Sign in to follow this  
xXxplosive

Supreme Court and California Gun Control

The best thing that could happen for the 2A is for a couple more left or centrist SCOTUS Justices to get replaced with new Supremes who  respect ALL the amendments. The current SCOTUS make-up leaves it mired in cowardice. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

It's not looking good for those who are looking for the courts to save us from an onslaught of new anti-gun laws.  

Although I agree with Ms. Peel, I would hope they could be held as separate issues. They’re going after pistol permit process and disparaging treatment under the 14th. The latest seem to be interested in mainly ARs and back grounds. Fingers crossed though. 

Just came on here to post the article i saw about this. What a damn shame. Leaves me worried given we're going after something a bit more out there than "we just want to get rid of 10 day waits if we already have guns", which sounds ridiculous to me given that if they wanted to do harm to someone or themselves they would just use their guns.

11 minutes ago, SJG said:

The die is cast. Ths U. S. Supremes don't want and are not going to hear more gun cases, leaving the issue to Congress and the States

It won't as it exists. That's been clear for a while. The only appointment was to replace a pro 2a guy with what is likely a pro 2a guy. Until you replace someone who is anti or a waffler, you won't change the behavior of the court.

That behavior will be detrimental to everyone on many issues, because it weakens the position of the court and sets precedent to disregard other amendments. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SJG said:

The die is cast. Ths U. S. Supremes don't want and are not going to hear more gun cases

Maybe this court won’t, but it will be a different court soon.  Ginsburg is, what, 135 years old? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 10X said:

Maybe this court won’t, but it will be a different court soon.  Ginsburg is, what, 135 years old? 

Yeah, keep in mind Trump may have just one termed himself with his announcement on bump stocks. 

15 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

Yeah, keep in mind Trump may have just one termed himself with his announcement on bump stocks. 

DOUBTFUL. while we few realize the absurdity of the whole bumpstock thing.....nearly everyone i talk to on either side of the isle is in favor of banning them. even when i explain what exactly they are/do, they stay in favor. if he doesn't go batchit crazy anti on us, he'll still manage 2 terms. we need to hope and pray he does make 2 terms.

2 minutes ago, SJG said:

Trump thinks he can do a lot of things. Unfortunately, that doesn't make it so. The odds are against a change in the total composition of the court. Dream on--

Though I do agree, it needn't be a sweeping change - 1-2 additional key replacements could make a substantial change to the tone of the court, to their willingness to take on 2A cases, and to the way those cases would then be decided. Four might be a pipe dream, but 1 or 2 more... considering their ages? Not so impossible. Dare to dream! ;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 10X said:

Yeah, remember the saying, "Only the good die young".  Written for a reason.  Something like "A watched pot never boils".

10 hours ago, Old Glock guy said:

It's not looking good for those who are looking for the courts to save us from an onslaught of new anti-gun laws.  

No No! You see, Murphy is gonna go TOO far! And then the courts are gonna shut him down! Because he's a stupid liberal! Just you wait and see. You have to understand the 4-D chess that goes into it! [insert toothless advocacy group here] needs our donations because they're going to snare Murphy in this legal trap!

(The above was sarcasm)

• Like 1

Recent article with Thomas....

If something doesn’t change soon, the USSC will never help. Trump maybe our only hope.

http://therightscoop.com/wow-clarence-thomas-scolds-fellow-supreme-court-justices-after-refusing-to-hear-gun-rights-cases/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCOTUS only needs 4 justices to take a case and 5 to win. It is possible they have the 4 but not the 5th so they aren't going to take a case and possibly lose. Assuming the 4 left justices are no votes the question is which of the 5 is the problem. I would like to believe it is Kennedy who is ready to retire and might at the end of this term. What scares me is that it is Roberts who will be on the court for some time. I doubt any of the 4 will retire with Trump as President so we will wait and see next term.

Until then, as Thomas said, our rights get trampled on, particularly in NJ.

btw: I believe Trump has only appointed one judge on our 3rd circuit court of appeals: Stephanos Bibas. I don't think he has any previous rulings on 2A.

Some things are fun (or not) to discuss but in reality just wont happen. Kim being elected gov was one of those.....and another is this one, a lefty supreme retiring on Trumps watch. Only the Grim Reaper can affect the balance of the court in the next few yrs. Even if one supreme (Ginsberg?) gets too mentally or physically compromised the process for deciding on when/how to remove a judge is sure to create a bit of cival unrest. I can see a judge ruling from a speciallized wheelchair a la Stephen Hawking before giving up or declared un-fit the way things are going these days...

1 hour ago, NJGF said:

SCOTUS only needs 4 justices to take a case and 5 to win. It is possible they have the 4 but not the 5th so they aren't going to take a case and possibly lose. Assuming the 4 left justices are no votes the question is which of the 5 is the problem. I would like to believe it is Kennedy who is ready to retire and might at the end of this term. What scares me is that it is Roberts who will be on the court for some time. I doubt any of the 4 will retire with Trump as President so we will wait and see next term.

Until then, as Thomas said, our rights get trampled on, particularly in NJ.

btw: I believe Trump has only appointed one judge on our 3rd circuit court of appeals: Stephanos Bibas. I don't think he has any previous rulings on 2A.

Yeah, Roberts is kinda flaky.  We have to be careful with him.

I know that "Notorious RBG" says she won't retire, but I don't know if she can hang on that long.  We'll have to see.  But yes, the "youngin's" (Sotomayor, Kagan, etc.) won't retire any time soon... :(

Yeah, Roberts is kinda flaky.  We have to be careful with him.
I know that "Notorious RBG" says she won't retire, but I don't know if she can hang on that long.  We'll have to see.  But yes, the "youngin's" (Sotomayor, Kagan, etc.) won't retire any time soon... [emoji20]

Kennedy is retiring. He is the flip flopper. They got to Roberts on Obamacare decision. Roberts wrote both the majority and dissenting opinions, because he changed his vote so late. If Trump isn't part of the same Cabal, which each day I am thinking more and more he is, they won't get to Roberts again. Plus his children are older now. If Satan wants Ginsburg she won't have a choice in retirement. Breyer won't retire but he isn't exactly a spring chicken. I think the court has 4 votes to take a 2A case, but until Kennedy is replaced Roberts worries about having the 5 votes to win the case.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Honestly, I'd like to see kennedy go and be replaced with someone who gets high marks form the NRA AND the ACLU. Someone who is jsut a fan of freedom of the individual to not be dicked around by the system. 

• Like 2