Scorpio64

Power Outage Map

25 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

The generator should have spooled up the furnace.....  have a fireplace?  Put a woodstove insert in....no stove or fireplace?   Get one.

We use ours for augmented heat 4.5 cords a year....  and when the power was is out heat primary and cooking on it.....something about a one pot meal made on a woodstove....  

that's part of why i got a woodstove. even without electric, i can heat my house. i don't need it to cook, 'cause my stove's gas.

when i got home to no electric, i got the genny fired up, and could run pretty close to my whole house off of it.

• Like 2

This past summer I called PSEG to report tree branches resting on our power line. My block the poles and lines are on a easement between everyone’s back yard. Within an hour a guy came out. I pointed out my back yard, as well as the entire block. No bucket truck access ,so it’s been neglected for years... 2 weeks later a tree crew came and cleared. Just my lot. 

Lol, 3 lots to the left, and 4 to the right untouched. Because it’s too hard?

Thats when I knew our grid is only going to get worse. We had investigating and committees after sandy, and now are proposing more investigation and committees after these storms. It’s actually disturbing how impotent our state government is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

Lol, 3 lots to the left, and 4 to the right untouched. Because it cuts into PSE&Gs bottom line?

Fixed that for ya.

After sandy the power line going to my house had become detached from the stress relief retainer on my house.  It took First Energy two years t get around to fixing it.

21 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Fixed that for ya.

After sandy the power line going to my house had become detached from the stress relief retainer on my house.  It took First Energy two years t get around to fixing it.

I’ll call PSEG again at least all have documentation. See sumtin say sumtin....

lmao

• Like 1

Was without power 150 hours, and didnt get internet back til 2 hours ago.

Having a generator is great, until trees fall on the road and wires at both ends of your property and remove any way of driving anywhere for 3 days. Or getting more gas.

Over 20 trees down within 300ft of the house.

Fuck winter.

1 hour ago, Malice4you said:

Having a generator is great, until trees fall on the road and wires at both ends of your property and remove any way of driving anywhere for 3 days. Or getting more gas.

Fuck winter.

I think winter is going to drive more of us out on NJ, than Murphy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Malice4you said:

Fuck winter.

150hrs ...that' 6.25 days.....with proper fuel management ....I used 6 gallons per day.....that's 36 gallons.

I have 35 gallons on hand with stabil ready to go.  And that is not even considering a trifuel option with propane....

My neighbor ran a generator all night without one light on....  I have one large freezer and one fridge....  place two bags of block ice in each for the overnight....and off generator times....temps held.  Now that' in winter with a cooler house summer maybe not....but it can be done.

What happens when the big one comes....?  You need imo to reassess the self sufficiency options available to you....

You can easily survive running generators 10-12 hours a day.  Freezers  and frigs only need 4-6 hours, twice a day to survive.  Heat depends on weather, this time about 12 hours a day.  Always have 5 days on hand minimum.  You need a backup plan for the genny also in case of failure.  Spend the money for a good genny, you did for that AR and I bet the genny gets more use on average.  I have done four or five houses on 3 gennys during Sandy.  Takes a bit of work and thought, but can be done!.

• Like 2