Sniper

House Democrats introduce bill prohibiting sale of semi-automatic weapons

House Democrats have introduced a bill banning semi-automatic firearms in the wake of the Feb. 14 shooting at a high school in Parkland, Fla.

Rep. David Cicilline, D-R.I., announced Monday he is introducing the Assault Weapons Ban of 2018. More than 150 Democrats have signed on in support of the legislation, Rep. Ted Deutch, D-Fla., said

"Today I joined @RepCicilline and 150+ of my colleagues to introduce the assault weapons ban. It’s time for Congress to listen to the will of a majority of Americans and pass sensible legislation to get these weapons of war off our streets. #NeverAgain #MSDStrong," Deutch tweeted.

The bill prohibits the “sale, transfer, production, and importation” of semi-automatic rifles and pistols that can hold a detachable magazine, as well as semi-automatic rifles with a magazine that can hold more than 10 rounds. Additionally, the legislation bans the sale, transfer, production, and importation of semi-automatic shotguns with features such as a pistol grip or detachable stock, and ammunition feeding devices that can hold more than 10 rounds.

Cicilline’s legislation names 205 specific firearms that are prohibited, including the AK-47 and AR-15.

“Assault weapons were made for one purpose,” Cicilline said in a statement. “They are designed to kill as many people as possible in a short amount of time. They do not belong in our communities.”

Deutch vowed during a CNN town hall last week to introduce a bill banning semi-automatic weapons.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/house-democrats-introduce-bill-prohibiting-sale-of-semi-automatic-weapons/article/2650087

Link to Press Release:

https://cicilline.house.gov/press-release/cicilline-introduces-assault-weapons-ban-2018

8 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

"Today I joined @RepCicilline and 150+ of my colleagues to introduce the assault weapons ban. It’s time for Congress to listen to the will of a majority of Americans and pass sensible legislation to get these weapons of war off our streets. #NeverAgain #MSDStrong," Deutch tweeted.

Earlier today I was researching what countries have ever used the semi-auto AR15 as their standard issue military weapon. I was shocked, SHOCKED I tell ya, that not one country ever issued the AR15 as a weapon of war.

• Like 4

Just now, DirtyDigz said:

You mean, excluding the US in Vietnam?

The select fire AR15 was very short lived before it became the M16.  I also believe it was only issued to special forces for T&E so it was not really the official issue battle rifle.  But more to the point.  Is there ANY country that officially issued semi-auto AR-15s as their MBR?  

Looks like the Democrats are actually going to run on gun control in November!

Just a quick glance at the bill. It's nothing but virtue signaling for November.

The bill itself has absolutely no chance. Not in the House, not in the Senate, Trump would veto it, and in the absence of a President Trump, President Pence would veto it.

Even if it did somehow get signed into law, it violates Heller, "those in common use for lawful purposes".

I would not advise the Democrats to run on gun control for November. Nothing will get out the vote against them like this. Nothing.

• Like 2

This isn't legislating, it's campaigning.  They know damn well this bill will go nowhere and even if it did it would be overturned in the courts.  Even the 9th circus would find it hard to uphold this piece of garbage. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bob2222 said:

Looks like the Democrats are actually going to run on gun control in November!

Just a quick glance at the bill. It's nothing but virtue signaling for November.

The bill itself has absolutely no chance. Not in the House, not in the Senate, Trump would veto it, and in the absence of a President Trump, President Pence would veto it.

Even if it did somehow get signed into law, it violates Heller, "those in common use for lawful purposes".

I would not advise the Democrats to run on gun control for November. Nothing will get out the vote against them like this. Nothing.

Let's hope they do......they feel they have momentum