bry@n

SW 3913 Tactical

Good morning everyone. 

So so my buddy is looking to sell a S&W Tactical 3913. He shot less than 300 rounds through it. He purchased it years ago and never shot it because it hurt his hand. I believe this because he’s not a gun guy. 

Im looking for a reasonable number to give him. Book seems $300’s and they seem to be going close to $500+ on gunbroker. Don’t know a lot about these SW’s but I think the gun is cool. 

Any info about the gun, value, collectability would be helpful. Actual pic below. 

FD62D31A-3E45-47CB-BA87-A9CBB4CAAB01.jpeg

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usconcealedcarry.com/smith-wesson-3913-tsw-proven-performer/amp/

How many mags?

Some would say sIngle stack 9mm....eh......

Grabbed a very nice 39-2 with 4 mags....  275....

500 plus I think is over priced...for what it is.....

350ish youll find some players for it imo

I've always wanted one of these with the rail.  Great guns from all I hear.  

I agree with the above, 350ish will garner some attention.  Especially given that it doesn't have the rail.  

On 3/4/2018 at 6:12 PM, USRifle30Cal said:

ps I would take it over a glock any day. ...

No, the magazine disconnect and controls on the slide ruin the deal for me.  Unless the magazine disconnect has been removed AND the slide controls are decocker only and ambi.

• Like 1

When I got hired we carried the railed TSW4013 (same gun but in .40). Many cracked frames, many broken internal parts, all armorer work to fix them required hand fitting parts - tedious and often ended in wasted parts, the magazine only held 9 rounds, awful slide mounted decocker and safety, the sights were mediocre at best, duty holsters were impossible to find..... blech....

5 years later we went to Glock 22s.

Glocks are light years ahead of the TSW series in reliability, longevity, and shootability.

9 hours ago, High Exposure said:

When I got hired we carried the railed TSW4013 (same gun but in .40). Many cracked frames, many broken internal parts, all armorer work to fix them required hand fitting parts - tedious and often ended in wasted parts, the magazine only held 9 rounds, awful slide mounted decocker and safety, the sights were mediocre at best, duty holsters were impossible to find..... blech....

Glocks are light years ahead of the TSW series in reliability, longevity, and shootability.

Your cannot discount real world experience. ....  I do know that the 45 series was fielded by ft Lee for years with no real issues. ..

I have a second hand duty gun 4516 that I have put a mix and match of all kinds of 45 through 1200 rnds? Plus or minus without a hiccup and at self defense ranges is very very accurate 

the 39-2 same deal. ....not an ex duty gun....but nonetheless shoots like a laser beam.

That being said, the smith' fit me better than any glock I have ever handled.....  my 26 is nice small light...but do 10 rounds of 9mm make a differnce to 8 rounds of 45...albeit in a heavier firearm but to me handles better than the glock?  Dunno

To each his own....  but then again I am not in a stack and those that negate real world experiences are foolish.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, High Exposure said:

@High Exposure the problems you note did exist with 40s.  Not in 9s.  That's what happens when you take a design and use it for a more powerful cartridge than it was originally designed.  Just as one can't expect the same durability from N, L, K, and J frame 357s.

The were only 2 recurring issues I experienced with this design.  Recoil springs needed to be changed every 3000 rds or so.  People would invert the slide during cleaning, slop solvent over the interior, and just wipe it down.  The solvent would wash all the crap into the firing pin channel and could eventually lock up the firing pin.  The same can happen to Glocks.

"Tactical" was all sales pitch then as it usually is now.

You want smaller, you give up capacity.  The slide mounted safety/decocker was used by just about all manufacturers through the 90s.

I do agree with that last statement though :)

3 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Don't get me wrong, it is a cool gun.  But, as far as anything but a range gun or safe queen it is just not up to par. 

@Ray Ray I'll disagree with that.  If the gun runs fine it runs fine.  I've got a wartime Walther PP I have no reservation carrying for social purposes. I've also got a 469 and 659 from the middle 80s that can fill that role as well.

Yeah, I know, I'm just an old guy who can feel okay with a 6 shot 357 too.  It's not the tool but the user.  I'm in total agreement with Musashi when he says, "You shouldn't have a favorite weapon".

• Like 1

Yeah, I know, I'm just an old guy who can feel okay with a 6 shot 357 too.  It's not the tool but the user.  I'm in total agreement with Musashi when he says, "You shouldn't have a favorite weapon".

Yep - Should be able to pick up anything, wipe the blood off and put it to work.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old School said:

Yep - Should be able to pick up anything, wipe the blood off and put it to work.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GRIZ said:

@Ray Ray I'll disagree with that.  If the gun runs fine it runs fine.  I've got a wartime Walther PP I have no reservation carrying for social purposes. I've also got a 469 and 659 from the middle 80s that can fill that role as well.

If it's all you got, then rock it.  But with the current state of affairs in the firearms community there are a plethora of handguns that will have better controls, higher capacity, better reliability, lighter weight, better sights, cheaper price, a rail and no magazine disconnect safety.

1 hour ago, Ray Ray said:

If it's all you got, then rock it.  But with the current state of affairs in the firearms community there are a plethora of handguns that will have better controls, higher capacity, better reliability, lighter weight, better sights, cheaper price, a rail and no magazine disconnect safety.

True Ray.  All those things you list can be worked around except reliability. One needs to be concerned with all of them if you're picking a gun for general issue to the troops.

Outside of the military I started carrying semiautomatics back in the 70s.  The first thing most would comment on is reliability.  I was satisfied with the reliability of those guns I carried back then.  None of them were as reliable as a Glock.  However I have no issues carrying one of those guns today.

@USRifle30Cal thanks for posting that video.  Clint said basically what Musashi said about 400 years ago.

Read Audie Murphy's MOH citation.  He fought with what he had.  Artillery, a Ma Deuce, and his personal weapon.  His personal weapon?  What many would say an inadequate weapon, a M1 Carbine.  He still managed to kill about 50 enemy soldiers and break up their attack.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Wise man, I've been saying that for ever.  I own an Ak, I hate it never shoot it.  But it's a training tool.  Gotta know how to use it.  The ladies in my life need to know how to run it and I need to know how to fix it.  The handguns in my life are striker fire or equivalent.  All the girls have to know is where the bang switch is. Touch it and it barks otherwise it's safe. Both have trained extensively on AR's but the AK platform is significantly different.

Too much I like this or I like that.  Yeah, some hammers or screw drivers may fit your hand better.  But you tell Uncle Sam "oh this rifle doesn't fit me" or "the trigger sux".  

• Like 1

On 3/7/2018 at 7:19 AM, Old School said:

Wise man, I've been saying that for ever.  I own an Ak, I hate it never shoot it.  But it's a training tool.  Gotta know how to use it.  The ladies in my life need to know how to run it and I need to know how to fix it.  The handguns in my life are striker fire or equivalent.  All the girls have to know is where the bang switch is. Touch it and it barks otherwise it's safe. Both have trained extensively on AR's but the AK platform is significantly different.

Nobody is invading South Carolina.

Nobody is invading South Carolina using an AK.

BUT

If you plan to use a "battlefield pickup", it will probably be an M16, M4 or MP5 if you really think about it.