GramGun79

Trump on board with raising age to own

Saw a bit of Fox this morning Trump has announced plans to support raising the legal age to own a firearm. My guess is shot guns and rim fire would stay as is. Center fire rifles will probably be 21 to purchase. 

give an inch they will take a mile. Bumps stocks and now this. Lets see if NRA gets behind this one.

20 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

he's slowly turning. as i was afraid he would.

Incorrect.  He is loyal, to a fault.  He will never give up something without getting something in return.  The art of the deal. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ray Ray said:

Incorrect.  He is loyal, to a fault.  He will never give up something without getting something in return.  The art of the deal. 

My thought -- if he gives on bump stocks (plenty of other ways to waste ammo, just search through YouTube!) and pistol grip long guns prior to age 21, what will they give on?

State CCW reciprocity? And if they won't give, who's being unreasonable and inflexible?

Trump isn't an ideologue.

3 hours ago, Bob2222 said:

Trump isn't an ideologue.

He is not, but he is loyal.  He knows, Veterans and gun owners AND law enforcement supported him heavily.  He will not lose something and gain nothing.  

Again

The art of the deal.

If liberals think that you are not responsible enough to own a gun, drink, or buy cigarettes until you are 21 then I would think that you are not responsible enough to be serve in the military, be drafted, or more importantly vote. These laws need to be changed as well. If they think that at 18 you are responsible enough to vote for a person that has the power to change the world then I would think that you should be responsible enough to have a beer or do a little target shooting or hunting with your own gun.

• Like 3

What other constitutional right is restricted to those over 21?  Voting?  Right to assemble?  Abortion? Speaking freely?  Imagine if someone tried to limit the speech of the kids holding rallies from the Florida High School because they weren't 21 yet.

I say no way.   The NRA came out and supported a bump stock ban before it was even being proposed so I suspect they'll jump at the opportunity to support this.

6 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

The deal would be to raise purchase age in return for repeal of 1990s Gun Free Zone law. Combine that with call for death penalty for perp of school shootings. Ban prescription pain killers and drug over prescription. 

That would be a genuine deal. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gfl216 said:

If liberals think that you are not responsible enough to own a gun, drink, or buy cigarettes until you are 21 then I would think that you are not responsible enough to be serve in the military, be drafted, or more importantly vote. These laws need to be changed as well. If they think that at 18 you are responsible enough to vote for a person that has the power to change the world then I would think that you should be responsible enough to have a beer or do a little target shooting or hunting with your own gun.

This! 

Ditto, gfl216 I agree.  This convoluted BS about what you can do at what age was a big CF.  You could get married, enter into a binding contract, serve your country, vote. but your to stupid to know about drinking, smoking, handguns.  Back to 21 for everything and I would even go for 2 years mandatory military service from everyone male or female.  Oh, and your what the good Lord made you, not how you feel today.  

• Like 2

"The eight-year assault on your Second Amendment freedoms has come to a crashing end,” Trump told the members of the National Rifle Association, assuring them that they now "have a true friend and champion in the White House."

"I will never, ever infringe on the right of the people to keep and bear arms," Trump said. "Never ever." - Donald J Trump, April 28, 2017

• Like 2

On February 21, 2018 at 3:23 PM, Ray Ray said:

He is not, but he is loyal.  He knows, Veterans and gun owners AND law enforcement supported him heavily.  He will not lose something and gain nothing.  

Again

The art of the deal.

What is he (us) getting  in return?

On February 21, 2018 at 9:15 AM, GramGun79 said:

Saw a bit of Fox this morning Trump has announced plans to support raising the legal age to own a firearm. My guess is shot guns and rim fire would stay as is. Center fire rifles will probably be 21 to purchase. 

give an inch they will take a mile. Bumps stocks and now this. Lets see if NRA gets behind this one.

And I made that point several times that fell on def years. And you had people here that supported the banning of bump stocks.

You reap what you sow.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, capt14k said:

Pence for President in 2020

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i like pence, but sometimes he reminds me he has that rino streak in him. for me it's ted cruz or rand paul all the way. basically the last two standing when it comes to defending the constitution

pretty hardcore trump supporter, but his two ironclad promises are dissipating before my eyes: defend the 2nd amendment and build the wall. he keeps talking about building the wall, but the wall is not built, 1 year in. 3 to go. if things turn south on him come 2020 it means he has 2 good years to get it done. impossible at this point. 

meanwhile, he has a chance to do something obama NEVER did in 8 years of his presidency: pass gun control legislation. seriously, it would have been better to have had clinton if this is the case. the gop would have opposed her (#resist) tooth and nail and she'd never ahve gotten a damn thing passed. as it is now, these rinos are lining up to seize guns. to support the president, of course...

and he keeps talking about the nra for some reason. why? they have NOTHING to do with any of this, and you're only throwing meat to the hungry leftists. sometimes i think the guy's kind of an idiot. why go to such lengths to infuriate your only true source of unwavering support? there isn't a single loony dem in this country who would reverse position and vote for trump because he raised the age to buy a gun to 21. not one. i can tell you there are millions of nra members who won't vote for him however...

beginning to come around to crazy maxine waters way of thinking. #IMPEACH45. watch the following, closing your eyes and making believe she's rallying fellow 2A supporters at the annual nra convention:

On Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 3:26 PM, gfl216 said:

It's even crazier than that. Take Florida as example. They want to push the age to purchase a rifle to 21 because of responsibility, but they have no problem turning a 16 year old kid loose by himself in a 3000 - 4000 lb. vehicle on the street.

Since vehicle deaths have risen over 40,000 a year (many from texting and driving), we should ban Smartphones until the age of 21 too!

It's for the children.

Under the Gun Control Act (GCA) [of 1968], shotguns and rifles, and ammunition for shotguns or rifles may be sold only to individuals 18 years of age or older. All firearms other than shotguns and rifles, and all ammunition other than ammunition for shotguns or rifles may be sold only to individuals 21 years of age or older.

I learned something today -- I didn't know the GCA of 1968 applied to handgun ammo!

21 has been the minimum age for handgun purchases (from a FFL) since 1968.

The military draft age was 21 in WW1 and 21 prior to WW2 until it was reduced to 18 after Pearl Harbor. The draft age was 18 during the Vietnam war. However, the voting age remained 21, leading to the 26th Amendment that lowered the voting age to 18.

The 18 to 21 age group has always been a gray zone for rights and privileges, and not consistent among states

Trump doesn't sound like he's on board for raising the long gun purchase age now. He does still seem fixated on "bump stocks". I don't think he understands how they work, and he probably doesn't have any people close to him who understand how they work. (Not enough rednecks in the Trump White House!)

It's possible to do the same thing with a rubber band. (And probably get thrown off the range by the safety officer.) See YouTube for demonstrations.