Katie Park

Newspaper reporter looking to interview a subject for a story...

32 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

Understanding isn't taught in Journalism School anymore.  If it were, we wouldn't be in the fricken mess we're in right now!

Would a vegan be the right person to cover a hot dog eating contest?  That's like asking if sending a red neck racist would be the right person to cover Miss Black America pageant!  (NOT intended to offend or be taken out of context!).

if that vegan were doing their job properly, then it shouldn't matter.

@Smokin .50 how is suggesting someone become knowledgeable in what they are writing about a bad thing? I’d prefer politicians become knowledgeable about what they legislate, would not you?

Or are you just industry bias?

Im encouraged that @Katie Park is immersing herself in the totality of indigenous flora and fauna that is N.J. firearms culture.

Hopefully she will become to think of us as American Citizens that reside in N.J., and not subjects....

8 minutes ago, Zeke said:

@Smokin .50 how is suggesting someone become knowledgeable in what they are writing about a bad thing. I’d prefer politicians become knowledgeable about what they legislate, would not you?

Im encouraged that @Katie Park is immersing herself in the totality of indigenous flora and fauna that is N.J. firearms culture.

Hopefully she will become to think of us as American Citizens that reside in N.J., and not subjects....

Or future felons at the stroke of a pen.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Katie Park said:

3. What other factors, in your experience, pose as a particular advantage or disadvantage to applicants for legal gun ownership in NJ? 

Katie, a few quick questions I have for you and would like your personal opinion. There currently is a bill being worked on in Trenton where they are trying to reduce magazine capacity from 15 rounds to 10. It probably will be signed into law, making all of us instant felons.

1) Do you think this lower magazine capacity will have an affect on reducing mass murders?

2) What is your opinion of the fact that tens of thousands of NJ legal gun owners will become instant felons based on a single bill signing? Is this fair?

3) Should current legal gun owners who bought legal 15 round magazines have any recourse if the 15 round magazines are made illegal by this bill?

Bonus question:

Do you think banning AR15 style "assault weapons" nationwide will stop mass murders or school shootings?

2 hours ago, Zeke said:

@Smokin .50 how is suggesting someone become knowledgeable in what they are writing about a bad thing? I’d prefer politicians become knowledgeable about what they legislate, would not you?

Zeke, I never said it's a "bad thing".  I said it wasn't the ultimate qualifier, meaning it would be nice to have, but it isn't necessary in order for a professional writer to write a fair & balanced story.  Reporters are taught to ask questions so they (and their readers) get informed.  I too prefer politicians be knowledgeable in what they vote on cause it all cost us the taxpayer, money!  Hell I've even quoted Loretta Weinberg while taping on Colandro's Gun For Hire Radio, "WHAT MAKES GUNS SO SPECIAL?  WE (the Legislators) VOTE ON THINGS WE KNOW NOTHING ABOUT ALL THE TIME!"

Industry bias?  That's funny!  I don't even read the paper, 'cept for the Federation monthly & local weekly to read about scouting activities.  Oh, and Facebook links for stories I write for CNJFO.  I grew-up in a "Newspaper Family", as my Dad was a News Photographer when I was born.  I was first published at age 12, having taken pix at a Rutgers basketball game alongside my Dad.  Dad used my images that night as his own & I was HOOKED!  At 17 I was already freelancing to make car payments over 41 years ago.  I've met some really nice people in the news industry & some not so nice.  I remember being told by an Editor how he wanted me to slant a photo story when I wasn't even 20 yrs old.  THAT turned me off & I got out of the news bidness and opened my own studio.  My unwillingness to conform & my MOUTH cost me a full time newspaper job!  I do have great memories though, going all the way back to when a coke machine was only a dime :) .  Thanks for the stroll down memory lane!

I too am encouraged that Katie wants to learn more.  I'm trying to facilitate that as I type this :) .  Hopefully she'll be a brave soul & a pioneer for fairness.  At the end of the day, we all want the same great result:  to be treated fairly!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Smokin .50 said:

Zeke, I never said it's a "bad thing".  I said it wasn't the ultimate qualifier, meaning it would be nice to have, but it isn't necessary in order for a professional writer to write a fair & balanced story.  Reporters are taught to ask questions so they (and their readers) get informed.  I too prefer politicians be knowledgeable in what they vote on cause it all cost us the taxpayer, money!  Hell I've even quoted Loretta Weinberg while taping on Colandro's Gun For Hire Radio, "WHAT MAKES GUNS SO SPECIAL?  WE (the Legislators) VOTE ON THINGS WE KNOW NOTHING ABOUT ALL THE TIME!"

Industry bias?  That's funny!  I don't even read the paper, 'cept for the Federation monthly & local weekly to read about scouting activities.  Oh, and Facebook links for stories I write for CNJFO.  I grew-up in a "Newspaper Family", as my Dad was a News Photographer when I was born.  I was first published at age 12, having taken pix at a Rutgers basketball game alongside my Dad.  Dad used my images that night as his own & I was HOOKED!  At 17 I was already freelancing to make car payments over 41 years ago.  I've met some really nice people in the news industry & some not so nice.  I remember being told by an Editor how he wanted me to slant a photo story when I wasn't even 20 yrs old.  THAT turned me off & I got out of the news bidness and opened my own studio.  My unwillingness to conform & my MOUTH cost me a full time newspaper job!  I do have great memories though, going all the way back to when a coke machine was only a dime :) .  Thanks for the stroll down memory lane!

I too am encouraged that Katie wants to learn more.  I'm trying to facilitate that as I type this :) .  Hopefully she'll be a brave soul & a pioneer for fairness.  At the end of the day, we all want the same great result:  to be treated fairly!

Then what are you arguing about?

Uggg 

Sometimes, your silence is golden.

She probably gave up on this oft derailed thread, especially with the pointless bickering sprinkled in. For someone working on a specific work project with a time component, I doubt there's even 1 pages worth out of the 6 that didn't waste the project's time. I would've sought info elsewhere. gg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sevenshot said:

She probably gave up on this oft derailed thread, especially with the pointless bickering sprinkled in. For someone working on a specific work project with a time component, I doubt there's even 1 pages worth out of the 6 that didn't waste the project's time. I would've sought info elsewhere. gg

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

I'm sure she was thrilled with the hot dog eating suggestion and being called Lois Lane.  njgf is a class act.

• Like 2