Rob0115

Boycott Optics Planet

13 hours ago, Bully said:

@Rob0115 The law in Illinois seems to make it clear that they cannot sell standard cap. mags to anyone other than LEO/military.  

Sec. 54-212. - Assault weapons, and large-capacity magazines; sale prohibited; exceptions.
(a)
It shall be unlawful for any person to manufacture, sell, offer or display for sale, give, lend, transfer ownership of, acquire, carry or possess any assault weapon or large capacity magazine in Cook County. This subsection shall not apply to:
(1)
The sale or transfer to, or possession by any officer, agent, or employee of Cook County or any other municipality or state or of the United States, members of the armed forces of the United States; or the organized militia of this or any other state; or peace officers to the extent that any such person named in this subsection is otherwise authorized to acquire or possess an assault weapon and/or large capacity magazine and does so while acting within the scope of his or her duties;
(2)
Transportation of assault weapons or large capacity magazine if such weapons are broken down and in a nonfunctioning state and are not immediately accessible to any person.
(b)
Any assault weapon or large capacity magazine possessed, carried, sold or transferred in violation of Subsection (a) of this section is hereby declared to be contraband and shall be seized and disposed of in accordance with the provisions of Section 54-213.
(c)
Any person including persons who are a qualified retired law enforcement officer as defined in 18 U.S.C. § 926C who, prior to the effective date of the ordinance codified in this section, was legally in possession of an assault weapon or large capacity magazine prohibited by this division shall have 60 days from the effective date of the ordinance to do any of the following without being subject to prosecution hereunder:
(1)
To legally remove the assault weapon or large capacity magazine from within the limits of the County of Cook; or
(2)
To modify the assault weapon or large capacity magazine either to render it permanently inoperable; or
(3)
To surrender the assault weapon or large capacity magazine to the Sheriff or his designee for disposal as provided below.
(Ord. No. 13-O-32, 7-17-2013.)

Interestingly this has been the case for a while yet they continued to sell standard, greater than 10, round magazines till this past week.   I’m guessing that they have drop shipping arrangements where they are sent from warehouse to purchaser directly and those warehouses could be outside Illinois.  I think the timing of making this announcement is odd.  I can’t understand why they were doing it in violation of the laws and now, with odd timing, have decided to enforce it.  

10 hours ago, Rob0115 said:

Interestingly this has been the case for a while yet they continued to sell standard, greater than 10, round magazines till this past week.   I’m guessing that they have drop shipping arrangements where they are sent from warehouse to purchaser directly and those warehouses could be outside Illinois.  I think the timing of making this announcement is odd.  I can’t understand why they were doing it in violation of the laws and now, with odd timing, have decided to enforce it.  

Moved a warehouse, or possibly exist near a border and lost the argument with cook county that they are not in fact in cook county. 

7 minutes ago, tattooo said:

All these companies suck in one way or another....just shop around and use the cheapest to save money for more bullets....honestly really who cares what crap they pull

Idk bud.... you have retailers now making law? Store policy I get, but , let’s do business and leave emotions and political grandstanding out. Umk

Idk bud.... you have retailers now making law? Store policy I get, but , let’s do business and leave emotions and political grandstanding out. Umk
I agree, that's why I shopped at midway instead but now the previous post said midway is pulling stunts..... so do we boycott everyone who changes dumb policy or just use them for what they have that is cheaper to save money. Believe me our emails don't mean a dann thing to them.
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, tattooo said:
46 minutes ago, Zeke said:

I agree, that's why I shopped at midway instead but now the previous post said midway is pulling stunts..... so do we boycott everyone who changes dumb policy or just use them for what they have that is cheaper to save money. Believe me our emails don't mean a dann thing to them.

I copy

Unfortunately, businesses that retail certain firearms and firearms accessories are in the spot light in ways that us individuals are not.  The laws allow them to be inspected for compliance way easier than we can be inspected.

For example, NJ law is currently 15 round capacity for mags.  Let's pretend Joe Citizen moved here from a free state with a Glock 17 and 3 factory mags that have a 17 round capacity.  There's a very slim chance that Joe would be found out in this scenario without doing something to draw the attention of Law Enforcement to his guns.    

On the other hand, a retail business has to advertise.  They can't keep in private like Joe Citizen could.  It's much easier for LE to monitor a business for compliance.  To many compliance issues and their licenses and/or permits could be pulled along with fines and possible threats of lawsuits and/or jail time.  On top of that, they have to make good faith efforts to abide by the laws of the states where they sell things as well as the state in which they are located.  Joe Citizen just has to worry about avoiding unwanted attentions from local law, which is rather easy in comparison.

For a long time I've felt that firearms laws, including CCW and drivers licenses should be governed at the federal level, not the state.  My license lets me drive in every state so why should there be 50 different rules from 50 different states.   This is 1 country not 50 different countries, so the firearms rules should be the same everywhere for all people and all businesses.

• Like 1

to be fair, midway's "stunt" isn't as offensive as some other retailers have pulled.  they just no longer will allow the system to reduce shipping charges if you order say a $1.99 shovel that's listed as "free shipping on orders of $25 or more!"  for me the reality is it'll reduce the number of orders I make in a given year, and result in less product purchased, some of which had a definitive impulse buy quotient.  will it result in an impact on their bottom line? I can't say.  maybe they were losing just as much on the shipping cost changes.

Changing shipping fees is not the same as making up laws. Any business is free to charge as little or as much for their product or services, including shipping, as they like, that is capitalism not politics, and that is what we all support I would hope. Midway changing their shipping structure might make me buy a specific item from someone else if the OTD price is cheaper, but it won't make me stop buying from midway. Opticsplanet on the other hand, is playing politics, and that is what has made them deserving of my blacklist. 

Agreed. Like I said the down side is I won't be making as many, if any, semi-impulse type buys from them.

Last year alone I placed a dozen orders for things that were "on sale" or "clearance" that without the addition of a couple dollar (or more) free shipping adder I wouldn't have bought most likely, unless the timing was such that i could make a large enough order to qualify for the $100 free shipping program.  And by "or more" I mean, adding an item that was nearly equal to the cost of shipping without its addition.

in the end, I'll still buy from midway, just won't be as quick to jump on something, and I'll need to be more diligent on prior price tracking.