Scorpio64

Power Outage Map

4 hours ago, NJSigfan said:

So I live near Clinton in a development that barely 20 years old.  We have no above ground wiring and no where near what others would consider the “boonies”.  

Cable has been out since Friday am, power mid Friday afternoon.  Estimates from say 1:30 today and Tuesday after respectively.

for us it wasn’t the actual storm but the sheer number of trees that took out wires and transformer boxes in neighboring areas.  What irks me is we still have friends and family with streets blocked from down wires and trees.  People literally can not get off their streets/driveway to get food.  How is that even acceptable in this day and age?

The problem is the DPW workers can't clear the down trees if there are wires down with them. SOP is wait for JCP&L to say it's clear then the tree guys can do their thing.

This sucks for the people stuck in their houses but it's a safety issue. After Sandy I had wires down all over my cars and I knew they were power lines. I used a voltage tester to make sure they were dead and cut them off so I could get out.

2 hours ago, brucin said:

The problem is the DPW workers can't clear the down trees if there are wires down with them. SOP is wait for JCP&L to say it's clear then the tree guys can do their thing.

This sucks for the people stuck in their houses but it's a safety issue. After Sandy I had wires down all over my cars and I knew they were power lines. I used a voltage tester to make sure they were dead and cut them off so I could get out.

brucin

i totally get that the DPW can't clear them without the all clear from Jcpl, but where going on day 2 and still not even a sign of Jcpl.  There are two trees down on race street and the home put up orange cones trying to alert drivers...nothing from dpw or Jcpl.

to add insult to injury Jcpl just updated their estimates from Tuesday 11:59pm to wednesday 11:59.  Its unreal how ill-prepared they were for this storm.

48 minutes ago, NJSigfan said:

brucin

i totally get that the DPW can't clear them without the all clear from Jcpl, but where going on day 2 and still not even a sign of Jcpl.  There are two trees down on race street and the home put up orange cones trying to alert drivers...nothing from dpw or Jcpl.

to add insult to injury Jcpl just updated their estimates from Tuesday 11:59pm to wednesday 11:59.  Its unreal how ill-prepared they were for this storm.

I completely understand your frustration with JCP&L. They are terrible with their repair estimates. This may go back to Sandy when they told me every day 24 hours and it stretched out to 2 weeks. Now they just put up assessing damage or give you a time and then change it as that time approaches.

We had power go out at the DPW yard around 5 PM Friday. Crews showed within the hour and had power restored by 8 PM. This may be due to the fact that the water supply pumps for a majority of the town are located there. JCP&L takes better care of the commercial level customers than they do their residential customers.

When I was working for North Jersey Media/Gannett during Sandy NJM/Gannett lost power for 2 days. White Meadow Lake neighborhood in Rockaway which can be seen from the NJM/Gannett parking lot was out for 21 days.

We had 2 crews out to clear trees from the roads. They were allowed to assess the situation on site and if they knew the wires were just cable or phone they cleared the road. Going to be picking up a lot of wood tomorrow.

9 hours ago, NJSigfan said:

for us it wasn’t the actual storm but the sheer number of trees that took out wires and transformer boxes in neighboring areas.  What irks me is we still have friends and family with streets blocked from down wires and trees.  People literally can not get off their streets/driveway to get food.  How is that even acceptable in this day and age?

Wait, there was a least a day or two notice that this storm was going to be bad. Your neighbors don't have a least a few days worth of food in their house to survive situations like this?

I'm shocked...

How is that even acceptable in this day and age?

• Like 1

brucin

JCP&L is staging in the parking lot of the McDonalds on Route 31 in Washington. Or at least that's where I just saw them tonight :-)

I also live near Clinton. Today and yesterday the major traffic lights at 173/Main St/Rt 78 were out. No sign of cops directing traffic anywhere. Surprised there werent any accidents at that intersection (that I know of).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

Wait, there was a least a day or two notice that this storm was going to be bad. Your neighbors don't have a least a few days worth of food in their house to survive situations like this?

I'm shocked...

I didn't say they didn't have food...they prepared for the storm but realistically how much food/gas do people really keep on hand?  People are neighborly and helping each other but I had 12 gallons of gas and burned thru that before 4pm today.  Decently stocked frig and pantry plus a 2nd frig in the garage and we've already put a healthy dent in it.  If you have more than 4 days of food stores I applaud you.  

In the case of this family friend they can't get off their block.  Trees blocking both ends and still no sign of jcpl.  Like you said, there was at least a few days notice of this storm and it looks like jcpl didn't prepare correctly.  This storm was no where near the strength of sandy yet 60k residences are still in the dark...

1 hour ago, johnny_pierogi said:

I also live near Clinton. Today and yesterday the major traffic lights at 173/Main St/Rt 78 were out. No sign of cops directing traffic anywhere. Surprised there werent any accidents at that intersection (that I know of).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noticed that too...but they had it running by early this AM...

• Like 1

It's called a chainsaw.....

During Sandy we had a tree drop blocking the entrance to the neighborhood. ..no less than 5 guys with saws made quick work of it...no wires down?  Cut it up...stove wood.....  sheesh...lol

18 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

I'm shocked...

this day and age?

way back in the 70's when i was a teen....my grandmom ALWAYS had at LEAST a months worth of canned food ahead. enough to feed all of us. there were 5 of us in the house.

5 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

It's called a chainsaw.....

During Sandy we had a tree drop blocking the entrance to the neighborhood. ..no less than 5 guys with saws made quick work of it...no wires down?  Cut it up...stove wood.....  sheesh...lol

there's at least 3 of us that run wood stoves on my street. one guy runs 2 of them 24/7 during the winter. we'd either be fighting over the wood or splitting it amongst ourselves. pun intended. :)

• Like 3

16 hours ago, NJSigfan said:

I didn't say they didn't have food...they prepared for the storm but realistically how much food/gas do people really keep on hand?    If you have more than 4 days of food stores I applaud you.  

4 days of food is considered "prepared"??   Keeping 4 days worth is an excessive amount to keep on hand??

I'm still shocked... even more now....

• Like 1

Whaaaa?

Dude, I have at least 7 days of food just from food shopping every week. 

THEN probably another 1-2 weeks of non perishables of canned food and other stuff. We hit Costco once a month and bulk buy meats and fish, and freeze. 

4 days of food isn't even prepared for a normal week, let alone an impending disaster.

• Like 1

Power was restored earlier today....friends up the street are still out and were told today to not expect it until Friday..

as for for food, I know most people have food for 7 days  just from basic shopping but most of that food is usually dependent on power for the frig.

i think people are missing the point I was trying to make...with less than 10% of residences impacted, to me it’s unacceptable for a utility company to take 5+ days declare roads safe for crews to clear them.

Power came back on last night, we'd been out about 56 hours in our corner of Morris County.   Unfortunately, we'd already opted to pass on a nonrefundable ski weekend in Vermont, so I could stay home and keep the generator running the chest freezer and fridge/freezer.    

House got down to 49 degrees, and the furnace didn't come back after the outage, so we'll have a cold, well-lit house for a few more days.     Lots of outside cleanup to do, too, and the town doesn't do brush/limb pickup.

Hi guys, back on after a week without power.  Town is a total disaster, 98% went without power, still have over 300 out with full restoration not expected for four more days (14th).  No problems as we have genny and been self-sufficient prepared for years.  This was the third time for a week or more. "Sandy" was 13 days.  This time we had no services of any kind, electric, phone, or cable.  Happy to say with over 2 dozen trees down, no damage to house, close, but no cigar. Just some damage to the chicken yard.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zeke said:

For you that lost power in the last 2 storms. We are in a post sandy era, do you honestly feel the electric infrastructure is going to become more reliable in the near future?

i didn't have issues caused by sandy. my answer to your question though? no. no it is not. a nice size chunk of cherry hill had no power from the last 2. my area of the town i live in lost power for a few hours. we didn't lose power this often back in the 70's.......

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

we didn't lose power this often back in the 70's.......

Back in the 70's our infrastructure was set up to survive a nuclear war.  Utilities were held to a much higher standard too.  Now it's all about how many more pennies they can screw us out of while providing the minimal acceptable quality of service.

• Like 1

In the 80’s along with the deregulation of many industries, airlines, banking, trucking and more, So were the utility companies. No longer were they to answer to The Board of Public Utilities for their rates and actions. Most of those industries that were deregulated have turned into giant corporate monopolizing money thieving pigs. But hey, I’m not bitter. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Zeke said:

For you that lost power in the last 2 storms. We are in a post sandy era, do you honestly feel the electric infrastructure is going to become more reliable in the near future?

No and wait for the big one

E.   M.    P

It will be the 1800's

On 3/10/2018 at 9:22 AM, 10X said:

Power came back on last night, we'd been out about 56 hours in our corner of Morris County.   Unfortunately, we'd already opted to pass on a nonrefundable ski weekend in Vermont, so I could stay home and keep the generator running the chest freezer and fridge/freezer.    

House got down to 49 degrees, and the furnace didn't come back after the outage, so we'll have a cold, well-lit house for a few more days.     Lots of outside cleanup to do, too, and the town doesn't do brush/limb pickup.

The generator should have spooled up the furnace.....  have a fireplace?  Put a woodstove insert in....no stove or fireplace?   Get one.

We use ours for augmented heat 4.5 cords a year....  and when the power was is out heat primary and cooking on it.....something about a one pot meal made on a woodstove....