Mrs. Peel

Time to Contact the White House!

I haven't been around the firearms issue as long as some of you. So, for me anyway, this is the biggest wave of attacks on gun owners that I've personally ever witnessed. The CNN Town Hall (which I felt was premature in the most ghastly way) was like watching a circus of raw emotions... people with alternative views were savaged, it was a festival of lies by that corrupt sheriff and a blatantly one-sided moderating job by Tapper... I felt like this must have been what it was like back when the Roman Coliseum was operating!

And things are so raw, so nuts, we're seeing completely nonsensical arguments being formed:

• "Kids under 21 are too young to have AR-15s" + "These kids are so wise and mature, they must be allowed to vote at 16." 
  • "Yes, everyone in charge bungled their jobs" + "We don't care... just blame the guns."

There's NO sense, NO logic, and NO effort to have a fact-based discussion. It's hysteria... on steroids... and being fueled with $500,000 donations from celebs. In the middle of it all we have our mercurial President, who sometimes seem to sway whichever way the wind is blowing. That's a real concern.

That said, I've never seen a more important time for gun owners to reach out DIRECTLY to the White House.

Some suggestions:

• Be polite and respectful.
  • Be brief - I would guess MAXIMUM - 90 seconds on the phone or one page written. 
  • If you voted for Trump, do mention that first! 
  • If you have concerns about some of the specific ideas being proposed, say why.
  • If you support some of the proposals, explain why you support them.
  • [if you don't know what to say, I'm sure the group could collaboratively come up with bullet points - don't be afraid to ask - not everyone's a gabby goose!]

There are 2 links attached:

As much as I support the general work of the 2A orgs, I personally wouldn't let the NRA, the GOA or any other organization speak for me when I can simply pick up the phone... or take to the keyboard... and speak for myself. So, I'm going to do this (just trying to decide if I'll call or write). But, I respectfully ask that the rest of you also consider doing this... and further, that you share the White House contact info on other forums/Facebook pages, etc. that you might frequent. This is a simple, direct way that gun owners can make their voices heard. 

In fact, I'm committing - right here, right now - to contact the White House at least quarterly - with a focus on whatever's happening with the gun issue at that particular time. Because I think it's that important to keep the pressure on.

What say the rest of you?

• Like 3

Considering how 20+ year old "kids" are tending to delay adulthood longer and longer, is it any wonder that someone would propose raising the age limit for rifles? I'm not trying to defend them or this awful idea, but I think it's obvious that a very large swath of 18-25 year olds in this country aren't mature enough to feed and clothe themselves, let alone own a weapon.

This is a symptom of much larger issues with our society, but unfortunately the "easy" fix is to go after the freedoms of everyone instead of dealing with the actual problems.

With that said, I'll send something. I'd rather we address the actual issues, and the good people don't deserve to have their rights stripped away from them.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Persona non grata said:

Considering how 20+ year old "kids" are tending to delay adulthood longer and longer, is it any wonder that someone would propose raising the age limit for rifles? I'm not trying to defend them or this awful idea, but I think it's obvious that a very large swath of 18-25 year olds in this country aren't mature enough to feed and clothe themselves, let alone own a weapon.

This is a symptom of much larger issues with our society, but unfortunately the "easy" fix is to go after the freedoms of everyone instead of dealing with the actual problems.

With that said, I'll send something. I'd rather we address the actual issues, and the good people don't deserve to have their rights stripped away from them.

These 20+ year old kids are the generation being raised with rubber mats under their playground equipment instead of dirt, never got in a fight, being taught that everything should be fair, every game ends in a tie, and everyone gets a participation trophy just for showing up.  They are not raised learning how to work with their hands, aren't taught that shooting is a skill and a gun is a tool that you have to handle responsibly, so they play video games and get this fantasy idea that guns give you magical powers and they can't wait to turn 21 to buy one and shoot everyone who laughed at them and hurt their tender little feelings when they were a kid. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Persona non grata said:

Coming from a 24 Year old, MOST 18 year olds shouldnt have access to firearms, at least where i grew up in CNJ. Maybe down south kids are more mature but i doubt it. Its insane how immature most are nowadays. I dont entirely oppose raising it to 21.. thing is with that logic, everything should be raised to 21....

Its a tough issue, but in Israel we could buy booze at 18. You were in the military at 17 or 18. Mandatory.. if your family could afford it you go to college after.

As immature as the kids are, there are some things that are taken very seriously, including matters relating to safety and security. Here, not so much. I never heard of fake bomb threats and shit when i was in school there. Here, its a regular occurance. Like almost every year we had one.

Armed security is everywhere... schools, malls, restauraunts, you name it.

Knock on wood, the only terrorist attacks there nowadays are some pissed off arab with a knife. The occasional rare shooting, perhaps, but guns are rare there other than those with CCWs and obviously military/police/security. We used to screw around but not like the kids here. I wouldnt trust most 18 year olds with a pocket knife.. lol

• Like 1

Honestly, not sure what the White House will do for us.  In the big scheme of things, they have our (the collective law abiding, pro 2A and generally gun owning public of America) best interests in mind.

I think what would be much better is to contact your state and federal representatives, because in this nearly one party state, showing that there are others with differing opinion is the only thing that can put them on notice.

Also if there are NJ representatives from other districts/areas that don't technically represent you, but represent us on here, perhaps a message to them also would be smart...

The WH may have to be our only hope. We have too many corrupt politicians in NJ and the ones who are not, are either Rinos or just to complacent to care. They are like Skynet. You cannot stop them.

Recently, there have been a group of senators who drafted bills in light of all this.
This bill is to - Repeal - the 2nd Amendment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, JHZR2 said:

Honestly, not sure what the White House will do for us.  In the big scheme of things, they have our (the collective law abiding, pro 2A and generally gun owning public of America) best interests in mind.

I think what would be much better is to contact your state and federal representatives, because in this nearly one party state, showing that there are others with differing opinion is the only thing that can put them on notice.

Also if there are NJ representatives from other districts/areas that don't technically represent you, but represent us on here, perhaps a message to them also would be smart...

I think Trump sways with the breeze... couldn't hurt to hear from his constituents!

But, to your point, contact other reps (Fed/state) also. Yeah, I know that some will say contacting state reps is pointless, but even some of the more experienced "career politician" Dems are worried that Murphy will overplay his hand and go WAY too far... thus ushering in another Republican Gov in 4 years. If they start getting a LOT of pushback from angry voters this early into Murphy's administration, it might encourage them to help moderate his behavior. It can't hurt to try!

21. Is 21 the magic number? Is that the age restriction that will stop mass shootings? If that's the number that changes everything, then let's do it. And then there is 10. 10rd magazines. Is 10 the magic number? Is that the magazine size that will change everything? 

Arbitrary numbers that will make no difference, ever.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I think Trump sways with the breeze... couldn't hurt to hear from his constituents!

But, to your point, contact other reps (Fed/state) also. Yeah, I know that some will say contacting state reps is pointless, but even some of the more experienced "career politician" Dems are worried that Murphy will overplay his hand and go WAY too far... thus ushering in another Republican Gov in 4 years. If they start getting a LOT of pushback from angry voters this early into Murphy's administration, it might encourage them to help moderate his behavior. It can't hurt to try!

Although I sent my email and have sent many more, what they're going to look at is how and where people voted in the past elections.  That's how they'll sway.  There's no passion in these people to do the right and moral thing.  The only passion they have is to survive their career politician jobs and maintain a legacy.  They need to be sure when they are done or dead they get that park or rest stop named after them.

Emails are cute but nothing substantial will happen until voter turnout improves.  I sometimes wonder if the 2A organizations we contribute to couldn't join forces and carve a little out of their budget to educate and motivate people to hit the voting booths.  Billboards, radios spots, something.  Looking at the numbers I firmly believe the votes are there.  They are just not cast.  

My God, Trump can get in after all the things he's done in his life, after all the things he's said, without any knowledge of politics other than donations and they even had a tape where he brags about where and how he grabs women (!).  He did this because we had enough.  Because we wanted to send a message to Washington of the change we wanted.  Well I believe the same can happen here if the voting public gets motivated to do so.  Gets motivated to get out there.  Many are discouraged about voting over much of what's happened over the years in Presidential elections (Bush-Gore).  But the governor's and mid-terms are not subject to the electoral process.  It's a one vote - one man system.  The votes do count. but only if they're cast.      

• Like 1

Calling their offices repeatedly also helps. Mipa had the right idea about one thing, showing up at their office was one of the more effective ways to get the message to them. I had an automated email and fax going out to all of them in the state legislature, Gov Christie, House rep and senators in 2013.  Alos printed and signed letters and mailed them weekly. Someone posted a list of legislator addressess fax and phone numbers then

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lambo2936 said:

Coming from a 24 Year old, MOST 18 year olds shouldnt have access to firearms, at least where i grew up in CNJ. Maybe down south kids are more mature but i doubt it. Its insane how immature most are nowadays. I dont entirely oppose raising it to 21.. thing is with that logic, everything should be raised to 21....

Its a tough issue, but in Israel we could buy booze at 18. You were in the military at 17 or 18. Mandatory.. if your family could afford it you go to college after.

As immature as the kids are, there are some things that are taken very seriously, including matters relating to safety and security. Here, not so much. I never heard of fake bomb threats and shit when i was in school there. Here, its a regular occurance. Like almost every year we had one.

Armed security is everywhere... schools, malls, restauraunts, you name it.

Knock on wood, the only terrorist attacks there nowadays are some pissed off arab with a knife. The occasional rare shooting, perhaps, but guns are rare there other than those with CCWs and obviously military/police/security. We used to screw around but not like the kids here. I wouldnt trust most 18 year olds with a pocket knife.. lol

The world, and this country, is a much different place than when I grew up. Kids nowadays aren’t taught responsibility by their parents like we were. Part of it was where I was raised. We were taught to shoot, and hunt pretty young. I can’t see ‘city folk’ being raised at an early age to respect/use firearms, or hunt like we were. Simply because of the culture, and location.

I know I’ve shared this before, but I received my first gun when I was 5. It was an old Savage single shot .22. I killed my first deer at 7 with my grandfather.  We hunted and target shot without parental supervision beyond that. That responsibility was TAUGHT to us, at a young age. A lot of that came out of living in the country. I imagine very few kids these days are raised like that, especially outside rural areas. When I was a kid, you were the exception if you didn’t grow up in that manner. 

It was commonplace for us to bring our hunting firearms and ammunition to school (GASP!!!) during hunting season. I ALWAYS had a pocket knife on me, since I was about 7. I imagine, even in west Texas, that would be pretty rare these days, given the culture of our time. 

Looking at many kids now, and how they behave, I don’t think the vast majority of them are able to handle responsibility like we were. Maybe I’m wrong. I’m sure you guys are going to fling poo at me for saying this, but I would not lose my mind  if the age to PURCHACE a firearm was raised to 21....given the maturity level of many kids now. Yep, I’m sure your kid is different, and I’m not saying that EVERY young person is irresponsible. 

Like Lambo, I think if you raise the age to own a firearm, the age to do other ‘responsible adult’ things should be raised too. Drinking is already 21 (coerced by federal highway funds back in the ‘80’s), driving a car could be raised to 21 in the same manner. Are 18 year olds mature and responsible enough to enter into legal contracts (financial and otherwise)? Looking back, I know I wasn’t (but did). Maybe that should go to 21 too. Voting? Are today’s kids able to comprehend the importance of civic responsibility? I don’t know the answer to that. 

The ‘Law of Unintended Concequences’ applies to everything in life, so whatever actions we take on every level, needs to be considered very carefully. Life is pretty Newtonian, as for every action, there is an equal, and opposite reaction. Often, that reaction is not immmediately apparent. 

Over 50 old man rant off.....

• Like 3