Sign in to follow this  
mossburger

Saw off a shotgun barrel

Sorry, couldn't resist with the title.

Anyway I have a 28" vent rib barrel. I'd like to cut it down to ~20" and clip on a pair of iron sights to the vent ribs for slug shooting. 

I'm assuming a pipe saw would do the job and some sandpaper could clean up any burrs.

Is it really that simple or I'm missing something?

I have a slow cut carbide chop saw (NOT abrasive) we use for steel work. Will cut thru structural 1/2" steel 2x4's like butter, and i bet itd work great for this. Its at my buddys place in Marlboro. Not sure where you're from but if you need help, hollah.

Nothing to it.  Clamp it in a vice between a couple of pieces of wood and saw carefully with a hacksaw.  Debur with a fine half-round file and you're good to go.

But...if you buy a a slug barrel, that makes your gun capable of double duty.

2 hours ago, GRIZ said:

Unless you're capable of doing the job yourself you might find it only a little more expensive or even cheaper to just buy another barrel.

JMO

Sell the barrel, use the cash for a new barrel.  

• Like 3

Carbide grit blade is a good idea, can go nice and slow with a recip or jig saw.

Buying a new barrel for this probably wouldn't happen. It had its guts pumped with brake grease almost a decade ago and hasn't been cleaned once. That's the sort of life this thing lives. And i think it enjoy it. It doesn't get money spent on it LOL

17 minutes ago, mossburger said:

Carbide grit blade is a good idea, can go nice and slow with a recip or jig saw.

Buying a new barrel for this probably wouldn't happen. It had its guts pumped with brake grease almost a decade ago and hasn't been cleaned once. That's the sort of life this thing lives. And i think it enjoy it. It doesn't get money spent on it LOL

A beater?