Sign in to follow this  
45Doll

History Question About Previous Federal AWB

I was not that active with firearms while the 10 year federal assault weapons ban was in place. Nor was I contemplating building an AR-15 or similar rifle.

Does anyone know: While the AWB was in place, were AR-15 lower parts (except for receivers) and upper parts and assemblies still available for sale?

Since the AWB did not call for confiscation, I'm assuming they were available for people who already owned a rifle. But I'd like to know for sure.

This was the ban. Looks to be identical to what we have now in the PRNJ. Except for the grandfather clause.

Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:

• Like 1

*Back then there weren't that many AR Mfgs. The well known ones were Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, DPMS, and Olympic Arms.

*Choice of either a rifle or carbine gas system to choose from. Don't remember when mid-length gas systems came out.

*Common barrel lengths were 20", 16", and 14.5". Not going to include SBR's as they cannot be purchased/assembled legally without a tax stamp.

*Rail systems weren't invented until later. Not much accessories to add to your AR other than a bipod, sling, and a flashlight.

*The only polymer magazine mfg was Thermold. No Magpul PMags.

*ARFcom wasn't the dumpster fire as it is now today.

Regards,

TokenEntry

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zeke said:

Wasn’t the fed ban restrictions the same as N.J. current restrictions?

The Federal AWB (1992) was modeled after the NJ AWB (1990). The only differences I can recall is the Federal law grandfathered all guns and magazines that were already our there and limited new magazines to 10 rounds.

On 2/17/2018 at 11:36 PM, GRIZ said:

The Federal AWB (1992) was modeled after the NJ AWB (1990). The only differences I can recall is the Federal law grandfathered all guns and magazines that were already our there and limited new magazines to 10 rounds.

Federal ban went into effect in 1994. NJ's "evil features" list was not included in the 1990 AWB law (under 2C:), which is why you only find it in the Administrative Code (Title 13). When the "substantially identical" portion of the 1990 AWB was ruled unconstitutionally vague (1996 or so), the judge ordered the AG at the time to define what "substantially identical" means, he plagiarized the federal definition giving us our current "evil features" list. So, I'm not sure who dreamed up the "evil features" list, but I know California was the first state to ban "assault weapons" after the Stockton shooting (guy shot up a daycare center with an AK type rifle), so it may have come from there.