Sign in to follow this  
maintenanceguy

NRA Instructor Interested in Swapping Qualifications for NJ CCW

I intend to apply and be denied for my NJ carry permit.  I don't have a local PD and have to apply to the NJSP.  I talked to the NJSP Firearms Investigation Unit and they require that qualification scores be submitted with the application.  They did not seem to know what specific course of fire was required but said the regular NRA course of fire would be fine.  There really is no "regular NRA course of fire" for this.  I have taken classes where I had to shoot and I had to qualify to become an NRA instructor but I don't have scores on paper in any format that I could submit.

I would like to shoot the NRA Marksmanship Qualification and need another NRA instructor sign off.  I figured that, if there was another NRA instructor interested in the same thing, we could meet at your range or mine and spend half a day qualifying each other.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, maintenanceguy said:

I intend to apply and be denied for my NJ carry permit.  I don't have a local PD and have to apply to the NJSP.  I talked to the NJSP Firearms Investigation Unit and they require that qualification scores be submitted with the application.  They did not seem to know what specific course of fire was required but said the regular NRA course of fire would be fine.  There really is no "regular NRA course of fire" for this.  I have taken classes where I had to shoot and I had to qualify to become an NRA instructor but I don't have scores on paper in any format that I could submit.

I would like to shoot the NRA Marksmanship Qualification and need another NRA instructor sign off.  I figured that, if there was another NRA instructor interested in the same thing, we could meet at your range or mine and spend half a day qualifying each other.

I’m waiting to hear back from @GRIZ about this.

Never heard of asking for quals first. Never asked me but that was back in the mid 90’s.... once court granted, then I had to qual.

I apologize if I misunderstood the question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm an NRA instructor and can help with the NRA marksmanship qualification.   For Jersey carry they want to see level 1 and level 2 pistol training and qualify on a FBI Q target at lease 90% at 7yds.  NJ State policy is 60% passing but officers and agencies are encouraged to shoot at 90% or better.  If you're an instructor you had to qualify at 20yds 1inch group without missing,  so carry qual should be easy.   Level 2 pistol training is what you'll need, in addition to your NRA instructor course.

6 minutes ago, enracaed said:

I'm an NRA instructor and can help with the NRA marksmanship qualification.   For Jersey carry they want to see level 1 and level 2 pistol training and qualify on a FBI Q target at lease 90% at 7yds.  NJ State policy is 60% passing but officers and agencies are encouraged to shoot at 90% or better.  If you're an instructor you had to qualify at 20yds 1inch group without missing,  so carry qual should be easy.   Level 2 pistol training is what you'll need, in addition to your NRA instructor course.

NJ is 80% for LEOs.  Confused a bit.

20 minutes ago, enracaed said:

The statute and administrative code don't say what course of fire is required.  I called the NJSP Firearms Investigation Unit and talked to the guy who does the approvals (or denials).  The statute requires that the applicant demonstrate familiarity with a handgun.  The administrative code lists 4 methods of proving "familiarity" with handguns.  I called to find out exactly what was required.  More info about my conversation with the NJSP here:

Since it doesn't seem that there is a specific, required course of fire, I figured the NRA Marksmanship qualification would be as good as any.

Some of the above relating to qualification  requirements might be erroneous.  NJ State Police standards call for minimum of 80 percent for both HQ1 or HQ2 in addition to required night course of fire which is now required with the use of hand held or gun mounted lights for RPO semi annual qualifications. This course goes from retention out to 25 yds.  (or as the state lists it 25 yd course of fire down to retention phase of fire).Recommend you do the exact course of fire so they cannot run you around the block on other types of courses of fire. If you need assistance with this send me a message.I am also in south jersey and depending on how far down you are may be able to help you out. I have had people want to submit the NRA defensive pistol quals  and the basic pistol quals and they had to come back and they then submitted the NJSP course of fire which was accepted just not sure how far they got in the process. Good luck.