Displaced Texan

The official Displaced Texan’s ‘bowl of red’ thread

Howdy again, y’all!!

It’s a rainy, crappy day out....perfect for making a big ole pot of Texas chili. I have some smoked brisket left over from my last cooking thread (I vacuum packed and froze it), so we’ll be making ‘BBQ Brisket chili’! We have friends coming over tomorrow to eat, so I’m making this a day ahead so it has time to meld properly. 

First, we start with some good beef. I save the ‘chain’ meat from a whole beef tenderloin when I break them down into filet mignons. I cut the tenderloin chain into pieces about 1/4 the size of your thumb. No worries if they are larger than that, as they will break down as it cooks. I use about 2 lbs. 

Put that in your chili pot, with a couple of tablespoons of good olive oil and brown it. 

I toss in 3 medium sized chopped onion. I used a yellow, white, and a red onion, just because that’s what I had in the kitchen. Toss that in with the beef while it browns, and add a generous amount of chopped garlic. I use around 2 tablespoons.....vampires ain’t a thing around my house! Add kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. 

After that’s all nice and brown, I drain most of the fat off, and add my secret blend of spices. This time, I didn’t go crazy and grind my own chili powder, but I usually do. I will tell you that it’s chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayanne pepper, and a few other little odds and ends I like. For this batch, it’s about 1.5 cups of my chili blend. Add the chili powder blend into the meat, and stir till it’s coated. At this point, I’ll add 3 8oz cans of tomato sauce, 2 cups (about) if water (beef broth if you prefer), and 1 can of Ro-Tel tomatoes. They can be found alongside your tomato paste/sauce at your grocery store. I LOVE the flavor the Ro-Tel tomatoes add! I cook with them often. 

Now for the star of the show....the bbq brisket. I chopped up about 2 lbs, and tossed it in with the chili. I have some left over, so I just might have to make myself a bbq brisket sandwich with the leftovers. Don’t tell Mrs Tex!!!

Stir all this together, turn the heat all the way down, and be patient. Let it simmer for a couple of hours. Stir it every now and again to make sure it doesn’t stick. 

When all the meat is fall apart tender, I like to take about 1/2 cup of masa flour, and a beer (your choice, I’m using a Yuengling Lager) to make a thin paste. Mix it well, and pour this into the chili. It will tighten it up, and add a wonderful flavor!!

Let is simmer...the longer the better. I’ll probably take it off the heat around 7, and then refrigerate it overnight. Everything will come together as it sits, and dinnertime tomorrow, this will be even MORE amazing!

We’ll finish this tomorrow....and I’ll also make some cornbread (in cast iron, of course!), and make it a proper dinner thread. 

Until then, my friends, good eats!!!!

0C8DB366-23F6-4858-91B9-F53409465EDF.jpeg

72F7BBC2-A6EF-4B13-BC84-E1D695E1DD85.jpeg

A8A5E9B2-76C5-43A2-B3F1-07EFDDFFF751.jpeg

7F3A3BFA-DCFC-487E-9D73-A62CB176763F.jpeg

32E2E70E-555A-4E83-937F-96E2849C83B5.jpeg

41D0EC75-E691-4FC1-BCCE-7331DE86446F.jpeg

19CDCFF0-D278-41E5-8D4D-D07308CF87B1.jpeg

D0B717DA-9407-4F37-8DF0-B4EFEBB4F78F.jpeg

CB743FBB-F04F-4DB1-A8FC-8011A2599F47.jpeg

FE7456FF-5B09-4F90-A28C-AF3A904D046F.jpeg

• Like 5

If you guys like hot, then this stuff is awesome. My sister gave me this bottle for Christmas and I’ve been putting it on everything since then. It’s seriously hot, so a little goes a long way. I made chili a few weeks ago and only put a 1/2 tablespoon in and I was sweating like a pig after just a few spoonfuls

d5e5c3a825eb45ea66fee68a40a93324.jpg

9a26f5351523a9a1315dffd3192b3068.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Glad y’all liked! Wait till tomorrow, it will be even better! Right now, my house smells lovely!! Smokey brisket chili goodness!

Cornbread tomorrow, and we’ll put it all together and make it a meal!

There is a bit of cayanne pepper in it, but I don’t make it too hot. I can’t take ‘really spicy’ anymore, and my guests tomorrow can’t either. 

@fishnut I know plenty of folks back home who serve chili over rice. That’s not that odd. 

I'm with fishnut. I like beans in my chili. Red Kidney and black. A touch of cayenne but too much heat will obscure the flavor of the other ingredients.

My recipe other than the beans is very similar to Tex's so it's nice to know i've been doing it almost right for the last 30 years.

• Like 1

I’ve seen chili served over noddles in Cincinnati, and a few other places in Ohio.  They ain’t right over there. 

Will be starting cornbread soon. 2 types....cheesey cornbread and honey cornbread. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Displaced Texan said:

I’ve seen chili served over noddles in Cincinnati, and a few other places in Ohio.  They ain’t right over there. 

Will be starting cornbread soon. 2 types....cheesey cornbread and honey cornbread. 

Lmao!

Now, we’re going to make cornbread. I’m making 2 batches, one cheese and one honey. 

Not doing anything earth shattering here, using 2 boxes of Jiffy corn muffin mix per batch. 

Heat your oven up to 400*, and put your cast iron skillet(s) in for at least an hour. Getting that skillet nice and hot will ensure you get a nice crust on the bottom of your cornbread. 

Mix it up per directions. I’m adding 3 tablespoons of honey to one batch, and about 1 cup of shredded Mexican blend cheese to the other. Let them sit for about 5-10 mins in the bowl. 

Grease up your skillet with Crisco (that’s what my momma always used), pour in the batter, and pop it in the oven for 25-30 mins. They are done when a toothpick in the middle comes out clean. 

The cornbread should fall out of the skillet without any fuss, if you did your job right. 

Look at that crust in the last pic. Perfect. The honey cornbread is on the left, cheese cornbread is on the right. 

I’m gonna have to sample a bit of both before guests get here.....don’t tell Mrs Tex....

FC4CDA58-45E6-42D7-AFAC-D2D14C0BA5CE.jpeg

68986978-5199-402E-A1FA-070B00644DC0.jpeg

0866C8E0-3449-4F1F-B66D-6A9310FEE404.jpeg

3003D34B-2A45-4554-8D5D-4F6A1B204822.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

Now, we’re going to make cornbread. I’m making 2 batches, one cheese and one honey. 

Not doing anything earth shattering here, using 2 boxes of Jiffy corn muffin mix per batch. 

Heat your oven up to 400*, and put your cast iron skillet(s) in for at least an hour. Getting that skillet nice and hot will ensure you get a nice crust on the bottom of your cornbread. 

Mix it up per directions. I’m adding 3 tablespoons of honey to one batch, and about 1 cup of shredded Mexican blend cheese to the other. Let them sit for about 5-10 mins in the bowl. 

Grease up your skillet with Crisco (that’s what my momma always used), pour in the batter, and pop it in the oven for 25-30 mins. They are done when a toothpick in the middle comes out clean. 

The cornbread should fall out of the skillet without any fuss, if you did your job right. 

Look at that crust in the last pic. Perfect. The honey cornbread is on the left, cheese cornbread is on the right. 

I’m gonna have to sample a bit of both before guests get here.....don’t tell Mrs Tex....

FC4CDA58-45E6-42D7-AFAC-D2D14C0BA5CE.jpeg

68986978-5199-402E-A1FA-070B00644DC0.jpeg

0866C8E0-3449-4F1F-B66D-6A9310FEE404.jpeg

3003D34B-2A45-4554-8D5D-4F6A1B204822.jpeg

No problem with the sample taste.....We won't tell! Just take the sample from the bottom! They both look great by the way!:)

• Like 1

I agree, no beans.  But, no peppers?  I use half a bell pepper per onion and at least one jalapeno per pound of meat, with the seeds.  I also use a lb of ground hot italian sausage in my chili.  Gives it a really great flavor...The cornbread looks fantastic!!  I'm gonna try that cheese batch next time im in a chili kinda mood.  :)