roxxer69

Least Obnoxious Muzzle Break?

Since my arsenal currently consists of a Walther PPQ, Lee Enflield Bolt Action (Thanks Dad), and a battle ready Katana (My HD weapon), I figured why not branch out into the black rifle world. My thought was a nice mid range like a Sport 2, but then decided it would be better to build an AR than spend $700 on a Sport 2 that I would change out the stock & hanguard for anyway.

My only hiccup is the muzzle device. Thread protector, compensator, or linear comp?

One option - Get a VG6 brake... then get the Brake Cage.  If you're shooting outdoors you have a somewhat blasty comp then you add the cage on top for when you're indoors or near people (it bolts on to the brake) and it helps mitigate the blast.

Both are on sale right now for $40 

http://schuylerarmsco.com/category/vg6-muzzle-devices-993

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

One option - Get a VG6 brake... then get the Brake Cage.  If you're shooting outdoors you have a somewhat blasty comp then you add the cage on top for when you're indoors or near people (it bolts on to the brake) and it helps mitigate the blast.

Any experience using these products? Seems similar to what @Zeke mentioned, the SureFire Warden. Only issue for me is the price. $80 for the combo and $65 to get it pinned on by the local gun shop.

I'd still hop on the Carlson Comp Mini if I was confident it wouldn't be considered a flash hider.

Everything about the Carlson Comp Mini says it's a brake, not a FH.

VG6 is an excellent brake from what I've seen in the reviews, etc.  If you really want to fight muzzle rise, etc, that's a good product.  If you just want to have a muzzle device pinned on, go for the Carlson.

3 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Everything about the Carlson Comp Mini says it's a brake, not a FH.

........  If you just want to have a muzzle device pinned on, go for the Carlson.

I think you have that backwards.  The Mini Comp is just a comp, it's only ported on the top.  It's sole function is to control muzzle rise.

1 hour ago, Scorpio64 said:

Because recoil from a 223 is a mutherfucker.

No. You’re right. It’s not.

But....

Shoot a Modified Navy Qual* with a crowned barrel.

Then shoot it with a well designed comp/brake attached.

Compare your times.

A quality device makes a difference.

* Modified Navy Qualification

Distance: 50 yard line

Target: 8” circle (NRA B8 8 ring)

Passing Time: 24 seconds

Prep: Load 3 mags with 5 rounds each. Load one mag and store the other 2 on your body appropriately for reloads.

Course of fire: 5 rounds standing, speed reload, 5 rounds kneeling, speed reload, 5 rounds prone.

Scoring: Each round out of the 8” circle adds 1 second to your time. Any shots off the paper, DQ.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

* Modified Navy Qualification

Distance: 50 yard line

Target: 8” circle (NRA B8 8 ring)

Passing Time: 24 seconds

Prep: Load 3 mags with 5 rounds each. Load one mag and store the other 2 on your body appropriately for reloads.

Course of fire: 5 rounds standing, speed reload, 5 rounds kneeling, speed reload, 5 rounds prone.

Scoring: Each round out of the 8” circle adds 1 second to your time. Any shots off the paper, DQ.

I'll have to try that.  I don't practice enough with my M4gery, just 50 or so rounds every once in a while, standing and from the bench on a bag, just to make sure I still know how to look down a red dot.

YAKNOW? i'm prolly gonna get laughed at for this....but i don't think i've ever shot from prone. ever. dammit. now i'm gonna have to try that qual.......

Good thing, especially in the sand. Your gun will end up much shorter. Especially with higher calibers like the 50...
[emoji57]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bailed on getting the Carlson Mini. Even though I obtained the BATF letter, NJ's vague laws still made me nervous so I decided it's better not to risk it. 

I'm preparing to order the VG6 Gamma along with the VG6 Cage. Found some for sale, $90 shipped for the pair. Anyone have this combination? How do you like it?

43 minutes ago, roxxer69 said:

I bailed on getting the Carlson Mini. Even though I obtained the BATF letter, NJ's vague laws still made me nervous so I decided it's better not to risk it. 

I'm preparing to order the VG6 Gamma along with the VG6 Cage. Found some for sale, $90 shipped for the pair. Anyone have this combination? How do you like it?

Let us know.

i learn from the people here. 

Ar 70% @High Exposure 30% @Displaced Texan

usually ends with “ shut up and jus do what I say, or I’ll hurt you”

pain? 50% @GRIZ and 50% @Mrs.Zeke

hope that helps....

7 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Damn it, I just paid $64 1.5 months ago for the VG6 Gamma EX, and that was a good deal at the time. Oh well...

To the OP, I'm not sure how well it works yet. I'm building my first rifle on Friday. 

EDIT: I actually paid $54ish, I had a coupon for 15% off. Different website though lol

Tough for me to pull the trigger on this one...SO many different pieces of advice I am tempted to just buy a thread protector, have it pinned and call it a day lol.

This is what I gathered so far.

1. Muzzle Brakes are not needed for an AR15 UNLESS you plan on making fast follow up shots which I do not foresee myself doing. (The Cage seems to work but I have read it does not prevent side blast as much as you would think)
  2. Comps are a better option as they prevent muzzle flip (some would argue this is not needed on a 556 either) but are still loud and produce a blast.
  3. Linear comps produce the blast down range but do not seem to have any advantage.

I just can't make up my mind here...

4 minutes ago, silverado427 said:

I have the gamma 556  and the 556 ex.  I really like them

I have no experience with them but have only read good things about them. I chose the EX because they state it's made specifically for a 14.5"-16" barrel which is what I was going to use. Thanks for the reassurance!

Oh also the VG6 just looks badass!

2 hours ago, roxxer69 said:

Tough for me to pull the trigger on this one...SO many different pieces of advice I am tempted to just buy a thread protector, have it pinned and call it a day lol.

This is what I gathered so far.

1. Muzzle Brakes are not needed for an AR15 UNLESS you plan on making fast follow up shots which I do not foresee myself doing. (The Cage seems to work but I have read it does not prevent side blast as much as you would think)
  2. Comps are a better option as they prevent muzzle flip (some would argue this is not needed on a 556 either) but are still loud and produce a blast.
  3. Linear comps produce the blast down range but do not seem to have any advantage.

I just can't make up my mind here...

A bull barrel is just as or if not louder then a barrel with a brake .  

• Like 1

Just now, tattooo said:
13 hours ago, silverado427 said:
A bull barrel is just as or if not louder then a barrel with a brake .  

Why would the thickness of a barrel make it louder ?? That has not been my observation.

I think what he means by "bull"  is a non threaded target barrel, which is usually a bull profile and has an 11 deg target crown.  i.e. he believes a target crown is just as loud as a brake.

• Like 1

I think what he means by "bull"  is a non threaded target barrel, which is usually a bull profile and has an 11 deg target crown.  i.e. he believes a target crown is just as loud as a brake.
Even so it wouldn't even come close to the loudness of a brake.
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, bhunted said:

Good thing, especially in the sand. Your gun will end up much shorter. Especially with higher calibers like the 50...
emoji57.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i don't even own anything in 50 cal......although them talking about banning them makes me wanna go out and try to afford one....

5 hours ago, tattooo said:
5 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

Even so it wouldn't even come close to the loudness of a brake.

I was next  to a guy with a non- threaded barrel and that ar was louder than mine. 

• Like 1