Katie Park

Newspaper reporter looking to interview a subject for a story...

1 minute ago, stuckinNJ said:

Well this couldn’t be further from the truth. I’ve been to a number of ranges in NJ and see women there all the time.

implying that Ms. Park will be surrounded by perverted guys is just obscene.

Oh, I don't think Louu meant that at all! If anything, I've found that men trip over themselves trying to be helpful to a female shooter... but sometimes it's just easier when you're brand-new to have a single instructor's voice as you're learning. No worries though, the Comms Dir at CNJFO will handle it all smoothly, I'm sure!

Ms Parker:

While many here will be glad to help you and answer any questions you have, I, too, am in the camp that you should go trough the actuall  process to acquire a firearm. You don't actually have to buy but going trough that process will give an insight that only comes from actually doing it. 

Only then you can put to rest the notion you can buy a firearm in 5 minutes, only then you can put to rest the notion that's easier to buy a firearm that to buy a car, only then you get to experience how arbitrary and capricious the process can be, only then you may begin to realize that most of what you read about firearms is written by people have have absolutely no direct knowledge of the process.

I should warn you, though, you won't have the material next week, or next month, you'll have it when your local police department decides you should have it-state law be damned.

I sincerely whish you good luck and may this experience be educational.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Katie Park said:

@BobA, I'm assuming you already know this, but I figured I'd clarify for everyone else. The link above routes to a letter to the editor, submitted by a reader. It is not an article produced by an APP reporter or editor. 

I'm sorry but who is THOMAS P. COSTELLO? 

It reads like an article with the quote:

"Presidents have been assassinated, members of Congress have been shot and scores of innocent schoolchildren have been murdered in their classrooms. Regrettably, our elected officials inside the Beltway are highly unlikely to pass meaningful and comprehensive legislation to address the growing gun violence epidemic in our country.

When compared to other developed countries, America is at the top as measured by the number of guns per 100,000 people, number of mass shootings and firearm death rate." 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, louu said:

Ms. Park I will warn you from what I know watching my wife at the range... it's going to be very overwhelming with a bunch of guys all trying to talk to you at the same time. Sometimes it's like it's the first time they ever saw a woman.... 

Where do you go?  This has never happened at all when my wife goes to the range. 

This reporter definitely needs to talk with someone knowledgeable, as her comment "...buying a gun in the   next week..." is hilarious!  Depending on where she lives, she would be lucky to purchase one this year as a first time fpid applicant. Definitely pick a certified instructor for your first range trip. Enjoy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Katie Park said:

@siderman, I'm planning on going to a local gun shop and also a shooting range, if time permits, as part of this story. While I won't be buying a gun in the next week while I do this piece for work, I feel like this will certainly be educational, not only to me, but to others who read this. 

*Why not go through the application process yourself?

You would probably garner more interest by publishing more than just the one article if you went through the application process yourself. Additional follow up articles can be about the same process for other NJ residents of different counties and include interviews of several gun owners that state their background and occupation. It just strikes me as coincidental that every known left wing press is putting out a gun article since the FL shooting occurred.

Regards,

TokenEntry

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BobA said:

I'm sorry but who is THOMAS P. COSTELLO? 

It reads like an article with the quote:

"Presidents have been assassinated, members of Congress have been shot and scores of innocent schoolchildren have been murdered in their classrooms. Regrettably, our elected officials inside the Beltway are highly unlikely to pass meaningful and comprehensive legislation to address the growing gun violence epidemic in our country.

When compared to other developed countries, America is at the top as measured by the number of guns per 100,000 people, number of mass shootings and firearm death rate." 

Thomas Costello is a photographer for the APP. His name is with the video caption. The video is posted at the top of the page, as it's done with every other story and opinion piece on the APP website, but Tom had nothing to do with this written content.

This letter to the editor is opinion, submitted by a reader, Luke Stango. What Mr. Stango submitted to the APP was subsequently published. 

Thomas Costello is a photographer for the APP. His name is with the video caption. The video is posted at the top of the page, as it's done with every other story and opinion piece on the APP website, but Tom had nothing to do with this written content.
This letter to the editor is opinion, submitted by a reader, Luke Stango. What Mr. Stango submitted to the APP was subsequently published. 
Some people are on edge. Thank you for clarifying for them.

I do agree you should go through the process and look into the laws more.

I was at a BBQ a couple summers ago for my daughter's soccer team. Most there leaned left. The topic of firearms came up. One person who is very educated said firearms laws don't work in Chicago, because anyone can travel from Chicago to Indiana and buy a machine gun at Walmart.

After nearly spitting out my drink, I asked if he was serious; he was. When I informed him that no one anywhere in America can simply walk into Walmart and buy any fully automatic firearm he was surprised. When I told him the truth of the matter is a $200 Federal Tax Stamp is needed to buy any full auto firearm, the firearm had to be made and registered prior to 1986, and they are not sold in Walmart since they run between $20,000 for a AK-47 to $60,000 for a M16 he was shocked.

He then asked how do gang members in Chicago get full auto weapons? I told him I am not positive, but my friend who is a Jersey City Narcotics officer said they take at least one newer full auto firearm off the street per month. He said a full auto AK-47 sells for $1,500 on the street. They are being imported with the drugs. This tells me no matter what laws are passed criminals will always have whatever firearms they want. Funny thing about criminals is they tend to not follow the law.

For the record I did not purchase any firearms this evening. The seller did not know the difference between matching and non matching.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ms. Park,

Based on your statement, I doubt you intend to buy a gun anytime soon. Nor should you if that is just not your thing! The reason so many in this thread want you to try to buy one is so you would see with your own eyes, the scrutiny NJ puts every legal gun buyer through!

In a nutshell, you have to go to your hometown PD and request a packet of forms. You must fill out all of the forms and supply two people as character references and they WILL be contacted. You must do an online mental health check which you pay for and you sign a release for the state to look for ANY mental health issues you have EVER had. You must make an appointment to be fingerprinted at your expense and fill out whatever other forms your town requires. Once the forms are completed and turned in to the PD, they will conduct an EXTENSIVE criminal and mental background check on you that could take time. The Chief of police may call you in to interview you if he wishes. The chief may, at his discretion, approve or disapprove your application. In about a month or for most towns many months you get a permit to buy a rifle or shotgun called the NJ firearms ID card.

You must go through the entire above process EVERY time you apply for a permit to buy a handgun!  Even then, they expire in 90 days, can be extended to 120 day with the chiefs approval. Each handgun permit is only good for ONE handgun and you are limited to only ONE handgun purchase in any 30 day period.

Oh, and when you purchase any gun, you also have to fill out forms for each gun AND pay for a NICS check, yet another criminal background check, which must be approved by the State Police before you can take your new gun home!  

Our new Governor wants to make it even harder for the legal gun owners in NJ! All the new restrictions and laws never have an effect on crime since only the law abiding gun owners will follow them and they are NOT the one's committing the crimes!

The laws and restrictions were there in Florida but the government on many levels did not enforce them. THEY are just as responsible for those children's deaths as the shooter himself. So the answer that the left NEVER wants to hear is, It's NOT ABOUT THE GUN! It's not about new feel good laws that will do NOTHING to prevent these shootings in the future! It's about actively enforcing the laws already on the books and punishing the criminals for once and leave the honest, law abiding gun owners alone! 

• Like 12

Since we have a reporter on here and I just got done listening to one of the kids from Florida telling President Trump that Australia banned the AR-15 after their school shooting in 1999 and they haven't had another one since.

I would like to present the facts since those who want to take away firearms love referencing Australia. One the killing he was referring to was not at a school and was not in 1999. It was the Port Arthur Massacre in 1996. Two Australia did not have a mass school shooting prior to Port Arthur either. Three Australia has had at least 3 mass shootings since Port Arthur. Four Australia has had multiple mass massacres caused by arson, knives, and vehicles since Port Arthur. Fifth and last Australia never banned the sale or ownership of the AR-15 or any other so called "Assault Rifles". The federal government in Australia does not have the power to create firearms laws regarding ownership. The Austrlian Federal Government passed laws regarding the importation of firearms, and made recommendations to the States in Australia. Each State in Australia has their own firearms laws just like America. Many of the States in Australia have less restrictive laws than NJ and in many of them you can own an AR-15. Also many of the States have made their firearms laws less restrictive in recent years due to an increase in home invasions. There is exactly zero correlation between Australian Firearms Laws and Mass Shootings.

At the 7:00 minute mark of the video below.

i don't believe it's up to the discretion of a police chief to approve or deny an application to purchase. they are required by law to approve unless good cause for denial exists, at which point you may appeal to the superior court. if it were up to their discretion i'd wager 60-75% of applications in this state would be denied out of hand

also...

Image result for it's a trap gif

16 minutes ago, Indianajonze said:

i don't believe it's up to the discretion of a police chief to approve or deny an application to purchase. they are required by law to approve unless good cause for denial exists, at which point you may appeal to the superior court. if it were up to their discretion i'd wager 60-75% of applications in this state would be denied out of hand

I am sorry to inform you that you are wrong! The chief or his agent can most definitely deny an application! Remember the case where NJ2AS taped a detective in Orange NJ because she was 5' 5" tall and he was afraid an assailant would take her gun away?

“I had a female in here. She’s every bit of 5-foot and 80 pounds.” In a hidden-camera recording made by the New Jersey Second Amendment Society, an Orange Police Detective Sergeant appears to explain how he denied a handgun purchase permit to an applicant not based on New Jersey law but on the applicant’s size and gender. “I’m not going to say anyone can’t take a gun from me or, or you know. But, I’m just saying and I told her I’m going to be completely honest with you. In my opinion, I said, if I saw you and I saw you with a gun, especially here in Essex County, and the people we have here in this county. Um, I said yeah I’d be concerned with you having a firearm.”

And then the detective sergeant says he’s never lost an appeal and he has a wide range of reasons to deny the petite woman’s application. “Again it wasn’t anything against her. It’s not her fault she’s female and only, but I said we’ve got to look at the public safety.”

Orange Police have not responded to our requests for comment on the videotape.

• Like 1

Just now, JohnnyB said:

denied a handgun purchase permit

No, purchase only!

Here is the link to the full story! https://www.njtvonline.org/news/video/second-amendment-society-claims-police-departments-delaying-and-denying-handgun-permits/

• Like 1

yep you're right. that guy is breaking the law though. would love to see a follow up report on any subsequent lawsuits. they cannot deny a purchase application without just cause. it's even in that article. they can't just make stuff up, has to be for specific reasons.

New Jersey law allows police to deny handgun purchase permits for a variety of reasons including if the applicant is a convicted criminal, domestic violence offender, drug dependent, habitual drunkard, has a mental disorder, is younger than 21 or is on the Terror Watch list

6 minutes ago, Indianajonze said:

yep you're right. that guy is breaking the law though. would love to see a follow up report on any subsequent lawsuits. they cannot deny a purchase application without just cause. it's even in that article. they can't just make stuff up, has to be for specific reasons.

That's my whole point! They can and do deny based on whatever they want and nobody calls them out on that fact! Sure it's not legal but that detective bragged about how he has never been overturned by the Superior Court!

The point is that if they do it and get away with it, therefore it's not illegal for a PD to deny a purchase permit. NJ won't let us exercise our God given right to bear arms so that is illegal also.....NJ gets away it so in NJ it's not illegal to deny us our Constitutional right!

4 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but the APP has shown it's true "stripes" regarding this topic. I would love to see a non-biased article written in it, but based on past performance, I have my doubts. I personally wouldn't give a interview unless I could get a guarantee to approve the article before it's published. I wonder which editor at APP gets the final word on the content?

What actually amazes me about the APP is that it is primarily a Monmouth and Ocean paper, which are more Repub counties, and Middlesex that leans Dem, but the APP still decides to push it's left leaning liberal articles. I wonder when they'll finally figure that piece out?

They are owned by Gannett. They must abide by the motherships rules.

Katie, 

I am a former Trenton Times and Star-Ledger staff photographer. I was also a photo editor at the Ledger until the 2013 purge. I am currently a photo freelancer, working for nj.com and APP.

I am also a certified NRA range officer.

If you want to go shooting sometime, reach out to me.

I do not want to be in your story, but I am happy to assist you with background for this story.

EDIT.... If Maggie needs photos for this story, I am your guy......just saying.

David

• Like 1

I understand she has a deadline for her story ...

But Ms. Park i would implore you to actually go through the process yourself, not informing them that your a reporter doing a story of course, and see for yourself, the steps involved and the time it takes first hand.  Then with the approved paperwork in hand, actually go to a gun store and proceed as if you were going to purchase a handgun (or purchase one even, even better).  That whole process would be a whole other article, or a bonus follow up, for you in the months to come as you finish the process.

• Like 1

If I understand the OP correctly, her intention is to find out how the Parkland shooting has influenced recent decisions over purchasing a MSR.  Whether you are more or less inclined to follow through with your purchase.

While I agree that going through the FPID process herself will be a valuable experience, if she truly wants to understand the legal process and obstacles we face, it has little to do with the subject matter of the article she is writing.

Let's help Ms. Park with the story she's working on now, and maybe she will be inclined to stick around and learn more from us.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

If I understand the OP correctly, her intention is to find out how the Parkland shooting has influenced recent decisions over purchasing a MSR.  Whether you are more or less inclined to follow through with your purchase.

While I agree that going through the FPID process herself will be a valuable experience, if she truly wants to understand the legal process and obstacles we face, it has little to do with the subject matter of the article she is writing.

Let's help Ms. Park with the story she's working on now, and maybe she will be inclined to stick around and learn more from us.

Yeah, guys, she has an assignment - we can make suggestions, but it's her assignment... and ideas need to be approved by her editor(s)! Everyone has a boss. :D

@Katie Park - as you can probably tell, there's a lot of angst about how legal, law-abiding gun owners are often "blamed" (indirectly, or these days, even directly) for the actions of madmen and career criminals. As a gun owner, I can tell you it's offensive! Gun owners, like the ones on here, are sensitive about that and the often lop-sided presentation in the media and the lack of credible facts presented. Hopefully, you'll read all of these comments with that in mind --- we are all simply eager to see someone present unbiased, balanced reporting to counter the strident hysteria that too often shapes the public discourse around this issue.

I hope you find some good "subjects". We'll be waiting eagerly to see the results!

• Like 4

IF her intention is to find out how it influenced our decisions whether or not to purchase? i was in the process of purchasing a rifle when it happened. it did not change my mind, nor did it make me have second thoughts. these types of incidents will never effect my thinking on buying or owning firearms, as they have nothing to do with legal firearm ownership. until the systems/laws in place already are enforced, and work properly, any/all new laws will be a moot point, as they will not fix anything.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

IF her intention is to find out how it influenced our decisions whether or not to purchase? i was in the process of purchasing a rifle when it happened. it did not change my mind, nor did it make me have second thoughts. these types of incidents will never effect my thinking on buying or owning firearms, as they have nothing to do with legal firearm ownership. until the systems/laws in place already are enforced, and work properly, any/all new laws will be a moot point, as they will not fix anything.

Ditto

Same here... was in the middle of getting a new pistol.  Didn't change my decision at all.  The possible pending legislation on banning AR's though did prompt me to go out and get one now rather than waiting though.   But im not a resident of the counties she mentioned though

Just now, Zeke said:

How can you be objective without going through the permitting process?

It's a double edge sword.  If Ms. Park goes through the process, and finds out for herself how how badly NJ laws are stacked against law abiding citizens, how restrictive it is to purchase a firearm and ammo in NJ, she will no longer be objective once the Democrat's anti 2A bias is exposed. There will be bias.

I am hopeful that Ms. Park will stick around, maybe meet with some forum members at a range, go through the FPID and P2P processes, and expand her view, that she may see the bigger picture.