exoto

Firearm transportation in NJ

I would say that's verifying if it's legal or not. If it wasn't stolen, that would mean you purchased it legally

For myself, I take a picture of every 4473 form for every firearm I own, store it in a password protected app on my phone, so if I was to ever be questioned if it was purchased legally or not, I show that.

Nothing I transport screams gun. If you subscribe to nappen. Anything gun is similar to drug paraphernalia and is PC for search.Cover with blanket in suv etc.

If an ocifer asked if I had firearms and I did, I would answer truthfully.

3 hours ago, JR88USMC said:

Too bad we can’t push for carrying in our car as an extension of our home. Because well it is. It’s registered to my house, we pay almost daily taxes and tolls on it, they are the 2nd most valuable possessions MOST of us own. (Yes I know there are probably people on here with gun collections worth more than their car)

OK, a little thread drift, but wondering what the Brain Trust feels about this situation. Legally, we can keep a handgun in our homes for personal defense but not in our cars. What if your home is an RV?

If I take an extended trip in a motorhome, that becomes my "home" for that time period, since it has all the amenities that my house has (heat, a bathroom, kitchen, sleeping area, etc.).

So, if you get pulled over in a motorhome (your temporary home) and have your handgun hidden for protection and a cop finds out, is this a felony of illegal transportation?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sniper22 said:

OK, a little thread drift, but wondering what the Brain Trust feels about this situation. Legally, we can keep a handgun in our homes for personal defense but not in our cars. What if your home is an RV?

If I take an extended trip in a motorhome, that becomes my "home" for that time period, since it has all the amenities that my house has (heat, a bathroom, kitchen, sleeping area, etc.).

So, if you get pulled over in a motorhome (your temporary home) and have your handgun hidden for protection and a cop finds out, is this a felony of illegal transportation?

My rv is a second home...

1 minute ago, Sniper22 said:

If I take an extended trip in a motorhome, that becomes my "home" for that time period,

I'm only 95% sure about this, but I do not believe motor homes are exempted.  There have been cases but I'm too lazy to look for them again.  Google is your friend....  actually duckduckgo is your friend.  Eff google.

• Like 1

It's very common during a traffic stop for the officer to ask where you're going or where you've come from. If I have guns in the vehicle I make sure I'm honest, but not overly detailed unless he inquires further. E.g. if I'm on the way to SCFGPA I'll tell him I'm heading for Bridgewater, not a shooting range. I'm still being honest but not triggering any spidey senses.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sniper22 said:

Hell of a hypothetical scenario.

Off the top of my head I'd presume that your home would be defined as the address on your FID card, so unless you were on your way to or from the range I think you'd be in hot water...

Just now, 124gr9mm said:

Off the top of my head I'd presume that your home would be defined as the address on your FID card, so unless you were on your way to or from the range I think you'd be in hot water...

You can have multiple residences. 

Its the transit part that’s grey. Especially if it’s a driver. Parked, it’s a home. Very little case law on this. I know, I researched.

Yes motor home on road vehicle, motor home parked in public lot is vehicle, motor home hooked up to utilities is home. This according to SCOTUS in California v Carney. There are also other factors that can make it a home, but on road it is certainly a vehicle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

How about in the case of a second beach home, where you spend all Summer at the shore. Can you have your handgun there? Is that considered your "home" regarding legal possession?

35 minutes ago, Zeke said:

You can have multiple residences. 

Its the transit part that’s grey. Especially if it’s a driver. Parked, it’s a home. Very little case law on this. I know, I researched.

Yep, that's why I asked, it's tough to legally find out. Plus, it would depend on what state you're traveling through too.

If I'm sitting in a campground in my "portable home", and some nutcase breaks in to try and steal something or harm us, can I legally protect me and wifey, or do I become an instant felon for carrying away from home in a "vehicle"?

Questions, questions.. (Hopefully the campground has a range, then I'll be good :) ).

• Like 1

Yep, that's why I asked, it's tough to legally find out. Plus, it would depend on what state you're traveling through too.
If I'm sitting in a campground in my "portable home", and some nutcase breaks in to try and steal something or harm us, can I legally protect me and wifey, or do I become an instant felon for carrying away from home in a "vehicle"?
Questions, questions.. (Hopefully the campground has a range, then I'll be good [emoji4] ).
When parked and hooked up at campground you are in a home see SCOTUS decision above. With that being said you still violate NJ/NY law and are not protected under FOPA. Same goes for a hotel room. However the police would need a warrant to search while parked at camoground, but once on road they would not.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Sniper22 said:

Not really sure about the law in NJ about this.

Some advice I got from someone long ago is when your rv is rolling it's a vehicle so treat it like transportation.  When you're parked and set up to live treat it like a residence.

Sounds reasonable to me and gives you a defense.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, xXxplosive said:

Living in an oppressed environment for years, one gets used to it as an everyday occurance.....after reading through the posts above, one has to realize just how screwed we are as citizens subjects of NJ......Geeezzzz.

Fixed it for you.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

How about in the case of a second beach home, where you spend all Summer at the shore. Can you have your handgun there? Is that considered your "home" regarding legal possession?

Questions, questions.. (Hopefully the campground has a range, then I'll be good :) ).

When you’re at a campground you are leasing land. But a restop or Walmart parking lot you are still in transit I feel.

I agree with @GRIZ

1 hour ago, xXxplosive said:

.....or a rental as long as your name appears on the lease.

Not necessarily.  If you rent a house, only your name is on the lease, and your brother lives you, that is his residence.  Just like you own your house and your kids live there.

2 hours ago, GRIZ said:

Not necessarily.  If you rent a house, only your name is on the lease, and your brother lives you, that is his residence.  Just like you own your house and your kids live there.

Well, that’s another twist, residency’s. I jus stick with rollin, transport like interstate. Camping,.. me casa, 

• Like 1