Katie Park

Newspaper reporter looking to interview a subject for a story...

Hi, 

I am looking to speak with a subject, preferably someone who lives in Monmouth or Ocean counties, who was seriously considering buying any kind of firearm prior to Feb. 14, the date of the shooting in Parkland, Florida. Did that shooting -- and the subsequent heated debate on gun control -- make you want to buy a gun more, or did it reverse your decision to buy? I'd also like to know for which purpose(s) you would use the gun. If you fit this profile, please contact me, even if you don't live in Monmouth or Ocean counties -- although I ask that you do live somewhere in New Jersey. 

You can contact me here, or at 908-801-4853. Please contact me by Thursday, March 8, 2018, at the latest. Thank you. 

Katie

@Zeke, I'm with The Asbury Park Press. @stuckinNJ, sorry you feel the story won't be objective. To clarify for you, and for others, my intention is to research and write a story that takes a potential firearm consumer through the experience of buying a gun. I'll be commenting and hopefully be speaking with a few of you, so if you feel there is "spin" while we speak during interviews or while you read the story, please let me know. 

2 minutes ago, Katie Park said:

@Zeke, I'm with The Asbury Park Press. @stuckinNJ, sorry you feel the story won't be objective. To clarify for you, and for others, my intention is to research and write a story that takes a potential firearm consumer through the experience of buying a gun. I'll be commenting and hopefully be speaking with a few of you, so if you feel there is "spin" while we speak during interviews or while you read the story, please let me know. 

Have you applied to purchase a firearm in this state? 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, stuckinNJ said:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/katherinespark

https://www.app.com/staff/10052538/katie-park/

looks like Aspury Park Press.

Proceed with caution, folks. Chances are, the spin will be very anti...

Maybe....  But maybe this is a good opportunity to educate this young reporter on some of the many things we feel the media misrepresents (Intentionally or not) because they are not in the sport like we are.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Katie Park said:

Hello Katie.  You should try the process yourself for a real hands on experience. No better way than to live the experience!

eta: you don't actually have to purchase the gun but do the process anyway just to get the permit

• Like 6

Just now, Katie Park said:

@siderman, I'm planning on going to a local gun shop and also a shooting range, if time permits, as part of this story. While I won't be buying a gun in the next week while I do this piece for work, I feel like this will certainly be educational, not only to me, but to others who read this. 

You would be lucky to purchase a gun in a few months in most towns.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Katie Park said:

@siderman, I'm planning on going to a local gun shop and also a shooting range, if time permits, as part of this story. While I won't be buying a gun in the next week while I do this piece for work, I feel like this will certainly be educational, not only to me, but to others who read this. 

Unfortunately. You have many other things to do before gun shops will even let you hold a gun. I would suggest you begin the process to purchase a firearm. That permit will not make you “ pull the trigger “ so to speak , in actually acquiring a firearm. If you have questions about N.J. permitting process, please ask here.

@Smokin .50 is a great resource - maybe try him.

@remixer is a firearms retailer in Monmouth County - Also a great source.

Don't forget Garden State Shooting Center - a lot of the owners/staff are part of the forums.

I'm not in Monmouth/Ocean county so I can't help you there... but I did just purchase a firearm post 2/14.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stuckinNJ said:

Someone here should offer to take her shooting. I’d actually do it, but I’m out of town this week.

The sheer ignorance of many in NJ when it comes to firearms is truly staggering.

@Katie Park the 2 groups mentioned above certainly would entertain a new shooter as yourself.

39 minutes ago, Katie Park said:

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but the APP has shown it's true "stripes" regarding this topic. I would love to see a non-biased article written in it, but based on past performance, I have my doubts. I personally wouldn't give a interview unless I could get a guarantee to approve the article before it's published. I wonder which editor at APP gets the final word on the content?

What actually amazes me about the APP is that it is primarily a Monmouth and Ocean paper, which are more Repub counties, and Middlesex that leans Dem, but the APP still decides to push it's left leaning liberal articles. I wonder when they'll finally figure that piece out?

• Like 2

[mention=3464]Smokin .50[/mention] is a great resource - maybe try him. [mention=3597]remixer[/mention] is a firearms retailer in Monmouth County - Also a great source. Don't forget Garden State Shooting Center - a lot of the owners/staff are part of the forums.

I'm not in Monmouth/Ocean county so I can't help you there... but I did just purchase a firearm post 2/14.

Being I am the Milsurp and Political Advisor for Monmouth Arms I would be happy to answer any questions. The shooting did not impact me one way or another for buying firearms. I am heading out the door to look at a Rifle and Pistol as I am typing this. Not sure why the shooting would impact anyone other than Panic Buying or someone who doesn't already own firearms wanting to arm themselves for protection against a psychotic killer.  

Edit I'm only kidding about the advisor part. It's a running joke. I have no connection to Monmouth Arms other than he is a great and responsible FFL. However he doesn't talk to the press after they way the stories were written regarding range suicides.

35 minutes ago, Katie Park said:

just go to your local pd and apply. that'll give you a good insight. don't tell them you're a reporter. just tell them you'd like the paperwork that's necessary to buy a handgun.

1 hour ago, Katie Park said:

Hi, 

I am looking to speak with a subject, preferably someone who lives in Monmouth or Ocean counties, who was seriously considering buying any kind of firearm prior to Feb. 14, the date of the shooting in Parkland, Florida. Did that shooting -- and the subsequent heated debate on gun control -- make you want to buy a gun more, or did it reverse your decision to buy? I'd also like to know for which purpose(s) you would use the gun. If you fit this profile, please contact me, even if you don't live in Monmouth or Ocean counties -- although I ask that you do live somewhere in New Jersey. 

You can contact me here, or at 908-801-4853. Please contact me by Thursday, March 8, 2018, at the latest. Thank you. 

Katie

Katie,

I'm Dave Rosenthal from the Coalition of New Jersey Firearm Owners.  We're the busiest organized gun group in NJ.  The Coalition has a Communications Director that's a single mom.  She's great at answering all of the questions you may have and can add the female perspective as well.  I'm going to pass your contact info to Theresa Inacker, so please expect an email or call shortly.  We look forward to providing you honest & accurate information for your story prior to your Thursday deadline.  Please do consider learning "the process" of what it takes to purchase a firearm in NJ, and do some homework on the provision that prevents NJ citizens from protecting themselves outside their homes (over 40 states currently allow citizens to carry) by going to:  http://www.JustifiableNeed.com .  And please check-out our website at:  http://www.cnjfo.com .  

We can arrange to have you shoot at a range close to you.  I can meet you at several ranges in the area as most are supporters and/or sponsors of the Coalition.  You'll have a plethora of gun owners in the range with you, and some might also be there for their first shots.  As a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer I can guarantee you'll have a great SAFE time!

Thanks for your inquiry!

David Rosenthal, VP

Coalition of New Jersey Firearm Owners (CNJFO)

http://www.cnjfo.com 

• Like 11

Katie:

I really applaud that you're trying to gather a full story with multiple viewpoints... that's not something we always see today! Increasingly, it's echo chambers. So kudos to you! :D

You're looking for a subject within a very narrow window though --- a person that's just come into the shooting sports, but doesn't even have a firearm yet, AND is preferably in those counties. Yikes! I'm sure the folks on here will try to find you someone who meets your exacting criteria, but if they don't, I do think it's very important that one or more perspectives from gun owners is included in your article. There's simply too much "vilifying" of gun owners that's taking place right now.

I consider myself to be a relatively new shooter - about 2 years in (and initially I only went once a month, so yeah, still very much a beginner). I bought my first gun AFTER Sandy Hook... and believe me, I did a "deep dive" into crime research, research into the causes of violence, and studied both sides of the issue both from the gun rights and gun control perspectives... suffice it to say, I felt wholly comfortable once I finally made a purchase. Sometimes I do chuckle about my own preconceived notions - my NRA firearms instructor was a retired teacher AND an ordained minister. Two years in, and the "gun nuts" I had been promised have not materialized quite yet! LOL.

I would ask that you please make sure you get the perspective from women gun owners - they're one of the fastest growing demographics of gun owners - and I think self-defense is definitely a reason for that. I personally view it as a very natural outgrowth of more women being single today than ever before, single women being more likely to be homeowners than single men, and women also being more likely to get child custody... for all of these reasons, women find themselves increasingly likely to be in the role of "protector" than in the past. Women's fast-growing rates of gun ownership is a natural extension of demographic changes. 

Do reach out to those other organizations listed above by other posters. I'd like to see you get the exact "subject" that you are looking for... particularly one in the geography of your readership. But if you come up short and simply can't find someone that fits your initial criteria, PM me. I might be willing to be your "backup plan". 

Best of luck!

Update: my thread was apparently crossing with Rosey's. My comment is: excellent, you're in good hands, he'll hook you up! Have fun at the range!

• Like 10

The only way that I'd speak to a writer for the APP is with a written contract that gives me the right of final edit. Think of this like Lucy holding the football for Charlie Brown.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 6

Ms. Park may indeed produce something that is not biased against  lawful firearms owners in NJ, but as others have said, the APP is strongly hard left these days. Started when it was sold to Gannett (Al Neuarth ran that at the time,VERY hard left).

So the editors will put the spin on it they wish, and I guarantee you it will be anti-gun and anti-gun owner when they are through with it.

• Like 1

I wish the focus would be more about the systemic failure of law enforcement in FL at every level- federal, county & local- which directly led to this shooting. They knew about this guy and did nothing to ensure he’d show up on a NICS as prohibited.

It blows my mind that people are demanding more laws, when the current ones on the books, which would have prevented this tragedy, were simply not enforced.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, BobA said:

@BobA, I'm assuming you already know this, but I figured I'd clarify for everyone else. The link above routes to a letter to the editor, submitted by a reader. It is not an article produced by an APP reporter or editor. 

• Like 1

Ms. Park I will warn you from what I know watching my wife at the range... it's going to be very overwhelming with a bunch of guys all trying to talk to you at the same time. Sometimes it's like it's the first time they ever saw a woman. If you want to go to the range and shoot for your first time find 1 person that you know and trust and go to an outdoor range on a weekday when it's not busy.

It takes a couple months before you can buy a gun in this state like said above, most think it's by design to deter people from buying in the first place. Lots of paperwork, fingerprints, references, money orders, driving around, etc... I don't think your going to find many people that are actually motivated by the Florida shooting to go through with all of that if they haven't already done it years ago. 

Just now, louu said:

Ms. Park I will warn you from what I know watching my wife at the range... it's going to be very overwhelming with a bunch of guys all trying to talk to you at the same time. Sometimes it's like it's the first time they ever saw a woman. If you want to go to the range and shoot for your first time find 1 person that you know and trust and go to an outdoor range on a weekday when it's not busy.

It takes a couple months before you can buy a gun in this state like said above, most think it's by design to deter people from buying in the first place. Lots of paperwork, fingerprints, references, money orders, driving around, etc... I don't think your going to find many people that are actually motivated by the Florida shooting to go through with all of that if they haven't already done it years ago. 

Well this couldn’t be further from the truth. I’ve been to a number of ranges in NJ and see women there all the time.

implying that Ms. Park will be surrounded by perverted guys is just obscene.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, stuckinNJ said:

I wish the focus would be more about the systemic failure of law enforcement in FL at every level- federal, county & local- which directly led to this shooting. They knew about this guy and did nothing to ensure he’d show up on a NICS as prohibited.

It blows my mind that people are demanding more laws, when the current ones on the books, which would have prevented this tragedy, were simply not enforced.

Quoted for best post on the forum!!! Truth brother 

• Like 2