Mrs. Peel

Trump Wants to Arm Teachers. These Schools Already Do.

Wow. Kind of a shocker! This is a fairly reasonable and balanced article about teachers being armed... FROM THE NEW YORK TIMES! (Yes, I know... I almost fainted too).

It discusses some of the U.S. schools that have been arming teachers for YEARS now. One of these school districts - Sidney City Schools - (featured in the article) seemed particularly "on their game" in my mind, training monthly at the range and also training in the school itself (with air guns), etc. I certainly think it's an option schools should be allowed to consider. It might not be right for every community... that's fine. But the initial hysteria that was trying to scuttle the entire idea as outrageous... was just that: hysteria. And hysteria has no place in sound decision-making.

Anyway, it's a really interesting read... and I have placed it in a general forum for the widest audience. So, that means no naughty words allowed in your posts, pls.:nono:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/trump-wants-to-arm-teachers-these-schools-already-do/ar-BBJLjkz?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp 

• Like 2

I work in a school district with 7 high schools. Not one teacher or principal that I have talked to has any desire to carry a gun in school. I have offered to take a few to a range and see for themselves what shooting a firearm is like. No takers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rtquig said:

I work in a school district with 7 high schools. Not one teacher or principal that I have talked to has any desire to carry a gun in school. I have offered to take a few to a range and see for themselves what shooting a firearm is like. No takers.

It should be a personal choice. And, I do not expect teacher swat. Lockdown, in classroom/ auditorium/ gymnasium breach, better to shoot back. And responding LE need to work and familiarize themselves with this faculty contingent.  Layers of the onion defense.

• Like 1

I think this can be effective just by keeping those teachers largely anonymous. It doesn't matter if any teachers are armed. The potential for an armed teacher to shoot back may be enough of a deterrent.

An armed teacher can be a hero even if they don't take down a gunman. Just shooting back can force a gunman to take cover, and these precious extra few mins can save lives as LEOs arrive.

• Like 4

Basically what I think trump is saying is if teachers want to arm themselves they should be allowed, it's not like the new school budgets are including G17's for every teacher to be issued.

100% Mrs. Hungry would gladly carry in school and several other teachers in the district have said they would also volunteer.  A couple of those teachers are former LEO that did their 20 got out and started a second career.  Some are former military.  Personally I'm all for it... just knowing that my wife could defend her kids (classroom) and more importantly herself gives me some comfort.  Plus, like some have mentioned, just knowing that any teacher, admin or support staff member could be armed is highly likely deterrent enough.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sevenshot said:

I think this can be effective just by keeping those teachers largely anonymous. It doesn't matter if any teachers are armed. The potential for an armed teacher to shoot back may be enough of a deterrent.

An armed teacher can be a hero even if they don't take down a gunman. Just shooting back can force a gunman to take cover, and these precious extra few mins can save lives as LEOs arrive.

Correct. In one of the shootings as soon as LE showed up and confronted him he went and hid then put a bullet in his own head. 

3 hours ago, rtquig said:

One of the concerns I have is that a LEO can't know all the teachers that are carrying and shoot one by accident thinking they are the bad guy.

How many teachers are young males carrying a AR15, a bunch of mags and a wearing a tactical vest in the hallways?

How do you or the police know what a shooter is carrying. Just because recent shootings have an AR 15 used, the majority of them didn't. You are looking at Parkland Fla. and not at other mass school shootings.  How many different guns used in the NewTown shooting were first reported?  All a LEO knows at first is that there is an active shooter. The first descriptions of the shooter and gun used usually turns out to be something different in the confusion.

As I stated, I work in a district with 7 high schools. I can be at any one of the schools on a given day.  I have worked for this district for a year now and before that worked 3 years in 2 other districts at the same time. I wouldn't pretend to know who all the teachers are. Last week I worked at a school that had two teachers in a classroom. I though my fellow teacher was a student as he was so young looking, and asked him why is he going through the drawers in a teachers desk. 

Earlier in the week when I had a prep period at another school, I was asked to take over a class where the teacher was sick and needed to go home. When I entered the room, I look around and finally said "where did the teacher go"? As it turns out, She was 5 feet from me, both arms had a lot of tattoos. She had shorts on, and my guess could have been 22 or 23 but could easily have passed for a student.

I myself would like to see a CCW for teachers, but a lot, and I mean a lot of training is needed, not some 40 hour course.

3 minutes ago, this_is_nascar said:

Just read that Cherry Hill will start having armed LE at all their schools, starting on Monday.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

The districts that I first worked at had Local Police everyday and parked near the front entrance to show their presence. That was only at the high schools, the other schools had ex-police in plane cloths that would visit the middles schools and lower grade schools during the day, but did not stay posted there.

LE has been in Evesham schools as long as my kids have been in school(middle and elementary). Almost 10 years. Always see a police vehicle parked outside. 

Evesham now has a job listing on their Facebook page looking for retired LE to work in the schools. $35 an hour. 

4 hours ago, DaddyNick said:

LE has been in Evesham schools as long as my kids have been in school(middle and elementary). Almost 10 years. Always see a police vehicle parked outside. 

Evesham now has a job listing on their Facebook page looking for retired LE to work in the schools. $35 an hour. 

And here lies a problem. Once you retire and collect your pension, you are only allowed to work 4 days a week and earn under a certain amount of what the pension board allows. I worked municipal, different name of Police and Fire, School teachers, and County workers. While all 4 have different names, they still consider you under the same so called roof. I am only allowed to work 4 days a week in my school district and work another day in another district. You can work as much as you want if the job is not under a state pension. But, depending on when you retired, the rules may or may not apply to you.