roxxer69

Least Obnoxious Muzzle Break?

First post on the forum, be gentle...

Building my first NJ compliant AR15. I am aware that muzzle breaks / comps & the word "quiet" do not go together, however I would like to find a muzzle break / comp that does not annoy the shit out of me or the person next to me in terms of noise and muzzle blast. (Yes, I know it's a gun range and things go boom man up etc...) But I am a sucker for being considerate.

Scouring the internet, I have been led to the Battle Comp (Expensive), Troy Claymore, Carlson Comp Mini (Illegal?) as my choices for reasonable breaks. Would any of you kind, fellow oppressed New Jerseyans enlighten me on what muzzle break you use that isn't totally obnoxious? Thanks!

You primarily put a brake on for function, I have a SJC titan brake that will loosen your fillings but you can triple tap like it was a 22. If someone shooting next to you is offended by your " loud " brake the should take up bird watching or something similarly quiet.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, tattooo said:

You primarily put a brake on for function, I have a SJC titan brake that will loosen your fillings but you can triple tap like it was a 22. If someone shooting next to you is offended by your " loud " brake the should take up bird watching or something similarly quiet.

download (1).jpeg

• Like 1

I believe Murphy already plans on making muzzle brakes illegal, just like flash hiders! If you do get one, don't spend too much for it if you plan on taking it to the range. Buy stock in a company that makes unthreaded barrels and thread protectors with the leftover funds! :mad:

I believe Murphy already plans on making muzzle brakes illegal, just like flash hiders! If you do get one, don't spend too much for it if you plan on taking it to the range. Buy stock in a company that makes unthreaded barrels and thread protectors with the leftover funds! :mad:

This Governor is an as-hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, GramGun79 said:

This i going to screw a lot of people. Me included. Most of my builds are 14.5 :angry:

THAT is why he's doing it! I am in the same boat! Don't go buying a new 16 inch non-threaded replacement barrel just yet since he will not stop there!

My 16'' upper is already on the way...screw him he can try and take it....anyway back on topic. Assuming muzzle breaks will not become illegal...

Anyone know if a pinned thread protector could be taken off and replaced with a muzzle break? I would assume no but I wonder if it's been done.

Just now, roxxer69 said:

My 16'' upper is already on the way...screw him he can try and take it....anyway back on topic. Assuming muzzle breaks will not become illegal...

Anyone know if a pinned thread protector could be taken off and replaced with a muzzle break? I would assume no but I wonder if it's been done.

Why replace the whole upper? The barrel is cheaper! With regards to the thread protector, it all depends if it was just pinned or pinned and welded! Just pinned, get your dremmel and grind the pin down to where you can take off the protector!

5 minutes ago, roxxer69 said:

it can be removed if done properly. Ive had pinned muzzle brakes removed and replaced 

Just now, tattooo said:

Please lets not go through the whole sky is falling thing again ..... Just get what you want that is currently legal now, don't worry about what may or may not happen in the future.

No sky is falling my friend! There are those that say buy as many AR s as you can now! There are those who are in a panic looking to sell everything black!

I choose to do nothing right now until I know all the facts!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Why replace the whole upper? The barrel is cheaper! With regards to the thread protector, it all depends if it was just pinned or pinned and welded! Just pinned, get your dremmel and grind the pin down to where you can take off the protector!

Not replacing, building my first AR15 :B:):

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roxxer69 said:

I hear yah, but if there was a happy medium between function & muzzle blast / noise level that's what I would be looking for. My go to was going to be the Carlson Comp Mini but I'm still hesitant because of the whole "pinky test". Says it's post ban compliant but...  

I am looking forward to it...back to the topic.

What about linear compensators? Their function is to direct blast forward correct? How does it benefit the shooter and does the blast come back at the shooters face even though its projected forward? @Zeke mentioned the Warden, too expensive for my current build but would that be considered a linear comp?

33 minutes ago, roxxer69 said:

I am looking forward to it...back to the topic.

What about linear compensators? Their function is to direct blast forward correct? How does it benefit the shooter and does the blast come back at the shooters face even though its projected forward? @Zeke mentioned the Warden, too expensive for my current build but would that be considered a linear comp?

Warden and that type of product goes on the brake device. As needed

36 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Warden and that type of product goes on the brake device. As needed

Interesting, just watched some videos. I take it it's legal in NJ? Pardon my ignorance, but would the primary function be to mitigate muzzle blast away from the shooter? Or are there any other benefits using this system such as decreased muzzle flip?

Screw all this nonsense. Do what you want. I’m not changing jack. I am also not going out and buying as many ARs as I can afford.
Past, present and future. Explain to me why the hell you need dozens of ARs? You can only shoot one at a time. Buy one or two of your fav or the best of the best. If it ever comes to confiscate, they will take all and you lose a ton of money. If you hide one or many, where you going to shoot them?
This whole thing is crazy. 🤪

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1