tblant

NJ Dept of Corrections push up requirement

My step daughter was not able to do this requirement about 12-18 months ago and did not complete the academy.  I think it was 24 push-ups in one minute or something close to that.  It looks like she is going back and says this is no longer a requirement since many were not passing...per her.  I google it but can only find the NJ State Police test.

anyone know the NJ Corrections push up requirement? Thx

I would think the NJSP number would be pretty close. Most have a minimum, but unsure if they do the point system like NJSP (could get a max of 28, need 20 to pass; and must score at least 1 point for each component; relay, push-ups, sit-ups, and 1.5 mile run).

Not to be a jerk, but she does realize that she will have to do push-ups in the academy? Any of those tests just give a baseline for hiring people that should be able to get into the academy. I forget what the minimum number was for the NJSP when I was in the application process... but I do remember the first PEPP II session I went to, when the instructors bluntly said that the original PT test doesn’t mean s***. One PEPP session (first one I ever did), we did push-ups for about 5 minutes straight (which I’m not saying is a long time). Everyone was in pain, and most of us couldn’t hold ourselves up. That is what those minimum PT tests give the academy to work with. You worry about doing 47 or 49 within a minute, not any more.

And that was an introduction to the academy... not the academy.

If she doesn’t do push-ups well, start doing them every day until she graduates.

I'm a little confused by this. Don't mean to sound like a dick here but your looking for a job that requires fighting huge criminals everyday but you don't want to do push ups?

• Like 4

I just talked to a friend who is an instructor at the DOC Academy.

He said that on the initial assessment a recruit must do a minimum of 24 push ups in 60 seconds, 28 sit ups in 60 seconds, 300 meter sprint in under 70.1 seconds, and run 1 1/2 mile in less than 15:55 minutes.

He said that they are very strict and if you can not meet the minimum requirements they will send you home.

He also said that if your elbow doesn't come to a 90 degree angle on the way down the push up doesn't count.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, louu said:

I'm a little confused by this. Don't mean to sound like a dick here but your looking for a job that requires fighting huge criminals everyday but you don't want to do push ups?

I agree. The physical requirements are there for a reason. And if anyone wants to do that kind of potentially dangerous work, he/she should also consider that being in top condition could, in fact, make the difference between life and death in certain situations.

@tblant... your step-daughter might be well-served by spending some time really thinking about her career choice and trying to figure out... what exactly appeals to her about that particular job  (the authority? the risk? the structure? the environment? the uniform? etc.) If it turns out she just can't meet the physical demands, there may well be a dozen or more other careers that would fulfill her desires just as nicely (or even more) without the physical demands! I'm sure she has options. EMT, prison nurse, DOC administrator, private investigator are careers that immediately come to mind that might hold some appeal for her, again depending on her unique motivations and interests. 

I don't know how old your step-daughter is, but I do know that public schools do a pretty poor job of showing kids a multitude of career options... and so sometimes they tend to latch on to one idea (almost by accident) and then they're just crushed if it doesn't work out.

FYI, there's something called the Strong Interest Inventory... it's widely used at college career centers, etc. It's been validated over many years of use. It's a multi-question inventory with questions like this: Would you prefer to a) bandage a wound, b) fix a radio, c) landscape a yard... etc., etc. It's takes no more than an hour to fill out as I recall. Then, the results are compared to profiles of people across all occupations and it tells you which occupations your answers aligned with the most closely. (Because, yeah, studies do show that similar "types" of people tend to be attracted to the same lines of work). My point is, it doesn't just give you one option, it gives you multiple options... and sometimes the results are rather surprising! But, either way, it does tend to spark ideas of career options to explore. (That's never a bad thing... even if she does become a Corrections Officer, she might enjoy a career change at some future point... it's good to stay flexible). 

I personally don't do that kind of test-based career counseling... I've considered getting certified in a few assessment tools, but the people I work with are mostly higher professional/executive levels and are already well along their career track. So, it probably wouldn't pay for me to go that route (though I find it quite interesting!) But, if your step-daughter hasn't done something like that before, she might really benefit from it. So, if interested... PM me, I can at least give you some suggestions on how to track that down.

• Like 1

Thanks gfl216.  I suspected that was the case.  Believe there is a vertical jump too.  

I understand the confusion from the other posters.  Her approach to everything is off kilter.  She likes to do the bare minimum and in this particular case she is again delusional (she was told they don’t enforce it the first time she failed and here we are a year or so later and she is hearing those same ramblings from friends in the field...the same ones who told her a year ago.

thank you.

3 hours ago, tblant said:

Thanks gfl216.  I suspected that was the case.  Believe there is a vertical jump too.  

I understand the confusion from the other posters.  Her approach to everything is off kilter.  She likes to do the bare minimum and in this particular case she is again delusional (she was told they don’t enforce it the first time she failed and here we are a year or so later and she is hearing those same ramblings from friends in the field...the same ones who told her a year ago.

thank you.

You're Welcome,

He didn't say anything about a vertical jump but if you would like I could ask.

If you search NJDOC on YouTube there are several videos that give a pretty good idea of what to expect at the academy.

Not necessary. She was good on sit ups, run and jump but can’t do push ups.  I tell her to start on 3rd step.  After a few days put hands on second step, then step one and eventually the floor...  we’ll see.  Her sister competes in Bikini body building competitions and goes to the gym everyday but cN’t do more than 7 perfect DOC style push ups.  I am 49, overweight and can do 40...because I do them 3 to 4 Times a week.  As one poster above stated the only way to do push ups is to practice by doing push ups.

i have shared your friends info so she knows the game...ball in her court. Thanks again.

Not sure about the vertical jump in DOC, but know there isn’t one in NJSP. The Monmouth County Chief’s Test does a vertical... multiple attempts, but once you score above the requirement, you are done.

To be honest, if she did it once in the past year or so... it is going to be the same as that one. Things like that really don’t change unless there is a big movement within the agency (usually, a lawsuit). When I took a few of the Chief’s Tests over the past few years, they first mirrored the NJSP test. When Monmouth County got their CALEA accreditation, there were a few differences with tests over the years around that time. Sprints were swapped out for pull-ups one year. Vertical jump used to be a slap on the gym wall, went away, and then they started using those markers that were adjusted for your height. Push-ups and sit-ups were always there for any PT test I’ve done, and the 1.5 mile run is a usual thing.

Maybe tell her to look into Federal DOC. If their initial PT test is anything like CBP, she should be good. They do it via a recording at a occupational health center, and the recording I got was already out of date. You have to do push-ups/sit-ups within a minute... and even the website says you must do 10/12, but get more points towards the final score by doing more. NOPE! People have complained enough that you do your 10/12, and the administrator will not allow you to do anymore. Could get you unprepared for the next section. I will say for as stupid as it sounds, their step test really kicks the hell out of you. They do a 120 beat per minute cadence, “up, up, down, down.” Step height was different between CBP and Border Patrol, but 10 or 12 inches (forget which). Problem is that it is done for five minutes straight... and after about two minutes, your leg starts to tell you no. Can switch which leg goes first, but cannot lose step or get out of cadence for more than one full set... or you fail.

Similar issue... you get people that think they are good to go with 10/12 within a minute, and they drop out of FLETC quick, IF they weren’t told to get in shape beforehand. I actually was more happy with Border Patrol still doing a second PT, just before FLETC, where you do a common PT test (normal aspects, including the 1.5 mile). CBP used to do a second PT, which I guess that went with the extra push-ups/sit-ups. But they also go to different FLETCs.

I definitely wouldn’t want to tell the girl not to show interest in Corrections. It is a great job, with awesome pay, and a huge need for female recruits (only two downsides... locked in with inmates and forced overtime if someone calls out sick and you have least seniority). But if she can’t do push-ups, and has no desire to even get to the point where she could pass the PT test, she is wasting her time. I was in the position to hear a lot of applicants give their perspective on PT... and I can guarantee that any that just acted like it wasn’t important, none are in the position that they were trying out for, unless they tried again afterwards and got their head in the game.

When I was first applying, a coworker of my parents (happen to be a girl), was boasting about her upcoming PT test for Ocean County. Talked to her for a few minutes, and realized she had no idea what she was attempting... as in she didn’t even read the requirements. Was also very arrogant about it, so left it alone. A few weeks later, was talking to another worker, and she walked past. Mentioned I was going to ask how she did... was told she really wasn’t interested in L/E, so didn’t complete it. These tests aren’t bad... so either she didn’t pass and was embarrassed, or did so poorly that instructors went off on her for not being prepared.

Positions like that are pretty competitive. When I got into the actual NJSP application process, I was on a list with 10,000 people. Moved down to 250ish, since they did overflows (a lot of withdrawals happened in the first week, so they had extra people to put in to refill the barracks early on; wanted to get better than 50% graduating). If she has friends telling her it is easy, either she is misunderstanding them or they are a crappy set of friends. A state L/E organization CANNOT hold a test for hiring, and not enforce a requirement. Not only does that open them up for lawsuits from those who weren’t picked, they are placing people into a position, which the taxpayers cover the background investigations, and the likelihood of them failing the academy is pretty high. I mean, people that pass the PT tests don’t all make it to graduation. If that ever got out, you’d see the entire academy and hiring staffs being fired.

I do feel sorry that you are in that position, but glad you actually are trying to help her. Sometimes, you have to let people make mistakes. At least here, she isn’t going to hurt anything but her pride.

I'm sorry but are you sure that is correct? 24 push ups in one minute? A person under the age of 40 can't do that? That's some seriously poor physical shape....no offense. Why not just hit the gym, lose some weight, shape up and try again?

When I get home, I’ll pull out the form that had my results for the NJSP test. To score one point, I’m pretty sure you had to do 17 or so. Then, you gained points as you do more... which go to your cumulative score (would need to rack up 19 points on the other three parts). I do remember a handful of applicant numbers called out after both the push-ups and sit-ups... which were applicants that didn’t make the one point minimum. Were asked if they wanted to continue for practice, which most did. They didn’t call them out again, but remember one near me not doing too well when he continued.

You see a lot of applicants in great shape, who blow past you in the run, and then you see some that couldn’t even complete the test. I felt bad for them, but I never went into a PT test without knowing what was required to pass. Poor preparation isn’t really an excuse.