Sign in to follow this  

A pro-gun article on nj.com? say it ain't so!

But there has to be something going on in our society that has caused angry, evil or mentally disturbed young men to plan and carry out these rare mass shootings at Columbine, Sandy Hook and Parkland.

Is it because of social media? Violent video games? Bullying in schools? Broken families? Anti-depressant drugs? Boredom? All of the above? Something else?

Whatever the cause, we need to sit down as a country and figure out how we can identify, help or stop crazy or violent individuals before they carry out their deadly attacks.

that's a simple solution, stop giving people a platform to voice their opinion publicly like it's the gospel.

MSM is obsessed with guns. It is not rational. Where is the outrage over automobile accidents. On average 100 people die everyday from automobile accidents. That include around 3 children. Everyday. Where are the calls to stop the carnage, restricting who can drive, where people can drive (like a car free school zone within say 1000 feet of any school), electronic id locks on cars so only the registered owner can drive the car, restrictions on the weight of the cars, the size of the cars. If only one child can be saved wouldn't it be worth it?

• Like 1

Good article.  Thanks for posting it.  It's a refreshing change from the multitude of opinion pieces going the other way in this morning's Bergen Record.  

Why do I continue to subscribe?  I guess I take some kind of masochistic pleasure from reading all the anti-gun opinions, plus I enjoy the coverage of HS sports and the puzzles.  

15 minutes ago, Zeke said:

FBI crime statistics 

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2016/crime-in-the-u.s.-2016/tables/table-12

for all you face bookers and tweeters

372 killed in the PRNJ in 2016. 272 were killed with guns. ONE was killed with a rifle!  Do the dumbasses concentrate on lowering the 272, no, they go after that big 1 killing with a rifle!:mad:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyB said:

372 killed in the PRNJ in 2016. 272 were killed with guns. ONE was killed with a rifle!  Do the dumbasses concentrate on lowering the 272, no, they go after that big 1 killing with a rifle!:mad:

More to the point... I'd love to know how many of the killers were already ex-felons at the time they committed those crimes. My educated guess is that it would be roughly 300 or better (as it likely aligns with proportions found in crime studies all across the country). So, how about they focus on keeping violent criminals in prison longer...? Doing a deep-dive analysis to find better predictive methods for parole...? Increasing the # of parole officers so they can keep a closer eye on parolees...? Reducing plea bargaining/"revolving door" courts...? 

Why? Because that would put the focus on the CRIMINALS. Which they simply don't want to do. It gets too close to all kinds of sensitive issues that politicians don't want to touch.

9 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Njsp

http://www.njsp.org/ucr/pdf/current/20170818_2016_crimetrend.pdf

look at the assault stats

1 minute ago, Mrs. Peel said:

More to the point... I'd love to know how many of the killers were already ex-felons at the time they committed those crimes. My educated guess is that it would be roughly 300 or better (as it likely aligns with proportions found in crime studies all across the country). So, how about they focus on keeping violent criminals in prison longer...? Doing a deep-dive analysis to find better predictive methods for parole...? Increasing the # of parole officers so they can keep a closer eye on parolees...? Reducing plea bargaining/"revolving door" courts...? 

Why? Because that would put the focus on the CRIMINALS. Which they simply don't want to do. It gets too close to all kinds of sensitive issues that politicians don't want to touch.

Habitual offender stats?

10 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Njsp

http://www.njsp.org/ucr/pdf/current/20170818_2016_crimetrend.pdf

look at the assault stats

Habitual offender stats?

There have been several large studies done - by DOJ, large universities, criminal justice think tanks - all showing very high percentages of crime specifically by ex-felons, literally 80-90% range - NOT including those with a list of misdemeanors mind you... if you lump those in, you're much closer to 95% of serious violent crimes committed.

Those studies aren't conducted or published as widely as they should be. They show the real picture of crime in this country. Crimes like this school shooting - as horrific as it is - are the OPPOSITE of "the norm". But, I know I'm preaching to the choir!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mrs. Peel said:

There have been several large studies done - by DOJ, large universities, criminal justice think tanks - all showing very high percentages of crime specifically by ex-felons, literally 80-90% range - NOT including those with a list of misdemeanors mind you... if you lump those in, you're much closer to 95% of serious violent crimes committed.

Those studies aren't conducted or published as widely as they should be. They show the real picture of crime in this country. Crimes like this school shooting - as horrific as it is - are the OPPOSITE of "the norm". But, I know I'm preaching to the choir!

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2016/03/09/seven-things-to-know-about-repeat-offenders

quick find.

3 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Yeah, the recidivism rate is high --- and those that fall back into crime account for an overwhelming majority of crimes committed in this country.

Gee, sounds like a logical place to look to make improvements, right? :facepalm:

how about from that stat, they show how many gun crimes in NJ were from legally purchased firearms to the suspects name?

What really disgusts me in this state is how they lump gang gun violence in this state in with law abiding gun owners. When you bring that up in the case of a mass shooting, it's irrelevant, but it's relevant when they push their agenda.