Rob0115

Boycott Optics Planet

They may as well become democrats.  Optics Planet now has a policy where they will only sell standard capacity magazines, aka 10 rounds only.  Who decided 10 was standard, I always thought 30 is standard, anyway?  I regret every penny I’ve given to them as they are participating in suppressing the rights of gun owners.   I implore you to consider purchasing elsewhere when thinking of using optics planet.  

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Do you have a link to this policy? Did they actually state this to be their new practice?

it's all over ttag. apparently they called to confirm

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/02/robert-farago/optics-planet-stops-sales-high-capacity-magazines/

7 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

I read in several places and searched their site and the ar mags were all 10 rounds. 

yeah i'm not seeing much in the way of handgun mags over 10rds either. what an unforced error on their part. there's absolutely no good that could come from a move like this. they have to be deriving 90% of their sales from the 2A community, so let's piss them all off and get them worked into a frenzy to score political points with a community who likely don't know they exist...

1 minute ago, sota said:

could use a different link or 3, as i'm boycotting ttag for being shit.

fair. here's the meat of it:

Optics Planet email

I just sent them this. 

Your recent policy change on magazines over 10 rounds for sale to the general public is not something I can support as a consumer. For this reason alone I will be boycotting your website and suggesting all those in the 2A community to do so also. I do hope you rethink your sales platform and the design of the business concept you offer. I would think a website offering products dedicated to the 2A community would tailor the products they sell around the 2A community, although at this time I can see you do not have your main clientele in your best interest. That being said, I will make sure to share to the multiple groups I know your message to the 2A community that you no longer support them. Thank you for your time. 

• Like 6

We (many from this forum) touched on this few times. Part of the problem is, not enough of firearm community provides feedback to companies and on social media. 

The scumbags at Bloomtard spend money employing old farts and scamming younger idiots into waging a social media war on these companies. 

As much as many of us hate being on facebook, twitter or communicating feedback to these companies, thats exactly what is warranted. I created a separate facebook account just for this purpose. Let others know that their bull shit propaganda cannot continue. 

• Like 2

I’m going to email them today and let them know, in my view, no real gun owner will buy from them again.  They can scour the forums on their own but I’ll let them know there’s plenty of threads—arfcom has a big one going. 

• Like 1

Optics Planet's official statement:

When there’s smoke, there’s often fire. But sometimes – smoke is just smoke.

We fully understand how the email featured in the article on The Truth About Guns suggests that we may have made a decision to limit the sales of magazines over 10 rounds due to the recent tragedy in Parkland, Florida. Before we go any further, we want to make it clear that our condolences go to the families of all of the victims, and that our hearts go out to a community trying to recover after a senseless event.

At OpticsPlanet, we have never used the inflamed tensions and emotions of current events to drive decision making. Our support of the 2nd amendment is made undeniably clear by the products we offer. We are one of the few online retailers who never stopped offering completely legal products such as bump stocks or binary triggers, when many did. We do not raise prices during frenzies. We do, however, follow the laws and make adjustments when legally required.

In this case, insufficient internal communication led to a misread message. We are not offering magazines with capacities greater than 10 rounds to the general public due to our location in Northbrook, Illinois, and local laws that limit our ability to sell these. Being an internet retailer serving fifty states can be complex at times, and frankly, our location in Illinois only adds to this complexity. We may not always like the law, but we need to follow it.

We own up to the fact that we did not explain this well internally, which led to an unclear message given to the customer, but we can completely repudiate any notion that this is a reaction to any recent event or the political climate. Unfortunately, our loyal customer base is best served by purchasing their magazines from retailers in “free” states. This issue is currently out of our hands. We’re committed to working hard to retain your business for everything else you need.

It’s unfortunate that this issue has created so much confusion, and we apologize for not providing clearer messaging in the first place. We continue to support our passionate customer community as we have for the past eighteen years in every way we can.

• Like 1

I just got one of their promotion emails from their sales department, and I replied to that email with the following:

"Please be aware that as of this moment optics planet, and all subsidiaries, are black listed in my household. Your company has spit in the face of the 2A community by kowtowing to the liberal anti-gun crowd and refusing to sell standard capacity magazines. Please be confident in the fact that I WILL spread the word to all my friends and relatives of this slap in the face and I WILL try my hardest to make sure they black list you as well."

7 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

so wait? their location suddenly became a problem preventing them from selling standard capacity mags as opposed to low capacity?

Yeah I’m calling bullshit 

While it's *possible* they were recently bitch slapped for thinking they were immune to the quoted state/county regulations for sales outside of the area, I'm inclined not to give them the benefit of the doubt on that until/unless they post some official state document that says the same.

We are not offering magazines with capacities greater than 10 rounds to the general public due to our location in Northbrook, Illinois, and local laws that limit our ability to sell these. Being an internet retailer serving fifty states can be complex at times, and frankly, our location in Illinois only adds to this complexity. We may not always like the law, but we need to follow it.

No, you need to move - just like Magpul did, Beretta did, Remington Arms, Kahr Arms, American Tactical Imports, Mossberg, Ruger, Colt, Stag Arms, and PTR Industries.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

No, you need to move - just like Magpul did, Beretta did, Remington Arms, Kahr Arms, American Tactical Imports, Mossberg, Ruger, Colt, Stag Arms, and PTR Industries.

Earth to Henry Repeating Arms and Smith & Wesson

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DirtyDigz said:

Before I jerk my knee here, anyone have evidence that Optics Planet previously sold magazines with >10 rd capacity?

I've purchased standard capacity, 30 round cause that's the standard, from them in the recent past.  I'll have to scan my email but I think I bought new Glock mags from them when I moved to FL to get the 17 rounders that a 34 comes with instead of the ban non-standard 10 round magazines I received it with in NJ.  

@Rob0115 The law in Illinois seems to make it clear that they cannot sell standard cap. mags to anyone other than LEO/military.  

Sec. 54-212. - Assault weapons, and large-capacity magazines; sale prohibited; exceptions.
(a)
It shall be unlawful for any person to manufacture, sell, offer or display for sale, give, lend, transfer ownership of, acquire, carry or possess any assault weapon or large capacity magazine in Cook County. This subsection shall not apply to:
(1)
The sale or transfer to, or possession by any officer, agent, or employee of Cook County or any other municipality or state or of the United States, members of the armed forces of the United States; or the organized militia of this or any other state; or peace officers to the extent that any such person named in this subsection is otherwise authorized to acquire or possess an assault weapon and/or large capacity magazine and does so while acting within the scope of his or her duties;
(2)
Transportation of assault weapons or large capacity magazine if such weapons are broken down and in a nonfunctioning state and are not immediately accessible to any person.
(b)
Any assault weapon or large capacity magazine possessed, carried, sold or transferred in violation of Subsection (a) of this section is hereby declared to be contraband and shall be seized and disposed of in accordance with the provisions of Section 54-213.
(c)
Any person including persons who are a qualified retired law enforcement officer as defined in 18 U.S.C. § 926C who, prior to the effective date of the ordinance codified in this section, was legally in possession of an assault weapon or large capacity magazine prohibited by this division shall have 60 days from the effective date of the ordinance to do any of the following without being subject to prosecution hereunder:
(1)
To legally remove the assault weapon or large capacity magazine from within the limits of the County of Cook; or
(2)
To modify the assault weapon or large capacity magazine either to render it permanently inoperable; or
(3)
To surrender the assault weapon or large capacity magazine to the Sheriff or his designee for disposal as provided below.
(Ord. No. 13-O-32, 7-17-2013.)

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, The_Matrix said:

I did not know Optic planet sold mags.  I thought they sold just "optics". LOL.

First they sold Optics. Then they sold accessories like magazines and handguards and whatnot. And then when it became politically unpopular they stop selling magazines over 10 Rounds. They are no better than ammo suppliers that require a fid for a case of dove loads.