stuckinNJ

I have 2 permits in hand. What handguns should I get before we go down to 10 rounds?

It’s definitely easier to order a handgun with the standard mags that it comes with, rather than 1) Be able to find the model with 10 round mags, 2) find a dealer nice enough to swap 10 rounders or 3) have the gun sent without mags at all.

Right now, the CZ P-07 has my interest, as does the S&W M&P 2.0 Compact. Both are 15 rounds standard.

Budget is preferably mid to high $400s or less.

Not looking for anything I can get after we’re reduced to 10. This rules out any CCW guns or revolvers.

I already have a Sig P226, CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical, CZ 75 compact, CZ 75 Pre B, and HK VP9.

Thanks for your suggestions!

CZ P-07 is highly underrated as a Mid size 9mm.  I love mine, and when in 'murica I wear her appendix.  Other 15 round options are Beretta 92/M9 and the H&K VP9,   

As an owner of the above 3 choices, I stand by them.  BUT, I'm sure your will be fine with the Glock 19, M&P 2.0 Compact, CZ P10c, Sig P320 Compact and probably one you really should look into, the Walther PPQ.  

Don't forget the Sig P226 or P229.

Lot's of 15 round choices sir, take your pick.  ALL are viable 

1 minute ago, Ray Ray said:

CZ P-07 is highly underrated as a Mid size 9mm.  I love mine, and when in 'murica I wear her appendix.  Other 15 round options are Beretta 92/M9 and the H&K VP9,   

As an owner of the above 3 choices, I stand by them.  BUT, I'm sure your will be fine with the Glock 19, M&P 2.0 Compact, CZ P10c, Sig P320 Compact and probably one you really should look into, the Walther PPQ.  

Don't forget the Sig P226 or P229.

Lot's of 15 round choices sir, take your pick.  ALL are viable 

Thanks but as I mention above, I already have a VP9 and a P226 lol. I’m pretty well covered as you can see. The P-10c hasn’t really caught my eye, especially since it had many issues early on. I had a G19 but sold it. I couldn’t get myself to like the ergonomics or trigger.

The P320 is a nice idea actually. I don’t think I’ll like a Beretta though, I hate manual safeties! Another idea was the P365 since I believe it ships with a 12 rounder. But those have also been having a lot of early adoption issues!

Thanks for your input

• Like 1

The PPQ seems to have become the best polymer 9mm made today.  Since you already have the second best (VP9, but I think it is the best) 9mm plastic fantastic out today, then you would love the PPQ.  Done, you got your next gun.  You are welcome papi

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

The PPQ seems to have become the best polymer 9mm made today.  Since you already have the second best (VP9, but I think it is the best) 9mm plastic fantastic out today, then you would love the PPQ.  Done, you got your next gun.  You are welcome papi

That’s something I hadn’t considered. I’ll take a look, but tbh, I’m still getting myself used to the paddle release on the VP9..

3 minutes ago, stuckinNJ said:

That’s something I hadn’t considered. I’ll take a look, but tbh, I’m still getting myself used to the paddle release on the VP9..

PPQ M1 has the paddle release, PPQ M2 has the standard release.  

On a side note, the magazines between them are NOT interchangeable due to the cutout in the magazine.

This gun will surprise you  

Cant speak to the SK but i concur with those above about the VP9 ... i luvz me my VP9.  I almost bought the PPQ M2 .. another fine tool, but i opted for the VP9.  But the VP9 can be had with 10 round mags .. I think it's just the LE edition that has the 15 rounders with it, which is what i got.  Besides the mags (it comes with 3 of them), the LE edition just gives you tritium night sights.  I personally like them better than the standard sights... but if you dont find value in the night sights they offer vs 3rd party...  the LE edition might not be worth it. 

11 hours ago, stuckinNJ said:

It’s definitely easier to order a handgun with the standard mags that it comes with, rather than 1) Be able to find the model with 10 round mags, 2) find a dealer nice enough to swap 10 rounders or 3) have the gun sent without mags at all.

Right now, the CZ P-07 has my interest, as does the S&W M&P 2.0 Compact. Both are 15 rounds standard.

Budget is preferably mid to high $400s or less.

Not looking for anything I can get after we’re reduced to 10. This rules out any CCW guns or revolvers.

I already have a Sig P226, CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical, CZ 75 compact, CZ 75 Pre B, and HK VP9.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Selling my CZP07 Tactical through my FFL - only thing it's already milled with an RMR from Primary Machine and has their comp as well.   

4 hours ago, diamondd817 said:

M&P 2.0 Compact

Beretta PX4 Compact (Compact Carry, if you can/want to afford it)

Glock 19 Gen 5

Beretta 92 FS Compact (13rd Mags)

The M&P is on the table. But the G19 is  not. I already had one and sold it.

2 hours ago, leadunderpressure said:

FN FNX45 Tactical in 45acp
HK MK23 in 45acp

Way out of my budget lol. Like more than double!

2 hours ago, bry@n said:

What about a VP9SK?

Also out if budget and it’s a 10 round gun I could obtain later. Also, since CCW doesn’t exist here, I’d prob stick to a shield or a P365 if I ever got a carry gun.

1 hour ago, Lakota said:

Cant speak to the SK but i concur with those above about the VP9 ... i luvz me my VP9.  I almost bought the PPQ M2 .. another fine tool, but i opted for the VP9.  But the VP9 can be had with 10 round mags .. I think it's just the LE edition that has the 15 rounders with it, which is what i got.  Besides the mags (it comes with 3 of them), the LE edition just gives you tritium night sights.  I personally like them better than the standard sights... but if you dont find value in the night sights they offer vs 3rd party...  the LE edition might not be worth it. 

The VP9 I already own is actually a Tactical model with a threaded barrel, exta mag and night sights!

I appreciate the input guys!

12 hours ago, High Exposure said:

I really like the CZ P10. It has the nicest striker fired trigger press I have ever felt.

And the PPQ is even better.   I found the trigger on the P10c to be the same as the Sig P320.

11 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

I was just shocked that HE admitted it!

HA!

"Perfect is the enemy of good" - Voltaire

I know there are plenty of guns out there with better triggers, that are more accurate, that are reliable - but the Glock is good enough. Plenty of holster options, parts are easy to source, excellent value for what you pay, accurate enough, trigger is good enough. - But that P10 was sweet, I shot it against the striker fired models from HK, Walther, and my G19. The CZ was clearly the best of the bunch.

Also, I am a big fan of "beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it". I am issued and required to carry a Glock on duty. Why change that? I can qualify with or train with just about anything I want off duty. I just don't see value in spending time with a different gun than the one that I am required to carry 12 hours a day. I can train with a Glock 23, 27, or 35 and not loose a step.

I have/had a S&W M&P, a Kahr, a HK P2000, a SA TRP Operator 1911, and others... They all shoot great, but it takes a few mags and some time to get accustomed to the feel of the grip, the recoil, the controls, natural point of aim for me, etc... Then I have to run through some time and ammo to get back up to speed with the Glock.

The juice is just not worth the squeeze for me...

When I am free to choose what I want to carry 100% of the time, or if I am issued something other than a Glock, I may choose something different. Until then, Glocks for me.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stuckinNJ said:

At this point, I think I’m between the P-07, M&P9 2.0 Compact and PPQ M2.

They all come in at around the low $400s which is awesome, and have great reviews. Just gonna be hard to decide.

Here’s a curveball, anyone have experience with a Steyr M9-A1?

I've never shot a P-07 but want to say, do yourself a favor and find someone with a 2.0 Compact, or go to a range and rent one. It is leaps and bounds better than the original M&P, and is the size of a G19, with better ergonomics. When you hold one, you will instantly how solid it is, and almost doesn't feel like a plastic gun.

I shot a Steyr exactly once. I tried it for a whole IDPA match and just couldn't get on with the weird triangular sights.

I would suggest try a nice classic like a Browning Hi-Power or if you want something a little different, but also a bit classic, a 2011 in 9mm or .40.

If you're looking in the $400 range check out the new Ruger Security 9. You can get one for around $300. I haven't shot it yet but it feels great in the hand and seems to have a pretty good trigger. I will definitely be picking one up on my next round of permits. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, diamondd817 said:

M&P 2.0 Compact

Beretta PX4 Compact (Compact Carry, if you can/want to afford it)

Glock 19 Gen 5

Beretta 92 FS Compact (13rd Mags)

Fondled it when I picked up my VP9,  Love the grip, trigger is much improved from the last edition and didnt feel too small in my meat hooks.  This is my new carry gun...it just doesn't know it yet.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stuckinNJ said:

At this point, I think I’m between the P-07, M&P9 2.0 Compact and PPQ M2.

They all come in at around the low $400s which is awesome, and have great reviews. Just gonna be hard to decide.

The Steyr comes with crappy, weird 10 round magazines.  Your first three choices are solid.

7 hours ago, stuckinNJ said:

Don't pay any attention to Ray Ray - Steyr magazines are made by MecGar in Italy. They make or have made OE mags for the likes of Sig Sauer, Beretta, Walther and many others. They are excellent magazines.

As for the gun - great ergonomics and love 'em or hate 'em trapezoidal sights. It is one of only two pieces of "tactical Tupperware" that I own.

a3h09j.jpg

Make sure that you get the newest version - it has a pin through the slide under the rear sight. They also had some extractor problems, but I would hope that has been solved by now. I had to change mine - Steyr just sent me a new extractor and the gun ran flawlessly after installation.

Adios,

Pizza Bob