djw2033

Opening a gun range

Has anyone started/finish a project of opening a range ?

say I had the right investors and background that never includes a traffic ticket.

is it feesabke to think I could satisfy all the hoops to jump trough ?  Would 100k be enough of starting money to get everything in place ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, djw2033 said:

Has anyone started/finish a project of opening a range ?

say I had the right investors and background that never includes a traffic ticket.

is it feesabke to think I could satisfy all the hoops to jump trough ?  Would 100k be enough of starting money to get everything in place ?

Talk to the people at Legacy. Pretty sure @Smokin .50 is friends with them.

6 minutes ago, djw2033 said:

1. Has anyone started/finish a project of opening a range ?

2. say I had the right investors and background that never includes a traffic ticket.

3. is it feesabke to think I could satisfy all the hoops to jump trough ?  

4. Would 100k be enough of starting money to get everything in place ?

1. Public? No.

2. Go for it.

3. In the right area, far far away.

4. LOL

• Like 3

a public outdoor range would be nice. There's the land in Hunterdon County for one and even parts of Somerset County.

I’m on the Planning Board in my town. You couldn’t begin to make this presentation to us without a lawyer. You could try but unfortunately the way the system is set up it’s the case. You also need expert testimony ( epa, noise, parking, etc.). Unfortunately NJ has it arranged so just to put a porch on your house could be a 10G move before you start. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BobA said:

I’m on the Planning Board in my town. You couldn’t begin to make this presentation to us without a lawyer. You could try but unfortunately the way the system is set up it’s the case. You also need expert testimony ( epa, noise, parking, etc.). Unfortunately NJ has it arranged so just to put a porch on your house could be a 10G move before you start. 

He’s right better chance of putting in a ohva Park. But the libs hate that also

If you really have 100G the it might be best to buy property and have a private club that everyone pays dues into. You might have a better chance of getting permission to shoot and it can be sustained by dues. Hunterdon County should be your target. Kingwood section would support this. Oh, and make it a nonprofit. Let me know when and I’ll join. 

Think about what a house costs. What does $100K get you.  Now build the house with materials that will hold up to commercial foot traffic, add a parking lot, specialty equipment for the ranges, make it big enough to use, filtered ventilation, storm water management, and lots and lots of other stuff.

I would think you would be starting in the $3 - $5 Million ballpark.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BobA said:

Zoning would be your biggest issue. 

That and I don’t think 100grand would be enough for even the bathrooms. 

and even with zoning being ok......we all know some nuttard will get all the neighbors to sign up against it.

24 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

IMO....indoor.....lousy investment with a poor return. Outdoors on a nice piece of property would be good, if you had the right landscape and location.

Like I said, the kingwood section of Stockton is very gun friendly. 100G would buy a lot of acres there. Private club with limited membership. 

yeah but that's Wantage and Sussex County. Doesn't really get more pro-gun than that.

Of course.  It was an example of property that can be had for the money.  I've been on Zillow a lot lately looking to move.  There can be acreage still bought afford-ably in NJ.  And there are gun friendly areas with enough property.  

1 minute ago, JR88USMC said:

yeah but that's Wantage and Sussex County. Doesn't really get more pro-gun than that.

Actually parts of Hunterton are ok with it too.  Out Frenchtown way.

Of course.  It was an example of property that can be had for the money.  I've been on Zillow a lot lately looking to move.  There can be acreage still bought afford-ably in NJ.  And there are gun friendly areas with enough property.  
Actually parts of Hunterton are ok with it too.  Out Frenchtown way.

Somerset too if you go up in to Bedminster & Peapack.

16 minutes ago, JR88USMC said:

Somerset too if you go up in to Bedminster & Peapack.

Now that would surprise me.  Somerset doesn't exactly seem gun friendly.  I work on 43 acres of wooded land and can't even fire a shot gun in somerset.  

Northern Somerset County is extremely Pro-Gun. Bedminster, Basking Ridge, Bernardsville, Peapack-Gladstone, Warren. These are all very pro-gun towns.

no definitely not. But i bet if some rich guy with a lot of land in one of the mentioned towns wanted to open a range on his property, he probably could.

3 hours ago, JR88USMC said:

Northern Somerset County is extremely Pro-Gun. Bedminster, Basking Ridge, Bernardsville, Peapack-Gladstone, Warren. These are all very pro-gun towns.

Basking Ridge, Peapack-Gladstone, Bernardsville.....maybe back in the day...where do you fact check this .

The Chief of Police in Bedminster, who's told me how many FID holders there are in all these towns...