JHZR2

Exemption to allow use of NJSP for permits?

I called my local agent today, and he said he is so busy processing that I should try again next week.  

Is there grounds such as this that would allow use of the NJSP instead?  I don't want to complain about the guy - I have every reason to believe he is currently overburdened.  But I also wish to get documents submitted....

Apparently now they must talk to everyone... no impersonal drop off of paperwork.  I'm not well enough exposed to the processes to know if that's actually consistent with any practice, or if it's local administrative steps that should be flagged... I wouldn't particularly care if it were a matter of going by at 830 tomorrow morning... but to wait a week?

7 minutes ago, JHZR2 said:

Believe the person who processes the firearms stuff is "Special Agent ______".  

Really LOL.. strange title for a local police office..

ok so you want to file for the NJSP pistol exemption and P2P but he's to busy to process you?

OR

Are you trying to go around the local PD and file directly with the NJSP?

Just now, GunsnFreedom said:

What’s the NJSP pistol exemption? Just getting pistol permits from the NJSP instead of your town?

Depends.

There is an exemption that allows more then 1 hand gun per month...

He might be thinking there is an exemption allowing you to file directly with the NJSP for permits.

6 minutes ago, remixer said:

Really LOL.. strange title for a local police office..

ok so you want to file for the NJSP pistol exemption and P2P but he's to busy to process you?

OR

Are you trying to go around the local PD and file directly with the NJSP?

Not a police office, the person designated to process 

don't want to file an exeption, but otherwise #1.  Want to submit paperwork but  poc is too busy.  Can I therefore go to NJSP via some method?

2 minutes ago, remixer said:

Depends.

There is an exemption that allows more then 1 hand gun per month...

He might be thinking there is an exemption allowing you to file directly with the NJSP for permits.

Correct, exemption to file directly with NJSP.  Just asking :)

Just now, JHZR2 said:

Not a police office, the person designated to process 

don't want to file an exeption, but otherwise #1.  Want to submit paperwork but  poc is too busy.  Can I therefore go to NJSP via some method?

I'm not sure if the NJSP will allow that.. But beware iv been told the NJSP is slow as shit when issuing permits even if you were able to.

I'm not sure if the NJSP will allow that.. But beware iv been told the NJSP is slow as shit when issuing permits even if you were able to.

There is no exemption. The law is quite clear that one must file with local police, and NJSP if they are the local police. I looked into it myself years ago.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

this "special agent" for permits sounds funny(as in weird, not haha) to me. pd i do work for, one of their patrolmen does the permtis.....in my home town, it's a detective.

It's a detective in my town too.  And I don't think you can go over the heads of local pd to NJSP because local is backed up.

The law states you must go to your local pd or NJSP if you do not have a town pd.

9 minutes ago, Golf battery said:

Yeah.  There is no exemption.  Youre looking at bulk transfer/purchase.  Most go up the chain of command.  

No, not looking for bulk transfer/purchase.  When I said exemption, it did not imply exempting on the OGAM rule.  It was if there is a way to utilize the NJSP due to backlog locally.  For me the added benefit even if theyre slow, is being able to ask for 6 permits, and getting automatic 180 day extension.  I cant seem to get those locally; but the question intent was truly from the angle of how soon can I get my papers in... 

41 minutes ago, capt14k said:

There is no exemption. The law is quite clear that one must file with local police, and NJSP if they are the local police. I looked into it myself years ago.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thanks to you and others who have looked into it before and have an answer.  The law has exemptions, like the basis of how we do most anything legally WRT firearms here.  But thanks for confirming there is no such thing for this.

The state takes WAY LONGER to return them.  Plus as mentioned, the law says you can only file with NJSP if you live in an area with no municipal police.  I live in such area.  Last week I got a P2P back from NJSP after applying in November of 2017.  Took 117 days before I got it back, (but it came with the extension already filled out).  State law says they have no more than 30 days to return it.  

From talking to the state police (local and in Trenton) I found out the reason the State takes way longer than nearly all municipalities.  Local Police Chiefs have the authority to approve your P2P once the background check is done.  NJSP Barracks Commanders do not have that authority.  So all applications for P2P are sent to Trenton to be checked and signed off by a single office in the NJSP Firearms Division.  The backlog is enormous because they have so many more to process than any 1 municipal police department has to process.

On 2/28/2018 at 8:42 PM, Regular Guy said:

The state takes WAY LONGER to return them.  Plus as mentioned, the law says you can only file with NJSP if you live in an area with no municipal police.  I live in such area.  Last week I got a P2P back from NJSP after applying in November of 2017.  Took 117 days before I got it back, (but it came with the extension already filled out).  State law says they have no more than 30 days to return it.  

From talking to the state police (local and in Trenton) I found out the reason the State takes way longer than nearly all municipalities.  Local Police Chiefs have the authority to approve your P2P once the background check is done.  NJSP Barracks Commanders do not have that authority.  So all applications for P2P are sent to Trenton to be checked and signed off by a single office in the NJSP Firearms Division.  The backlog is enormous because they have so many more to process than any 1 municipal police department has to process.

I know this sounds like the devil talking but hear me out...

i actually think this is better. Not the time, but the fact the permits go to the same person. It adds way more consistency. There is no sense in bitching that we have to do this because it most likely won’t go away anytime soon. So if we have to deal with it, it would be nice if the process and approval guidelines were consistent. Even for politically biased. At least that bias would be somewhat predictable. 

On 2/28/2018 at 8:42 PM, Regular Guy said:

That and my issue boiled down to when the barracks sends a trooper to Trenton to “pick up their mail”.  I lost a month over that. 

I for one am ready to see the process privatized. The finger print process already is. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BobA said:

I for one am ready to see the process privatized. The finger print process already is. 

My chief has mentioned that to me often. I’m not sure the man hours our detective doing the firearms spends on each permit.  But we average under 2 months for P2p’s. No difference if it’s my wife or I. Towns population 10,000.