Indianajonze

Cherry Ridge Range Shotgun Questions

i didn't want to hijack any of the other threads but i still have some questions. hopefully this will benefit others who are just taking their first steps in shotgun ownership as well

here's what i've gathered thus far (correct any errors)"

1. CR has a dedicated shotgun area of the range which is primarily used to shoot clays. there also appears to be two wooden sections to the far left where you can hang paper to shoot, but i see no backing or indication of distance (25 & 35 yds maybe?)

2. to shoot clays you can throw your own or use the 5 stand machines positioned in that section

3. this section requires birdshot only. nothing larger than 71/2 birdshot. no slugs, no buckshot

4. you can shoot slugs on the 50/100yd rifle range section

now for the questions:

1. to shoot paper here, what's required? i didn't see a way to actually hang a target from those wooden stands.

2. for clay shooting, are you able to bring your own thrower contraption? tabletop or floor standing? if you bring your own and they're powered, are there outlets available here? if you want to use the machines at the range, i know from the info you have to go to the clubhouse and obtain the key, but beyond that, what's needed? do you bring your own clays and load them into the machines? are they already pre-loaded? i'd say 90% of the time i'm going to be shooting shotguns i'll be by myself, so i want to make it as cheap and easy as possible :)

3. any special requirements to shoot slugs from a shotgun on the rifle range? very familiar with this section, so i assume you're just hanging your target on your stand and proceeding like any normal rifle shoot. 

1) last time i used the sg range there was a shredded pc of plywood to pattern on, not sure how the paper works now, can always email them, i've had good responses from them.

2) I last did 5 stand 3-4 yrs ago and their throwers were pre-loaded and they can keep track of your usage. From their webpage:  Shotgun Range: This range is informal. Members attach their own traps to a wide rail provided and throw their own clay birds or can rent throwers for $20 at the range store. There is also a five-stand for use by members and guest at a charge per bird of $.30 This range is used for basic shotgun training and safety course.

3) as you said, hang paper, shoot paper.

I was at the SG range just a couple of months ago, and siderman's advice is accurate.  

1. I have hung pieces of cardboard from the wood frame, and they kind of stay up, but tend to fall down after a few shots.  

2. You can bring your own throwers, and I believe there are electrical outlets for them.  Their 5-stand machines are pre-loaded, and the fee is .30 per round, minus 10% at the end for missed or broken clays.  You can set a delay if you are shooting alone.

3. Yes, you can shoot slugs on the rifle range, but they are tough on your target backing.