Lambo2936

Alternative 22 tacticool Rifle to a MP15-22

Hey all. I'm young and enjoy my tacticool rifles. I have an MP15-22 but would like to pick up another plinker that's tacticool. Any suggestions for something relatively inexpensive? Maybe a 10/22 with a body kit? Love my MP15-22, thought about getting another because the one i have is the pumpkin orange crap that my fiance wanted. Maybe a plain black one i can deck out with flashlights and lasers and sights that cost 3x the price of the rifle.. have an extra EO and ACOG.. LOL
Thanks

Mine (gsg 522 sd) isn't very reliable. It is a huge pain to fully clean, and it doesn't like getting dirty, so you have to clean it often.

When it runs, it is a really fun gun. But as soon as it gets dirty, mine will start to have problems.

If you get one, run the cleanest burning HV ammo you can find. Pick up real HK push pins. Replace the stock. See if you can find the old style HK-style parts kit GSG made. That way it at least looks cool on the bench where you toss it in disgust after it decides to not fire a bunch of rounds in a row.

I have a love/hate relationship with mine, as you can probably tell. If it had all these problems but was easy to clean, i wouldn't care. But disassembling the damn thing - i'm sure there are videos out there, watch one before buying, and realize you'll be doing that every couple hundred rounds if you want it to run reliably.

Awesome, thanks guys. I'm out of the country for my sisters wedding but i'll certainly be looking into all of those.I've heard about the GSG-522 but have also heard conflicting reviews, which is why i don't already have one for the few hundred bucks it costs. Was hoping for a similarly priced, yet more reliable firearm. I Use my 15-22 a lot for new shooters and such but TBH it generally won't get more than 200-300 rounds through it before a cleaning (I try to clean them every 2 or 3 range trips. Generally put about 100rds through it on a single range trip assuming its me and one other person). Nonetheless, it isn't really an issue i'm looking forward to dealing with; takes the fun out of shooting when you have malfunctions.
Thanks again :)

I have a GSG5... pre-lawsuit. Love the gun. But I also swapped furniture out for H&K parts, so it is freaking heavy (MP5 solid stocks are heavy)!

While I had no issue trading my 10/22 Takedown for my TAC-14, don’t think I could get rid of the GSG5. H&K slap is just too much fun (I do have a buffer to protect the handle).

• Like 1

Not to change the subject here but as someone who is about to move to NJ, I've been reading all over these forums and I was told that my M1 carbine tribute 10-22's are banned by being significantly identical to a banned firearm? I even went to several NJ gun shops to see if I could buy one and was told the same thing? If the M1 Carbine tribute stocked 10-22 is banned, then how is an AK looking version allowed? Am I missing something?  I was pretty much told to either leave the Ruger's here in PA or dump them before I make my move to Jersey. This is basically what I have but mine were bought as fully assembled guns brand new: https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/5123

Mine has a dummy look a like magazine that conceals a stock 10 round Ruger 10/22 mag in the tip. Its nothing but a stock 10-22 in costume to look like an M1 Carbine.

I could swear I have seen where there was a ruling once that they were substantial identical and not allowed. I believe it was around the time of the Kahr debacle. M1 Carbine ban doesn't follow the rules of what it is marked on receiver. If it did the Iver Johnson carbine NOT MARKED M1 would be NJ legal.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

If they ARE legal, ill buy one.. just lmk if ya get it squared away.

that said, i hate to suggest this but given that youve exhausted other resources, maybe contact the NJSP firearms squad?

IMO if its marked 10/22 its a 10/22. Just my opinion.

I could swear I have seen where there was a ruling once that they were substantial identical and not allowed. I believe it was around the time of the Kahr debacle. M1 Carbine ban doesn't follow the rules of what it is marked on receiver. If it did the Iver Johnson carbine NOT MARKED M1 would be NJ legal.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The Rugers?

I’ve seen them a quite a few dealers in NJ. I do know some of those other caliber M1 Carbines (9mm, if I remember correctly), were deemed as “assault weapons.”

Biggest identical situation I heard was that MA AG who redefined what was included as identical... making all ARs covered, and not just things like Colt’s marked “AR-15.” Was after that Florida nightclub shooting.

3 hours ago, My1stGlock said:

Lambo check this posting by TheMan. This GSG is pimped out...

Thanks for sharing.
Seen it, made what i thought was a reasonable offer the weekend before the ban of f2f private sales... lol. Not willing to pay a ton of extra $$ because its some anniversary edition. Gona beat it up anyways lol.