124gr9mm

Buy .22 pistol or get a .22 conversion slide??

I don't currently own a .22 pistol, but a couple of kids (already rifle shooters) are interested in shooting pistols, so I want to pick up something that they can start with without worrying about recoil, and I think it would help my pistol technique  as well (and maybe get me started in some friendly Bullseye shooting at the range).

With that in mind I was considering getting a .22 conversion slide for either my EAA Witness (full sized stainless) or my Glock G17.  The logic there is that I don't need a purchase permit, and the transition back to the standard calibers (.45 and 9mm) would be more familiar on the same frame.  Cost on the conversion kit would be about $200 - $250 for the witness and $300+/- for the Glock.

However after looking around online it looks like there are some good .22 pistols that I can get for the same price as the conversions slide, so it would be easier to just get one of those and be able to have someone shoot the .22 while someone else is shooting the others.

Anyone have experience with both??

Ultimately it's a win-win as either option achieves the goal, so I won't be offended with differing views (though I'm currently leaning towards a dedicated pistol chambered in .22)

Thanks!

24 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

I have an AA kit for a Gen 3 Glock 17/22 size frame. It’s been great. Shoots any 40gr ammo I feed it.

Thanks for sharing.  Based on internet postings the AA kit was my top choice so it's good to hear someone validate that it functions well.

I don't know what a conversion kit costs (I never priced one) but I just picked up a Rugger SR22 with 4.5" barrel from Grab-A-Gun for $299.+ $8 shipping. It has shot everything I put in it from crappy thunderbolt to Mini mags. Love this little gun!

I have the .22 conversion for my sig p226.  As others have said it was a bit finicky on Ammo at first but after about 500 rounds she’s broken in nicely.

right now I shoot mostly mini mags but have put golden bullets. Federal and Winchester .22 with very little issues

Besides my 22LR pistols (Ruger Mark II and III) I have conversions units for 1911 (Sig GSG) and G21 (AA).  All work great.  With a little TLC can make all reliable feeders and shooters.   If you want a pistol look for a used Ruger Mark II.  Easy to upgrade and maintain.  

7 hours ago, gfl216 said:

I don't know what a conversion kit costs (I never priced one) but I just picked up a Rugger SR22 with 4.5" barrel from Grab-A-Gun for $299.+ $8 shipping. It has shot everything I put in it from crappy thunderbolt to Mini mags. Love this little gun!

41 minutes ago, tattooo said:

I personally am not a fan of .22 conversions. A SR22 or Ruger mark series does the trick to plink or teach a new shooter.

Last outing with new shooter sr 22 not happy with food. Ask @Displaced Texan.

ftf. I guess short stroking. Idk. 

• Like 1

what ammo.  only stuff I ever hated in the SR22 was golden bullets.  dirty shitty ammo.

as for conversions, my biggest concern would be, you're taking apart and putting together a gun a lot to convert it, if you're doing it frequently.  That's just a recipe in my book for breaking something.  and if you're NOT swapping it frequently, why didn't you just buy dedicated firearms in each caliber?

28 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Last outing with new shooter sr 22 not happy with food. Ask @Displaced Texan.

ftf. I guess short stroking. Idk. 

I have never had an issue with mine but then I bought it used! Has he given it a chance to break in?

8 hours ago, sota said:

as for conversions, my biggest concern would be, you're taking apart and putting together a gun a lot to convert it, if you're doing it frequently.  That's just a recipe in my book for breaking something.  and if you're NOT swapping it frequently, why didn't you just buy dedicated firearms in each caliber?

Oh stop.....

If it can stand up to going pew pew pew, it can handle me taking a slide on and off. If you think about it - it is no different than cleaning the gun. The .40/9mm slide comes off, .22 slide goes on. When I am done, .22 slide comes off and .40/9mm slide goes back on. 

Also, Glock doesn’t make a .22 version of its pistols.

With the conversion I can use my holsters, and all my other gear designed to carry my Glocks and their mags.That is added bonus. Throw my SW AR15-22 in the mix and I have a complete .22 training set up that mimics my carry gear.

I am thinking of buying a stripped OEM Glock frame and putting the .22 conversion on full time, but it’s a want - not a need.

• Like 1

I’ve heard good things about AA kits. Don’t think they offer the 30 kit anymore, so no interest on my end passed that.

I used to be big with .22 kits. My Beretta 92 Brigadier Inox used to have a Ciener kit (also have a 96G Centurion slide to convert to .40), which was pretty accurate. Only problem was I didn’t like losing the safety/decocker. After I got rid of that (Ciener kit sold for what I paid for it, and quickly), I looked at a few different conversions... but the closest one I got to was for the SIG P228. There is a guy making 3D printed magazine that work with the slide lock, so I was very interested. For me, I want a conversion to work pretty damn close to the regular firearm... preferably identically. But I heard a lot of issues about the conversion kit and reliability. I really don’t want a kit strictly just to practice malfunctions.

The best .22 kit that I have found is the CZ Kadet kit. Accurate, and extremely reliable. I was a little turned off when I bought my SP-01, and find out the price, but most people raved about them. Had Tom at HGW fit it to my gun, and he told me to run it by him if I ever decide to sell it. Said he was extremely impressed with it. Never saw a review that said anything different from that.

In regards to the original question... kit or .22 gun? I’d say it depends on what you want it for. For light use, a conversion does keep you from going for a permit. But the problem I had with my Beretta (other than the lack of a decocker) was that if someone is shooting my frame with the .22 slide... I can’t shoot my 9mm slide/frame. That is something you’d really have to see if it would bother you.

If you were using it as a low cost trainer, I’d worry about reliability (no idea on the EAA, shouldn’t be a problem with an AA kit). A dedicated .22 will tend to be more reliable than a conversion... but then you lose out on training with the platform. And from what I’ve heard, stay away from the SIG .22s that copy their classic line. Reliability is similar to their kits, but have heard some horror stories. Ruger (not just the MK line, but the SR-22) and Walther do make some nice .22s.

For your situation, I’d actually recommend a Ruger MKIII or MKIV (latter is easier to disassemble/reassemble). They are pretty cheap, but you are getting a pistol that will last your life, as well as the life of your kids. Even the other .22s from Ruger and Walther are still pretty cheap, and not a bad option.

6 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Oh stop.....

If it can stand up to going pew pew pew, it can handle me taking a slide on and off. If you think about it - it is no different than cleaning the gun. The .40/9mm slide comes off, .22 slide goes on. When I am done, .22 slide comes off and .40/9mm slide goes back on. 

Also, Glock doesn’t make a .22 version of its pistols.

With the conversion I can use my holsters, and all my other gear designed to carry my Glocks and their mags.That is added bonus. Throw my SW AR15-22 in the mix and I have a complete .22 training set up that mimics my carry gear.

I am thinking of buying a stripped slide and putting the .22 conversion on full time, but it’s a want - not a need.

I think you meant to say a stripped lower and put a 22lr conversion kit on it. Am I correct?

I have a Glock G22 complete lower available for sale if you're interested.

OS

• Like 1

HE: i'm not referring to the firearm dealing with the mechanics, I'm referring to the human doing the swapping and fucking something up.  I've long applied the philosophy: if it ain't broke, DON'T TOUCH IT!  I'm more likely to break a thing than the thing is to break on its own.

The .22 conversion for my sig p226 takes 14.85 seconds to switch from a last fired 9mm to first fired 22. Sorry you just gave me a reason to time it, I cant speak for other conversions but on the p226 if you find a way to damage it, you probably shouldn't be handling firearms.  There really is nothing to damage.

I also have a buckmark.  At the range I always bring both pistols and the conversion.  By no means is does shooting the converted .22 replace practice with the 9mm.  I just like the options the kits give you.  Some pistols frames offer more than 1 caliber switch.  Just look into what the extra magazines are going to cost.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sota said:

HE: i'm not referring to the firearm dealing with the mechanics, I'm referring to the human doing the swapping and fucking something up.  I've long applied the philosophy: if it ain't broke, DON'T TOUCH IT!  I'm more likely to break a thing than the thing is to break on its own.

Again, converting it is no different in manipulations than cleaning the gun. If your going to clean it without messing it up, you can swap the slides.

26 minutes ago, zebra007 said:

The .22 conversion for my sig p226 takes 14.85 seconds to switch from a last fired 9mm to first fired 22. Sorry you just gave me a reason to time it, I cant speak for other conversions but on the p226 if you find a way to damage it, you probably shouldn't be handling firearms.  There really is nothing to damage.

I also have a buckmark.  At the range I always bring both pistols and the conversion.  By no means is does shooting the converted .22 replace practice with the 9mm.  I just like the options the kits give you.  Some pistols frames offer more than 1 caliber switch.  Just look into what the extra magazines are going to cost.

I could do it in 10.37

Just to toss up the feedback:

I have a Beretta factory 22 conversion kit on my Beretta 92FS that eats any ammo. I also have a Sig Sauer Mosquito Sport that is ammo sensitive and has a worse trigger than my Ryobi power drill. None of them compare to the way my Beretta 87Target effortlessly puts rounds on paper.

My humble advice? Get whatever functions reliably with low quality ammo. 

14 hours ago, weekend_junkie said:

Just to toss up the feedback:

I have a Beretta factory 22 conversion kit on my Beretta 92FS that eats any ammo. I also have a Sig Sauer Mosquito Sport that is ammo sensitive and has a worse trigger than my Ryobi power drill. None of them compare to the way my Beretta 87Target effortlessly puts rounds on paper.

My humble advice? Get whatever functions reliably with low quality ammo. 

This!