Sign in to follow this  
maintenanceguy

.300 Win Short Mag vs. .300 Win Mag

I'm interested in delving into longer range shooting.  I own several rifles in different calibers but nothing made to reach very far.  I have done a lot of research and I think I'm settled on a .300 WSM.  But, I'm not 100% sure just because it's not nearly as common as many other cartridges typically used for longer range shooting. If it really was the best option, I think I'd hear of more people using it.  I'm hoping someone can either confirm my thinking or show me where I'm wrong.  Don't be shy, my skin is thick.

Here's a comparison between the WSM, WMag and a couple of other rounds.

win-mag-vs-win-short-mag.JPG

First, the WSM is faster.  That means less bullet drop.  It also has more energy then most of the more common longer range rounds.

Now, comparing only the Win Mag to the Win Short Mag:

win-mag-vs-win-short-mag2.JPG

If we randomly pick 500yds to compare the two, the WSM velocity is 40% faster, the energy is nearly double, and the wind drift (at 10mph cross wind) is half of the wind drift for the Win Mag.

It seems like the better round but since it's not very common, I must be missing something.  A good round should be a popular round.

School me.

Winmag is better for long distance shooting.

The WSM is better with lighter bullets in the 165 grain range, the Winmag would be better with 200gr. pills. Both are fine hunting rounds.

As mentioned above, while I'm not at all a fan of the RUM, the lack of a belt + the ability to use heavier bullet is probably better for long range target than either of the 2 you have listed.

With that said, none of them are as good for long range shooting as the 6.5 or even the .308 simply for the recoil, available LR ammo, etc.

8 minutes ago, RichP said:

Winmag is better for long distance shooting.

The WSM is better with lighter bullets in the 165 grain range, the Winmag would be better with 200gr. pills. Both are fine hunting rounds.

As mentioned above, while I'm not at all a fan of the RUM, the lack of a belt + the ability to use heavier bullet is probably better for long range target than either of the 2 you have listed.

With that said, none of them are as good for long range shooting as the 6.5 or even the .308 simply for the recoil, available LR ammo, etc.

I'm sure you're right, but why?  I get the 6.5 Creedmore is a lighter round and has less recoil, but why is Winmag better for long distance?

6 minutes ago, maintenanceguy said:

I'm sure you're right, but why?  I get the 6.5 Creedmore is a lighter round and has less recoil, but why is Winmag better for long distance?

As far as I know, the Winmag can be loaded with 200-220 grain bullets. Additionally, there are many more "heavy match" loadings available with the Winmag.

6 minutes ago, maintenanceguy said:

I hadn't but I just looked up some info on it.  Same velocity as the  300WSM, more energy, but also less guns made in this caliber. 

Not so sure about that. Pretty positive that the RUM can be driven much faster than the WSM; almost as much as the 30-378Wby (dig at RUM owners). The 30 Nosler is also in the same league. All 3 of these have huge case capacity.

Keep in mind that the 300WM is a belted magnum which adds complications to reloading and the amount of times the case can be reloaded compared to 300WSM. Someone more knowledgeable on reloading 300wm could speak more informatively on this than I. With that being said if you shoot factory ammo, the 300wm is probably a better choice. I think the 6.5's are great. ive been shooting them way before they became fashionable. However, they do not put the energy down range that some are looking for. The "heat" right now is the 300NM. Inherently accurate, high BC bullets, 80% the energy of 338LM with 60% of the recoil. Probably why SOCOM picked it as their new sniper round.