Silence Dogood

ALERT - Judiciary Committee Hearing Wed. 2/28/18 - Trenton

The Assembly Judiciary Committee has now scheduled a hearing on Wednesday, February 28, at 11:00 a.m. in Room 11 of the State House Annex, fourth floor.  Why so little notice?  They know it’s important that you attend, and they simply don’t want that to happen.  You can bet that their gun control colleagues had plenty of time to make plans to attend and will try to stack the room.  As always, it’s important that you call and email your legislators, but NRA-ILA and ANJPRC, the official NRA state association, is also encouraging gun owners to attend and make a strong statement.

The following bills are scheduled to be considered:

A2761 Magazine Ban: Reduces maximum capacity of ammunition magazines to 10 rounds.

A2759 Ammo Ban: Prohibits possession of so-called “armor piercing ammunition" banning most common centerfire rifle ammunition. 

A2758 Removes right to carry: Codifies regulations defining justifiable need to carry handgun.

A2757 Bans private transfers by requiring dealer background checks for all private gun sales.

A1016 Smart Guns: Establishes commission to approve smart guns; requires firearm retailers to sell smart guns.

A1217 Authorizes “gun violence restraining orders” which would lead to the seizure of firearms in situations where only an allegation has occurred without any conviction. This would all occur with little to no due process of the law.

A1181 Requires firearms seizure when health "professionals" think someone poses risk.

Again, these bills are all failed concepts that will do nothing to improve public safety.  They represent a serious infringement on the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding New Jersey gun owners.  Enough is enough.  Please make plans to attend the hearing next week and contact members of the Assembly Judiciary Committee, respectfully asking them to reject these gun control bills.

NJLEG version:

Assembly Judiciary
    Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 11:00 AM
    Meeting - Committee Room 11, 4th Floor, State House Annex, Trenton, NJ

Bill Abstract   Current Status LDOA  

A1016 Handguns, personalized-sell by retailers   AJU 1/9/2018  
A1181 Mental health prof warning-seize firearm   ALP 1/9/2018  
A1217 Gun viol. restraining orders-auth.   ALP 1/9/2018  
A2757 Priv. gun sales-req background check   AJU 2/1/2018  
A2758 Handgun, need to carry-codifies reg.   AJU 2/1/2018  
A2759 Ammunition, penetrate body armor-proh.   AJU 2/1/2018  
A2761 Ammunition magazines-reduce to 10 rounds   AJU 2/1/2018  

A2761

"The bill exempts law enforcement officers from the bill’s 10 round limit on ammunition magazines by authorizing them to possess and carry while on duty a large capacity ammunition magazine and possess and carry while off duty a large capacity ammunition magazine which is capable of holding up to 15 rounds of ammunition.  The bill also permits retired police officers authorized to possess and carry a handgun in this State to continue to possess and carry a magazine capable of holding up to 15 rounds."  

Next

"Only the police should have Guns...."

• Like 2

I will be travelling for work. But by all means go, it will be an instructive thing to see what they say when they are passing these things out and to be voted on. They were gonna do it all anyway, now they can claim to be 'doing something'. Watch for the pontificating prof from Teaneck, the Unitarian Life whatevers, Bryan Miller, Loretta And Glenn show. There will be tons more NRA hate this time, and I predict the spectators will be way more one sided than last time

A2759 Ammo Ban: Prohibits possession of so-called “armor piercing ammunition" banning most common centerfire rifle ammunition. 

62 grain green tip is not defined as armor piercing ammunition so what is really banned?

ATF AP Classified Rounds

• All KTW, ARCANE, and THV ammo
  • Czech made 9mm Para. with steel core
  • German made 9mm Para. with steel core
  • MSC .25 ACP with brass bullet
  • BLACK STEEL armor and metal piercing ammunition
  • 7.62mm NATO AP and SLAP
  • PMC ULTRAMAG with brass bullet (not copper)
  • OMNISHOCK .38 Special with steel core
  • 7.62×39 ammo with steel core bullets

ATF Exempted Rounds

• 5.56 SS109 and M855 NATO rounds, with steel penetrator tip.
  • .30-06 M2 AP ammo

2 hours ago, Silence Dogood said:

The following bills are scheduled to be considered:

I only saw handgun ammunition listed in the bill. Did I miss something?

14 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Nope...Only handgun ammo that was already banned twice before. This is the re-re-ban to make it look like they are doing something!

• Like 1

A2759: "Under current federal and State law, the possession of hollow nose or dum-dum bullets is prohibited, as is the possession of bullets which are Teflon-coated or which have specially hardened metal jackets or cores."

Hollow nose? They can't mean hollow points, they're not prohibited. What am I not understanding?

I see it is the FN 5.7 they're targeting. I only know one guy that owns a 5.7 and he's in PA.

15 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

A2759: "Under current federal and State law, the possession of hollow nose or dum-dum bullets is prohibited, as is the possession of bullets which are Teflon-coated or which have specially hardened metal jackets or cores."

Hollow nose? They can't mean hollow points, they're not prohibited. What am I not understanding?

I see it is the FN 5.7 they're targeting. I only know one guy that owns a 5.7 and he's in PA.

AFAIK hollow nose is not an actual thing.  They must mean hollow-point, which is not prohibited.  

It's wholly possible they think HP are prohibited.  They know little about the actual laws.

7 hours ago, GunsnFreedom said:

AFAIK hollow nose is not an actual thing.  They must mean hollow-point, which is not prohibited.  

It's wholly possible they think HP are prohibited.  They know little about the actual laws.

They do mean hollow point, which (remember how NJ works) are prohibited, except within exemptions, which include possession in the home, range, point-of-purchase, etc.

This is the NJ mindset, everything is prohibited, except ....

10 hours ago, ChrisJM981 said:

No, the pasted information is from the NRA, and appears to be incorrect, since the bill only covers SS190AP:

From the bill:

Police officers have encountered a new and highly destructive bullet.  The SS190AP ammunition for the Five-seveN Tactical handgun is uniquely designed.  It is a full metal jacketed bullet, but utilizes two metal inserts.  The tip of the bullet has a steel penetrator which is followed by an aluminum core.  The weight relationship between the two metals causes the bullet to tumble in soft body tissue, resulting in massive and, in many instances, deadly wounds.

But it is not just the substantial body trauma these bullets can cause that makes them a special threat to the law enforcement community.  When fired from the Five-seveN handgun, the SS190AP bullet can penetrate 48 layers of Kevlar, the protective material used to make many types of body armor.

1 hour ago, Silence Dogood said:

They do mean hollow point, which (remember how NJ works) are prohibited, except within exemptions, which include possession in the home, range, point-of-purchase, etc.

Thanks. I do know that all firearms (and hollow points) are prohibited in NJ and allowed only by exemption. I just wanted to make sure that somehow I was not unaware of some new (to me) ammunition category. As usual their use of the English language is inept and imprecise. By design.

I wonder if making it  widely known publicly that all firearms are banned in NJ except by granted exemptions would change anyone's mind? Probably not, but I'm sure most people don't know that. 

15 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

Thanks. I do know that all firearms (and hollow points) are prohibited in NJ and allowed only by exemption. I just wanted to make sure that somehow I was not unaware of some new (to me) ammunition category. As usual their use of the English language is inept and imprecise. By design.

I wonder if making it  widely known publicly that all firearms are banned in NJ except by granted exemptions would change anyone's mind? Probably not, but I'm sure most people don't know that. 

Don't give them any more ideas :-/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silence Dogood said:

You are correct.  And it pains me that you are correct.  I forget where I live sometimes.

• Like 1

Everyone here needs to click and read each of the proposed bills.

We are doing a disservice to ourselves by not knowing exactly what each entails, and can therefore be very easily rebutted in any debate on the subject.

For example A2759 - adds or (3) any person, other than a law enforcement officer, who knowingly has in his possession handgun ammunition which has a full metal jacket and an ogive with a steel penetrator tip followed by an aluminum core and is therefore capable of breaching or penetrating body armor is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

• Like 1

Members of the NJ Assembly Judiciary Committee  

Assemblywoman Annette Quijano (D20) — Chair
[email protected]
P: (908) 624-0880

Assemblyman Joseph A. Lagana (D38) — Vice Chair
[email protected]
P: (201) 576-9199

Assemblyman Arthur Barclay (D5)
[email protected]
P: (856) 541-1251

Assemblyman Gordon M. Johnson (D37)
[email protected]
P: (201) 530-0469  

Assemblywoman Carol A. Murphy (D7)
[email protected]
P:(856) 735-5334

Assemblyman Michael Patrick Carroll (R25)
[email protected]
P: (973) 539-8113

Assemblyman Erik Peterson (R23)
[email protected]    
P: (908) 238-0251

9 minutes ago, Silence Dogood said:

Members of the NJ Assembly Judiciary Committee  

Assemblywoman Annette Quijano (D20) — Chair
[email protected]
P: (908) 624-0880

Assemblyman Joseph A. Lagana (D38) — Vice Chair
[email protected]
P: (201) 576-9199

Assemblyman Arthur Barclay (D5)
[email protected]
P: (856) 541-1251

Assemblyman Gordon M. Johnson (D37)
[email protected]
P: (201) 530-0469  

Assemblywoman Carol A. Murphy (D7)
[email protected]
P:(856) 735-5334

Assemblyman Michael Patrick Carroll (R25)
[email protected]
P: (973) 539-8113

Assemblyman Erik Peterson (R23)
[email protected]    
P: (908) 238-0251

5-2

• Like 1

Has anyone written up any thoughtful response we should all be emailing them with?  like facts and figures and such and why they should vote no on such and such?

Don't think an email that just states they are idiots and to leave us and the 2A alone would go very far .....Even if its true :)

On 2/26/2018 at 1:27 PM, Lakota said:

Has anyone written up any thoughtful response we should all be emailing them with?  like facts and figures and such and why they should vote no on such and such?

Don't think an email that just states they are idiots and to leave us and the 2A alone would go very far .....Even if its true :)

State Total
murders1
Total
firearms
Handguns Rifles Shotguns Firearms
(type
unknown)
Knives or
cutting
instruments
Other
weapons
Hands, fists,
feet, etc.2

New Jersey 372 278 212 1 3 62 29 42 23

In 2016, the most recent year where information is publicly available, there were 372 murders in New Jersey.  Of those murders, 278 were committed with a firearm.  Of that 278, there is only one (1) where the weapon could be identified as a rifle.  Twenty-nine (29) were committed by people using knives and twenty-three (23) were by physical force.  In New Jersey, a state with over 9,000,000 people - the most densely populated state in the nation - you are twelve times (12) more likely to be struck by lightning and twenty-three (23) times more likely to be punched, kicked or strangled to death than shot by a rifle.   New Jersey already has some of the most stringent firearms laws in the US.  New Jersey's citizens are still under the restrictions of the Federal Assault-Weapons-Ban under Title 13 Chapter 54.  Making the laws even more strict will not change the statistics, it will only make law abiding gun owners equivalent to violent criminals.

Banning certain types of firearms based on cosmetic features will do nothing to stem the rate of murder.  We need to focus efforts on community policing, lowering jobless rates in high crime areas, and giving low-skilled workers a better chance at finding rewarding careers through introducing a jobs corp.  The legislature of New Jersey needs to spend their efforts on increasing quality-of-life for those struggling to make ends meet, not making criminals out of ordinary citizens.

That is what I sent them.

• Like 1

Have fun if you go - watch them laugh at you from the windows or in person - this is all predetermined and done....  Let's vote then hear comments - SO let it be written - SO let it be done. 

Did it once before and I am not doing it again - I have money to earn to save to get out of the hole known as NJ - each day one step closer........  :)

Give em hell !!