compliant weapons and accessories on those ranges. Same thing when I was stationed at Quantico. 30 round mags are not legal in Prince William, Fairfax, Alexandria and Loudoun Counties, but you could buy them on base, and use them at the Quantico Shooting Club range, which is also a range and club open to non military personnel. Please stop telling me I’m wrong on something I’m well informed about and you aren’t emoji23.pngemoji23.png

I don't know about CA, which I am guessing they are similar, but the Armed Forces have exemptions in the state law to possess "machine guns, assault rifles..." and "large capacity magazines."

I'm not sure about the legality of using the stuff on federal land for civilians (since federal law supersedes state law) but there are exemptions for purchasing and owning non-NJ compliant stuff if you are in the service.

13:54-5.1 Purchase or sale of assault firearms and machine guns (a) No person shall sell, give, transfer, assign or otherwise dispose of, nor receive, purchase or otherwise acquire a machine gun or an assault firearm unless the purchaser, assignee, donee, receiver or holder:

1. Is licensed as a retail or wholesale dealer pursuant to this chapter;

2. Has first secured a license to purchase, possess or carry a machine gun or an assault firearm in accordance with N.J.S.A. 2C:58-5; or

3. Is the Armed Forces, the National Guard or a law enforcement agency employing persons who are authorized to possess and carry assault firearms and/or machine guns.

13:54-5.5 Large capacity magazines A retail or wholesale firearms dealer licensed pursuant to this chapter may maintain large capacity ammunition magazines at its licensed premises for sale or disposition to another dealer, the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard, or to a law enforcement agency, provided that the seller maintains a record of any sale or disposition to any of the afore-mentioned entities, including a description by make and model of the large capacity magazine. The record shall include the name of the purchasing agency, together with written authorization on the official letterhead of the Superintendent, chief of police or highest ranking officer of the agency or the appropriate ranking military officer, the name and rank of the law enforcement or military officer authorized to make the purchase, and the date and time of the sale or disposition. A copy of this record shall be forwarded by the seller to the Superintendent within 48 hours of the sale or disposition

^^^These "carve-outs" are more respected closer to base, as I indicated previously.  Off-duty personnel wearing civvies transporting un-neutered guns & standard capacity mags thru an unfriendly area of the PRNJ do risk getting detained and/or "jacked-up" for same.  "Plinking" (while dressed in civvies) with friends off base but in the woods near base, everybody tends to look the other way.  There's what the LAW SAYS & then there's REALITY....  Uniformed armed forces personnel can have machine guns, SAW's, M-2's, rocket launchers, you name it, and if authorized can do so in their privately owned vehicles.  A Drill Sgt. can take equipment home to clean & repair for instance.

"Lighten-up Francis" moment comes to mind here guys.  We needn't be arguing with each other, as there's enough HATE out there already!

I too, am prior service.  I too, am well informed on this issue.  Thank you

If you have Veteran on your DL, a VA healthcare card or a Veteran’s ID, you’re good to go. Depending on how long ago you got out you can easily say you bought them while you were in the service. Now if you’ve been out for 20+ years and you have brand new 30 round PMags, that’s probably not believable. You can however shop at the PX as a veteran.

19 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

^^^These "carve-outs" are more respected closer to base, as I indicated previously.  Off-duty personnel wearing civvies transporting un-neutered guns & standard capacity mags thru an unfriendly area of the PRNJ do risk getting detained and/or "jacked-up" for same.  "Plinking" (while dressed in civvies) with friends off base but in the woods near base, everybody tends to look the other way.  There's what the LAW SAYS & then there's REALITY....  Uniformed armed forces personnel can have machine guns, SAW's, M-2's, rocket launchers, you name it, and if authorized can do so in their privately owned vehicles.  A Drill Sgt. can take equipment home to clean & repair for instance.

"Lighten-up Francis" moment comes to mind here guys.  We needn't be arguing with each other, as there's enough HATE out there already!

It wasn't meant to be in-fighting.  I just knew there were exceptions for current military personnel.  That's all.  

And the law isn't clear (to me) about owning and using while not in active service.  If someone knows for sure, I would love to know the law.

The laws apply the same just as they would for an off duty cop. Technically if an off duty cop has an AR for personal recreation, they need to be compliant too, but how many cops are going to screw over a fellow cop? Same thing with veterans. If you aren’t being an asshole, you’re going to be let off. Most cops are veterans too, so don’t be a dick or do something really stupid.

I’ll give another example, not exactly an apples to apples comparison, but on my car I have tints all around, including my windshield. I have a note from my doctor and the proper DMV registration card for it. Additionally I don’t run a front plate on my car. There is no place to attach one and i’m not drilling in to my bumper to put one on. I get pulled over for either one or the other often, or one leads to the other. I show them my tint card and they say good, then they bust my chops for no front plate, they let me off the hook because i’m respectful.

8 minutes ago, GunsnFreedom said:

It wasn't meant to be in-fighting.  I just knew there were exceptions for current military personnel.  That's all.  

And the law isn't clear (to me) about owning and using while not in active service.  If someone knows for sure, I would love to know the law.

I'm totally OK with your approach, so don't worry.  I singled no one out for "infighting", I just merely gave my educated opinion based upon decades of on & off experience shooting in the woods with guys from base.

The law isn't 100% clear on this issue because the National Guard troops are also covered on the "carve-out".  It doesn't say that the NG members are only EXEMPTED during planned NG activities such as the 2 weeks a year they spend in training.  In order to offer the same EXEMPTION to ALL armed forces personnel, the "carve-out" was left vague...

There have been instances where FORMER troops (separated, retired, etc.) driving into the PRNJ have gotten jacked-up for non-neutered equipment.  One guy, a lineman by trade, wound-up with PTI over it.  Nappen or someone else with name recognition handled the case...

JR88USMC thanks for your service.  Ditto to Iggy, Ray-Ray & anyone else reading this thread!

Rosey

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:52 AM, GunsnFreedom said:

Are RO's going to round check mags to see if they are 10/30 or 15/30?  No.

I purchased them legally.  The law is supremely stupid and will likely be struck down in court (since a lot of people will have been "harmed" by it) especially seeing how NY's mag ban got struck down for being arbitrary.

Range 14 does.

12 hours ago, JR88USMC said:

No, I’m not emoji23.pngemoji23.png there is no stamp on the magazines they sell at Fort Dix saying “FOR MILITARY USE ONLY” you’re not above the law because you’re in the military. When I was stationed at Camp Pendleton, we could own our own guns, they weren’t stripping that right from us. They did however need to be stored at the Armory and be checked out as we wanted to use them. We could use 30 round mags and non california compliant stuff for personal use, but it had to be done on base at a MWR facility. We had public ranges at both Camp Pendleton & MCAS Miramar, and we could use all non-CA compliant weapons and accessories on those ranges. Same thing when I was stationed at Quantico. 30 round mags are not legal in Prince William, Fairfax, Alexandria and Loudoun Counties, but you could buy them on base, and use them at the Quantico Shooting Club range, which is also a range and club open to non military personnel. Please stop telling me I’m wrong on something I’m well informed about and you aren’t emoji23.pngemoji23.png

As a civilian on the range you have to comply with state law, I was a member of the 44TH Infantry division DCM at Fort Dix as a civilian I had to comply to state laws we ran bivouc 22 and 24 and the pistol range and also 3 times a year the 500 yard range. We also did weaponeer training and requalified 500 grounds-man safe handling M16 for the 1st Iraqi war. 

EDIT: we were told by the Sargent major to obey the speed limit. if the military police pulled us over and ticketed us we would not be allowed back on the range. Also I smoked back then and when we smoked we had to go across the street onto state property we were not allowed to smoke on the federal land.

1 hour ago, tony357 said:

EDIT: we were told by the Sargent major to obey the speed limit. if the military police pulled us over and ticketed us we would not be allowed back on the range. Also I smoked back then and when we smoked we had to go across the street onto state property we were not allowed to smoke on the federal land.

Definitely obey the speed limit on the base.  You will get a ticket for doing 27 in a 25 and you have to appear before a magistrate.  No paying that ticket on-line.

You can smoke at R-14.  Every cease fire is smoke 'em if ya got 'em.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tony357 said:

As a civilian on the range you have to comply with state law, I was a member of the 44TH Infantry division DCM at Fort Dix as a civilian I had to comply to state laws we ran bivouc 22 and 24 and the pistol range and also 3 times a year the 500 yard range. We also did weaponeer training and requalified 500 grounds-man safe handling M16 for the 1st Iraqi war. 

When I was in USMC Reserves we used to use Fort Dix for Rifle Range, back in 2014 our battalion was running Table 1 qualifications, my good friend who was a staff sergeant at the time was the Pit Safety Officer, the pits at Fort Dix do not have a sound booth for the safety officer to stand in while there is live fire(all USMC ranges have them). He was standing in the pits along with all the Marines that were operating the targets, a shot went right through the berm, hit him in the shoulder, round traveled down is body and lodged in his rib cage. He suffered pretty bad nerve damage in his arm and didn't have much use of his arm and hand for a year. Still doesn't really have full use of his hand 4 years later. After that we drove all the way down to Quantico (6 hours) to do rifle range training on an actual USMC Range with safety regulations. Our command tried to fuck him over when he got shot, saying that the Army's SOP is everyone must wear a Flak & Kevlar on the range, yet USMC doesn't require one for Table 1 qualifications, it's just basic marksmanship.

For that reason I will never go to Fort Dix ranges ever. That place is a shit hole and isn't safe.

Any chance APRCNJ can push for a buy back? Because seriously, modified P-Mags cost anywhere from $20-50 each (depending in which platform you use), handgun mags aren’t cheap especially if you own something that uses proprietary mags like a Sig ($40 each) this won’t be cheap for any of us to make neccessary changes.

There is no proof our current 15 round limit is dangerous, and no proof reducing to 10 rounds will make us any safer. They want us to do what they feel, then we feel like they better pony up the cash to make us compliant.