AVB-AMG

I Appreciate Assault Weapons. And I Support a Ban

I applaud FL Republican Congressman (18th District) and former U.S. Army bomb technician Brian Mast for his very brave, intelligent and timely op-ed piece in The New York Times today, (Feb. 23, 2018).  It is titled:
I Appreciate Assault Weapons.  And I Support a Ban. 

Rep. Mast provides his reasonable analysis followed by sharing his experiences, then opinion and good faith recommendations regarding the AR-15 rifle.  Rep. Mast has more credibility than some of his fellow Congressmen due to his former military service in the U.S. Army and actual combat experience.  I find it refreshing to hear a Republican legislator offering more than his “heartfelt condolences, as well as thoughts and prayers to the victims’ families…”.  He is making some very reasonable and sensible recommendations that I believe is a very good starting point for further discussion and consideration by his Congressional colleagues, in an effort to possibly reach a bi-partisan agreement for legislation.   I hope he is able to influence additional Republican members of the House to join him in his efforts to actually introduce legislation that will reach the floor to be voted on.

Most importantly he states that he would not support any version of a ban that results in confiscating existing legally owned firearms.  But I do think that since he is proposing a ban on the FUTURE sale of all AR-15 rifles, that in order to be effective, the federal government would most likely need to also institute some form of a purchase program for those who want to rid themselves of those rifles if they no longer want to own them and possibly purchase some other firearm. Those of us who want to keep what we have would do so.

Realistically, I am convinced and believe that most attempts at gun control will always be subject to our limitations as humans who make mistakes, including human error; lack of or incorrect information entry into databases; paralyzing fear (security guard), lack of appropriate action or follow up (FBI), etc.  But unless we try to do something different now, then the regular occurrences of these mass shootings will most likely continue unabated. I think that Rep. Mast’s recommendations, if ultimately result in passed legislation, enacted and enforced, would save many lives and those of us gun owner’s 2nd Amendment rights would be respected and preserved.  Then again, I could be wrong and want to hear more opinions before I make up my mind.

I have done a "cut and paste" of the article below.  Please read it and share your thoughts.  Thank you.

AVB-AMG

I Appreciate Assault Weapons.  And I Support a Ban
by Brian Mast
Feb. 23, 2018

Here is the link to that op-ed piece in The New York Times, followed by the op-ed's text in its entirety for Mrs. Peel…

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/23/opinion/brian-mast-assault-weapons-ban.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=opinion-c-col-left-region&region=opinion-c-col-left-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-left-region

The most important and unregrettable time of my life was the 12 years I spent in the Army. I became a bomb technician because I wanted to save lives. I nearly gave my own life for that — I lost both my legs and a finger when a roadside bomb detonated beneath me — and have known more heroes than I can count who died defending others.

When I was with others on the battlefield and we saw a chance to save a life, we didn’t have a meeting about it; we acted immediately. I never worried about becoming a casualty myself.

Now, as a Republican congressman from Florida, I don’t fear becoming a political casualty, either. If we act now by changing laws surrounding firearms and mental illness, we too can save lives.

Most nights in Afghanistan, I wielded an M4 carbine and a .40-caliber pistol. The total barrel length of my M4 was approximately 14 inches with Trijicon ACOG sights, as well as an infrared laser. I usually carried 10 magazines stacked with 20 rounds of 5.56-millimeter ammunition each.

My rifle was very similar to the AR-15-style semiautomatic weapon used to kill students, teachers and a coach I knew at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., where I once lived.

I have fired tens of thousands of rounds through that rifle, many in combat. We used it because it was the most lethal — the best for killing our enemies. And I know that my community, our schools and public gathering places are not made safer by any person having access to the best killing tool the Army could put in my hands. I cannot support the primary weapon I used to defend our people being used to kill children I swore to defend.

The truth is, most gun owners are responsible sportsmen and collectors who enjoy shooting recreationally, like me, or want to protect their home in the way they see fit. I am a longtime member of the National Rifle Association. My grandfather bought me my first NRA membership when I was young, and I have the same pride he and many Americans feel at being responsible gun owners, becoming excellent marksmen and joining in the camaraderie of hunting.

We are Americans and we like to be the best; we should never lose this trait. The AR-15 is an excellent platform for recreational shooters to learn to be outstanding marksmen. Unfortunately, it is also an excellent platform for those who wish to kill the innocent.

I conceal and carry a 9-millimeter pistol most days because I know the threats, and I don’t want to die because I am unprepared to return fire.

I also know that I am made less safe by the threat of tactical rifles. I am confident I can eliminate an active shooter who is attacking with a pistol because the attacker would have to be close to me. But the defense my concealed 9-millimeter affords me is largely gone if the attacker is firing from beyond 40 yards, as he could easily do with the AR-15.

No firearm is evil. Guns are tools that fulfill the intent of their users, good or bad. But we’ve seen that the rifle of choice for many mass shooters is the AR-15.

The Second Amendment is unimpeachable. It guarantees the right of citizens to defend themselves. I accept, however, that it does not guarantee that every civilian can bear any and all arms.

For example, the purchase of fully automatic firearms is largely banned already, and I cannot purchase an AT-4 rocket, grenades, a Bradley fighting vehicle or an Abrams tank. I know that no single action can prevent a truly determined person from committing mass murder, and I am aware of other ways to commit mass murder, such as bombings and mass vehicular slaughter. Not being able to control everything, however, should not prevent us from doing something.

Therefore, I support the following:

Defining what constitutes an assault or tactical firearm and not allowing them for future purchase — just as we already prohibit the purchase of fully automatic firearms. The exact definition of assault weapon will need to be determined. But we should all be able to agree that the civilian version of the very deadly weapon that the Army issued to me should certainly qualify. I would not support any version of a ban that results in confiscating existing legally owned firearms.

Ensuring that every firearm purchaser has a background check. We also need to improve the background check system.

Banning the sale of accessories and add-ons that circumvent the ban on automatic firearms, and increasing the ages at which individuals can purchase various categories of firearms.

Ensuring that those who have been detained for mental illness, or have been ordered by courts to receive treatment for mental illness, cannot purchase firearms.

Ensuring that someone who is being looked at as a possible terrorist, through a system of due process, cannot purchase a firearm and that any person threatening to shoot or blow up a school, in word or on social media, is placed on an F.B.I. watch list for a long time.

Providing behavior detection training to anyone seeking a Federal Firearms License.

Making substantial resources available to schools, at their discretion, for security measures, including the opportunity to purchase enhanced security screening, install classroom panic buttons wired directly to law enforcement and hire additional school resource officers.

Holding the F.B.I. and state agencies accountable for their failures to identify a threat like Nikolas Cruz, as well as ensuring that schools enforce basic security protocols to prevent access by unauthorized personnel.

And finally, conducting further research into the nexus of gun violence, violence in mass media and mental illness.

The president, House of Representatives, Senate, every state legislature, sheriffs, police officers, school boards, students and parents must unite with one mission: that no one will ever be murdered in school again.

Here is my response -

Brian Mast - " I cannot support the primary weapon I used to defend our people being used to kill children I swore to defend."

We do not OWN your primary weapon you stupid ass - WTF are you that dumb????

Lastly you and your cronies wnat em - COME AND TAKE IT BITCH !

Effing assholes -

And AVB-AMG just really - stop - stop with it all - you are no friend of the 2A at all or the right to keep and bear arms.  So stop with the show that you are.

• Like 6

Another FL politician walking the thin line to keep his job.  Has no morals, scruples, or backbone, catering to, the for the moment, a group of people believing whatever the mass media tells (lies to) them.  This is not new technology people, semi-auto firearms are over 100 years old.  Only now is it a problem, I think not.  This will not stop at the "evil black rifle".  Just the beginning.  I could mention one other firearm right now most of us possess and it would have done more damage than any AR-15.  Tell me what will they do when evil person armed with non SA weapons decides to repeat this horrible act using NY reloads.  More laws that's about it.  For the record, exactly what their beloved Australia did when it happened. This was a failure of three branches of government, not the use of a gun that has 100  year old technology.  We will all suffer when the only line of first defense is a PD that is minutes away from a problem that ends in seconds.  

See what Ben Franklin had to save about giving up freedom for safety.  You are neither free or safe.  

To the OP, you might as well give up what you own now.  You have failed at Freedom 101 and have already determined  your destiny is at the hands of the government.   You fit right into Murphy's description of NJ, it has residents, not citizens. And if you want to know what they think about you I might suggest listening to George Carlin, the modern Will Rodgers.

• Like 3

It guarantees the right of citizens to defend themselves

This Congressman does not understand the Constitution and the Second Amendment he has sworn to uphold.

I do not think he knows from what the Second Amendment protects us.  It is the Government.  The 2A is supposed to allow for an armed citizenry to keep the state (these United States) free from tyranny.  The point is for the citizenry to have the weapons he carried on the battlefield.

We as citizens have given up that full right and beczme complacent in it.

Some of his suggestions are good, some already exist, and others show his complete lack of knowledge of the Constitution, the Federalist Papers and our founders' intents.

• Like 2

GunsnFreedom:

Do your really believe that all of us gun owners in the United States have a realistic chance to use those guns to be the "armed citizenry to keep the state, these United States, free from tyranny..."?  Really...???  Not a chance.  If we were to forcefully rebel using our guns, we would be crushed, killed or imprisoned by LEO, National Guard and the Military.  Time for you and anyone else who believes that to come back to reality.

AVB-AMG

1 minute ago, AVB-AMG said:

GunsnFreedom:

Do your really believe that all of us gun owners in the United States have a realistic chance to use those guns to be the "armed citizenry to keep the state, these United States, free from tyranny..."?  Really...???  Not a chance.  If we were to forcefully rebel using our guns, we would be crushed, killed or imprisoned by LEO, National Guard and the Military.  Time for you and anyone else who believes that to come back to reality.

AVB-AMG

Are Leo, National guard, military... not American citizens also?

hmmn, read up on history bud, and current events.

• Like 7

and yet we lost an f117 to people with nearly no technology. just a couple cell phones and a missile.

numbers wins every time.

no one wants to ever see what you guys are talking about happen....but the fact is that gunsnfreedom is correct.

17 minutes ago, T Bill said:

To the OP, you might as well give up what you own now.  You have failed at Freedom 101 and have already determined  your destiny is at the hands of the government.   And if you want to know what they think about you I might suggest listening to George Carlin, the modern Will Rodgers.

T Bill:

I have no intention of giving up what I already own and do not think I will ever have to do so. 

Unlike you and some others here on NJGF, I do not believe it is an "all or nothing" situation.  I do believe that we can collectively come up with an acceptable compromise that would address this problem, potentially reducing the risk of future similar mass shootings, while still allowing gun owners to keep and enjoy their guns.

Also, I appreciate and agree with almost all of George Carlin's stand-up "The American Dream" routine.  It is funny, but more importantly it is true.  Regardless of where your political preferences are, both parties and their Senators / Congressmen are controlled by and beholden to the wealthy, special interests of major donors, corporations and industries. 

AVB-AMG

4 minutes ago, AVB-AMG said:

GunsnFreedom:

AVB-AMG

Most all recent government takeovers were started by the military.  Most LEOs have proven they just wanna go home ask NOLA how that went for them during Hurricane Katrina.  And the National Guard is us!

41 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

This must be an Assault Civic

ya75quoqxth01.jpg

the wings, exhaust tips, and rims all make it faster and violate the 1-feature limit

That vehicle is an "assault' to my auto design sensibilities.....!
Who would really want to be seen driving or riding in that automotive abortion?
I does sort of look like a Japanese walk-behind / push lawn mower and it is in the right location for that purpose... Hmmmm.

AVB-AMG

23 minutes ago, AVB-AMG said:

GunsnFreedom:

AVB-AMG

Yes. If you are on the right side of the conflict. You sound like you given up on freedom. Think about the Bundy standoff. Does that happen if everyone is unarmed? This is not a sure thing. We are no where close to this in our times. Think about a ragtag group of rebellious colonists that stood up to the most powerful army the world had ever seen.

The first step of every dictator is to disarm the populace one step at a time. The 2a was not put into our Bill of Rights just for fun. This is part of our heritage. Diane Feinstein told us their end game and it doesn't include the word compromise. It is up to us to allow it to happen.

My reality doesn't include having some elite in the government telling me what to say, what to print, what God to pray to, or what gun to own. It doesn't allow the government to search me because if I was not guilty of anything I would have not problem being searched. 

• Like 1

“And I know that my community, our schools and public gathering places are not made safer by any person having access to the best killing tool the Army could put in my hands. I cannot support the primary weapon I used to defend our people being used to kill children I swore to defend.”

With all due respect to the injured Vet, he is a fool if he actually believes that. None of his argument is valid or rational.

So he says no one should be able to buy a semi auto .223..... But a pump 12 ga. With and extended tube loaded with slugs...is A Ok???   ....in his fantasy world....

........ain’t no harm hitting someone with some silly ole 12 ga. rifled slugs.... nope... barely get through a Carhardt jacket.... 

1 hour ago, AVB-AMG said:

GunsnFreedom:

AVB-AMG

I think that we the people have a pretty odds.

https://www.ammoland.com/2015/08/largest-standing-army-in-the-world/#axzz57yacCDcp

• Like 1

GunsnFreedom:

AVB-AMG

I’m not sure if you understand just how much a huge portion of the millions of armed citizens value our freedom and way of life and what they would do to actually defend and protect the Constitution of the United States.  

It would be a collosal mess. But I wouldn’t want to be on the tyrants side. It would not go well for them.

• Like 1

GunsnFreedom:

AVB-AMG

Yeah, small arms are completely useless against the US military.

Remember 2001 when we rolled into Afghanistan, shock and awe, and won it in just a couple months?

I mean, a bunch of guys with old Soviet surplus small arms couldn't possibly hold out against the US armed forces in a 17+ year conflict...

1 minute ago, mossburger said:

Yeah, small arms are completely useless against the US military.

Remember 2001 when we rolled into Afghanistan, shock and awe, and won it in just a couple months?

I mean, a bunch of guys with old Soviet surplus small arms couldn't possibly hold out against the US armed forces in a 17+ year conflict...

Or when the Russians rolled in and got stuck there for a decade...before withdrawing.

Remember--AVB is a shill-bot for people that want you dead for lawfully owning guns. He was never on here to actually support any 2A rights, the presence is to infiltrate and attempt to influence in the direction his masters tell him to do. Any 'compromise' will surely lead to the loss of your rights and property, and eventually, your life. Beware

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, matty said:

Is anyone surprised by Russian shill AVB's support for an AWB?  

Are we sure he is a Russian shill?

Through gun ownership, I have met many people from Russia and various Eastern European countries. I found all of them to be very proud Americans, passionate gun owners, and huge supporters of individual liberty and limited government.

It's almost as if people who have experience with socialism understand how much it sucks...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mossburger said:

Are we sure he is a Russian shill?

Through gun ownership, I have met many people from Russia and various Eastern European countries. I found all of them to be very proud Americans, passionate gun owners, and huge supporters of individual liberty and limited government.

It's almost as if people who have experience with socialism understand how much it sucks...

No, he is not Russian, but PAID by the Russians

GunsnFreedom:

AVB-AMG

Do you really believe the National Guard will fight the people they live next to. I'm not worried about the National Guard, It's Homeland Security that scares me.