roxxer69

Least Obnoxious Muzzle Break?

I have found plain barrel 16" AR's to be pretty loud In fact seemingly louder than a braked or comped AR. I think this is due to the direction of the sound wave. With a plain barrel it can bounce off objects right back at the shooter. I think Brakes/Comps send it in a different direction and less comes back. This is in environments with things to reflect off of. If you were in the wide open the experience would likely be different. I find the Griffen to be pretty good at blast/concussion and it has a blast shield available.

https://www.griffinarmament.com/M4SD-5-56-Tactical-Compensator-1-2x28-p/xhp556tc.htm

I find it doesn't have the negative push down that the Battlecomp has. I have a Gemtech with blast shield too. I find that it indeed aides when trying to be considerate to fellow shooters. It does seem to counter the brakes effectiveness but when in an environment I need the shield, I don't care.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Shane45 said:

I have found plain barrel 16" AR's to be pretty loud In fact seemingly louder than a braked or comped AR. I think this is due to the direction of the sound wave.

I'm with you on this. Part of it may be that the dudes with bare muzzles seem to also always be shooting m193 of m855 type ammo, which is loud. 

However, comps, to a limited extent do some of the same things flash suppressors do in spades. Namely act as a heat sink and diffuse the gas. This takes heat energy out of the gas quicker, and this can often times mean they get a teensy bit less blasty. They then of course usually point that blast some direction other than "thataway" which mitigates the very minimal losses. Some flash suppressors also rob the expanding gas of energy via a tuning fork effect. Which is why you get a way different sounding muzzle blast out of a vortex style flash suppressor. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• olight.jpg

Use Promo Code "NJGF10" for 10% Off Regular Items

• Supporting Vendors

• Latest Topics

• Similar Content

• By Rick_F
      Hi there,
      I was wondering what muzzle brakes/comps everyone is using.  I have a Battle Comp on one of my rifles and a KVP on an "other."  I'm looking for an option to pin on a 14.5" barrel to exceed 16'.  I was hoping for something milder than the Battle Comp, which exhibits too much concussion for my tastes.  A few people recommended the VG6 Gamma, but I would need the EX for length, and it looks to be discontinued.  The Epsilon has the length but VG6 said it's not NJ legal.  The Bravo Comp looks good, but on some old threads here it wasn't clear if it was GTG from a legal standpoint.  Please let me know what you would recommended for shooting in an indoor range.  Thanks.  
    • By urbanity
      Hi all. 

Initially I wanted to install 14x1mm LH AK-74 style muzzle break made by Chris Butler at AK-USA. But my biggest concern is that this muzzle device will make the rifle louder (when I shoot indoors). AK-74 style brakes put a lot of gas out to the sides, they direct so much concussive force sideways towards other people, so it feels more intense.

To make the long story short. I'm looking for one of the modern brakes that directs gas forward, to avoid anything with larger lateral ports.

The original 4 piece Bulgarian is considered a flash hider. I'd also avoid anything with a thread.

Do any of the following linear brakes look g2g to you guys:

1. http://www.ultimatearmsgear.com/Ultimate-Arms-Gear-Concussion-Overpressure/dp/B015GE5HUC

2. https://www.custommuzzlebrakes.com/#!/Tactical-Low-Concussion-Rifle-Muzzle-Brake/p/35179679/category=7058691 (choose M14-1 LH 7.62mm AK47)

3. http://www.griffinarmament.com/Griffin-Armament-QD-Blast-Shield-p/gaqdbs.htm
      Are brake shields like this one (the Griffin Armament QD Blast Shield) even legal in NJ?

Would appreciate any suggestions!
      Thanks.
    • By PK90
      What would be your ideal NJ legal muzzle device? Length? Diameter? Placement of holes and/or slots? Open or closed end? Do you want it to reduce recoil, muzzle rise or just look evil?

I am contemplating designing and having one manufactured. It will be long enough to make 14.5" barrels 16", and the threads will be 1/2" x 28 TPI. The sound and flash will not be controlled. It will be tested and found to NOT suppress the flash and it will be advertised that way to satisfy NJ laws.

Thoughts?
    • By SgtToadette
      I'm pretty sure I missed the memo on this one. I see a bunch of mentions that people have their muzzle devices both pinned and welded to their barrels for the purpose of making their semi-auto rifles compliant.

Is simply having the muzzle device pinned not enough? I find that strange since we don't need to have our stocks welded and pinning seems to be the acceptable means by which 14 inch barrels with 2 inch muzzle devices are not considered SBRs in free states.

For context, the reason I ask is because I've finalized my decision for what AR upper to slap on my lower. The upper will have a 14 inch barrel with a pinned compensator when it arrives on my doorstep. Would I need to have additional work done so I'm not lugging around an Assault Weapons as per NJ State law? Is there some statute that defines what permanently affixed means or is welding just done as overkill to remove all doubt?
    • I saw Lara's interview on Bannon's War Room, and that gave me pause for thought. Her conjecture depends primarily on the veracity of her sources. Regardless, if it's not applicable in any way to this ship disaster, the methods described seem valid to me. And worthy of consideration for the future. As I said before, IMO something is coming. Death by a thousand cuts? Lara Logan Provides Comprehensive Baltimore Update: Experts in Behavioral Analytics, Counter-Terrorism, and National Security Analyze Recent Incident | The Gateway Pundit | by Jim Hᴏft
    • Another big windfall for governments'. The 'winner'? Not so much. Mega Millions $1.13 billion winner is facing mega tax bill. The amount is staggering. - nj.com
    • Looking to buy some non-corrosive 7.62x39. I'm located in Bergen County.  Please let me know if you have some at a decent price.