Katie Park

Newspaper reporter looking to interview a subject for a story...

10 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

It's a double edge sword.  If Ms. Park goes through the process, and finds out for herself how how badly NJ laws are stacked against law abiding citizens, how restrictive it is to purchase a firearm and ammo in NJ, she will no longer be objective once the Democrat's anti 2A bias is exposed. There will be bias.

I am hopeful that Ms. Park will stick around, maybe meet with some forum members at a range, go through the FPID and P2P processes, and expand her view, that she may see the bigger picture.

I disagree, immersing yourself in every aspect of crimes concerning firearms can only help to see the complete picture.

Katie - you wrote:

"The students and adults called for passage of "common sense" gun control measures that have eluded policymakers in Washington, including curtailing civilian access to military-style weapons and voting out lawmakers who accept money from the gun lobby and fail to move on gun control."

What you're missing is:

What these folks refer to as "common sense" gun control measures don't make ANY sense.  It's not common sense AT ALL to limit magazine size or bayonet lugs or to tax ammunition at 50%.  Yet journalists all over the US, with few exceptions, continue to parrot such talking points ('assault rifles' blah, blah, blah) without question.  Journalism today has largely betrayed the actual interests of The People.  Journalists DO this by allowing 'talking points' to stand and not questioning them.

When lawmakers stand up for the Constitution, consistent with their oaths of office, making decisions on behalf of The People, this is not "policies eluding them."

What the talking points are calling "The gun lobby" are your fellow ordinary Americans who are members of the NRA, whose membership is growing.  You're meeting some of them now.  New Jersey treats us as "felons in waiting."  Nothing could be further from the truth.

"Access to military-style weapons"  "Style" doesn't harm anyone.   "Weapons of War" are not 'on our streets.' (what does that mean, any way?)

Image result for ruger mini 14 vs. ar 15

I see the APP covers gun control rallies.  Why don't you cover the gun OWNER rally in Trenton on March 26?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Zeke said:

How can you be objective without going through the permitting process?

welll....admittedly, going through that process may bias her. i mean...once she realizes the sheer volume of bs we have to go through, and the sheer stupidity and redundancy of it.........

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Silence Dogood said:

Katie - you wrote:

"The students and adults called for passage of "common sense" gun control measures that have eluded policymakers in Washington, including curtailing civilian access to military-style weapons and voting out lawmakers who accept money from the gun lobby and fail to move on gun control."

What you're missing is:

What these folks refer to as "common sense" gun control measures don't make ANY sense.  It's not common sense AT ALL to limit magazine size or bayonet lugs or to tax ammunition at 50%.  Yet journalists all over the US, with few exceptions, continue to parrot such talking points ('assault rifles' blah, blah, blah) without question.  Journalism today has largely betrayed the actual interests of The People.  Journalists DO this by allowing 'talking points' to stand and not questioning them.

When lawmakers stand up for the Constitution, consistent with their oaths of office, making decisions on behalf of The People, this is not "policies eluding them."

What the talking points are calling "The gun lobby" are your fellow ordinary Americans who are members of the NRA, whose membership is growing.  You're meeting some of them now.  New Jersey treats us as "felons in waiting."  Nothing could be further from the truth.

"Access to military-style weapons"  "Style" doesn't harm anyone.   "Weapons of War" are not on our streets.  
Image result for ruger mini 14 vs. ar 15

glad you mentioned "gun lobby". 'cause......the nra isn't even in the top FIFTY for lobbyists.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

welll....admittedly, going through that process may bias her. i mean...once she realizes the sheer volume of bs we have to go through, and the sheer stupidity and redundancy of it.........

To be realistic here, a reporter in nj that is not antigun is called unemployed. A nonanti article won't even be published.  . 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Zeke said:

You cannot see the whole picture, focusing on a pixel

So.... I am not sure what you mean.  Are you saying that crime and the failed social policies of the Democrats is just one pixel?

The point of my post was to say this, If Ms. Park hangs around here, she will see the whole picture, not just the single pixels.

• Like 1

A better story would be how many people are planning to leave nj because of this. It is alleged the officer did not rush in because he is close to retirement. They do not get 6 figure pensions in FL, but they do in nj. All speculation of course, but with no duty to protect, risking a golden retirement, and residents unable to protect themselves. Lots of angles for an interesting story

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

Maybe Zeke can invite her to the next group meet up :)

I have no issue with that, if she applies for her FPID. And becomes a premier member... it’s only $3 a month, for journalistic integrity, priceless....

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Zeke said:

I have no issue with that, if she applies for her FPID. And becomes a premier member... it’s only $3 a month, for journalistic integrity, priceless....

Alright, the profundity is going to your head.  You've got a tee shirt.  Going for a bumper sticker now?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Katie Park said:

Hi, 

I am looking to speak with a subject, preferably someone who lives in Monmouth or Ocean counties, who was seriously considering buying any kind of firearm prior to Feb. 14, the date of the shooting in Parkland, Florida. Did that shooting -- and the subsequent heated debate on gun control -- make you want to buy a gun more, or did it reverse your decision to buy? I'd also like to know for which purpose(s) you would use the gun. If you fit this profile, please contact me, even if you don't live in Monmouth or Ocean counties -- although I ask that you do live somewhere in New Jersey. 

You can contact me here, or at 908-801-4853. Please contact me by Thursday, March 8, 2018, at the latest. Thank you. 

Katie

I do not think you will receive an objective response in an interview coming to a gun board. A majority of the forum members are already existing gun owners. Most of the gun owners here usually buy more than one gun per year. Your source audience would have to be a first time gun owner. My recommendation for you to interview someone at a police station, specifically the one who processes the firearm applications, and ask if there had been an increase/decrease in applications since the FL shooting.

Regards,

TokenEntry

Edited by TokenEntry
Badass grammar!

19 minutes ago, TokenEntry said:

I do not think you will receive an objective response in an interview coming to a gun board. A majority of the forum members are already existing gun owners. Most of the gun owners here usually buy more than one gun per year. Your source audience would have to be a first time gun owner. My recommendation is for you could possible try to interview someone at a police station, specifically the one who processes the firearm applications, and ask if there had been an increase/decrease in applications since the FL shooting.

Regards,

TokenEntry

Or reach out to local gun shop (LGS) to see if they would let you do a ride along for a day.

1 minute ago, capt14k said:

I think she left.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

She may have.  But she's a member now and can pop-in and read what ever we do.  A good lesson to beware.  We tend to go in a lot of different directions on here.  Sometimes out of jest and sometimes out of anger.  Either way all can be misconstrued by someone or even an anti. It's clear we're law abiding or at least try to be to the best of our ability to understand the laws. But sometimes if you step back and read our stuff you could ask how does this look to an "outsider"?   How many more are on here gathering info?  After all, we're on the internet.  

4 minutes ago, BobA said:

She may have.  But she's a member now and can pop-in and read what ever we do.  A good lesson to beware.  We tend to go in a lot of different directions on here.  Sometimes out of jest and sometimes out of anger.  Either way all can be misconstrued by someone or even an anti. It's clear we're law abiding or at least try to be to the best of our ability to understand the laws. But sometimes if you step back and read our stuff you could ask how does this look to an "outsider"?   How many more are on here gathering info?  After all, we're on the internet.  

Everyone...

• Like 1

If they are gathering info they would see this is the most law abiding group. To the point of being paranoid. Sometimes laws are followed that don't even exist.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

3 hours ago, SW9racer said:

To be realistic here, a reporter in nj that is not antigun is called unemployed. A nonanti article won't even be published.  . 

SADLY you are correct, and there is probably an article in the works focusing only on those that've been not quite so helpful.

1 hour ago, capt14k said:

I think she left.

If anyone wants to get a "flavor" of the articles she writes at APP, here is her link. She seems to cover a lot of different subjects under the "Jersey Mayhem" section.

https://www.app.com/staff/10052538/katie-park/

Could be...  We really don't know what she was charged with doing. I do wish she would have approach sooner.  If it were at least months ago intelligent meetings could have taken place and a relationship founded.  I believe the truth that we need to spread can not happen over night but with a true and honest infiltration of the hobby/sport.  We and it truly needs to be experienced to understand it.  The view of us and this thing we do is truly one sided thanks to the anti media coverage.  We're so misunderstood :(.    

4 minutes ago, Katie Park said:

Hey, all. Just letting everyone know I'm still following this thread closely and reading each comment. Each comment is coming through to my email, so I'm reading them there. If anyone would like to send me a message for this story, it's [email protected]. Thanks! 

That's the thing.  What is the story?  What are you writing about?  

18 minutes ago, BobA said:

Could be...  We really don't know what she was charged with doing. I do wish she would have approach sooner.  If it were at least months ago intelligent meetings could have taken place and a relationship founded.  I believe the truth that we need to spread can not happen over night but with a true and honest infiltration of the hobby/sport.  We and it truly needs to be experienced to understand it.  The view of us and this thing we do is truly one sided thanks to the anti media coverage.  We're so misunderstood :(.    

That's the thing.  What is the story?  What are you writing about?  

After reading everyone's comments so far, I've expanded the story to this, in addition to my original request (which is at the very beginning of this thread): 

1. What is the process to legally buy and carry a gun (rifles, long guns, shotguns, then handguns) in this state? I want to speak with various people and listen to their experiences of buying or carrying (or trying to buy or carry), and not just read state protocol, which I know is in abundance online. I plan to go to my municipal police department and request an application for owning a shotgun/rifle/long gun. 

2. Which mental conditions preclude applicants from owning any kind of gun in NJ? Do common diagnosed conditions, like depression and anxiety (among others), disadvantage applicants? 

3. What other factors, in your experience, pose as a particular advantage or disadvantage to applicants for legal gun ownership in NJ? 

Like I mentioned before, I plan on visiting a gun shop and shooting range around here for this story. 

Hope this helps clarify some forum members' questions. As I mentioned, please feel free to contact me, either on this website, at 908-801-4853, or at [email protected]. Ideally, I'd like to have the ball rolling on interviews and meet-ups by Thursday, March 8, although there's a very good chance this impending nor'easter will delay things. 

• Like 6