exoto

Local PD called and asked what gun I bought, is it normal?

It happened last month, I received a call from the local PD (about a month after I got my FID), the officer told me they always follow up with new FID holders on if they have any plan or have bought any guns...so I told the truth: I bought a bolt action rifle for sporting purpose. The officer is very friendly and the call ended peacefully.

Nothing actually happens afterward (so far), but is this normal? anything I should be careful about? Thanks!

That info goes into your file and if they ever get a call for service to your home depending on the nature of the call they will adjust their tactics accordingly. The less they know the better... there will never be a scenario where you will be thinking if I had only informed the police of my firearms I’d be better off... it only goes the other way...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, exoto said:

It happened last month, I received a call from the local PD (about a month after I got my FID), the officer told me they always follow up with new FID holders on if they have any plan or have bought any guns...so I told the truth: I bought a bolt action rifle for sporting purpose. The officer is very friendly and the call ended peacefully.

Nothing actually happens afterward (so far), but is this normal? anything I should be careful about? Thanks!

I am shocked! NO this is NOT normal! Nor is it ANY of their business what if anything you purchased with that permit! Is there any reason why they would be concerned about you in particular? DO NOT ANSWER HERE! Ask yourself that question. If not, the fact that they made that call annoys me a great deal! Would you mind telling us the name of your town?

If they ever call again, DO NOT tell them anything. They are going WAY beyond their scope of authority! I would be interested about what others here think about your experience!

• Like 3

What town is this? I've never heard of this anywhere in NJ.  Maybe if they weren't doing this they could get the FIDs and PPPs out on 30 days instead of however long it takes.

It sounds like they have too much free time.  What long guns you buy is none of their business.  I also think it's inappropriate for a police department to waste their time doing this.

• Like 9

Well 1.   He already “has a file” they issued the FID.   2.   If he got a P2P they would know the gun too.  So the only “tactic” they are gaining is “did he actually buy a ling gun because we’d have no record”

but i agree.  Way beyond “just a follow up” investigation.

We should all practice what our response would be if it happens to us.  Thanks for posting OP.

24 minutes ago, Barms said:

We should all practice what our response would be if it happens to us.  Thanks for posting OP.

How about, "Hello officer, why no, I have not used the FID yet. Thank you for your interest officer, bye".

Be polite! Answer as above! Above all, always remember that they may be doing their jobs but when push comes to shove, they are NOT your friends and any information you give most likely WILL be used against you some day!

Handguns are registered but long arms are not. We all know what registration leads to based on history! You are not obligated to register long arms but if you volunteer the information, you just registered it!

• Like 1

Is it possible there was something questionable on his FID approval? Maybe something on the background check or mental health check that the PD wasn't sure of? Was there pressure on the PD to "approve"it? What town was this? Did someone make a anon call to the PD when they learned the OP got his FID (like the calls made in FL about Cruz to the local PD)?

Maybe we need some more info from the OP.  Lots of questions.

Just now, Sniper22 said:

Is it possible there was something questionable on his FID approval? Maybe something on the background check or mental health check that the PD wasn't sure of? Was there pressure on the PD to "approve"it? What town was this? Did someone make a anon call to the PD when they learned the OP got his FID (like the calls made in FL about Cruz to the local PD)?

You read my mind! If any of what you posted is the case, I would advise the OP to take note but not reply here! If there were questions about fitness, the FID should not have been issued without further investigation. If he has someone who knows he got the FID and the rifle who is concerned, or just wants to screw him, that's an issue he has do deal with!.....But NOT here!

15 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

You read my mind! If any of what you posted is the case, I would advise the OP to take note but not reply here! If there were questions about fitness, the FID should not have been issued without further investigation. If he has someone who knows he got the FID and the rifle who is concerned, or just wants to screw him, that's an issue he has do deal with!.....But NOT here!

My FID investigation took a long time (4 month) but there was no actual issue. I am very certain that PD has no concern about my background. They contacted the company I m working for and my references. I was also interviewed to answer some of their questions, as well. I was very polite and willing to cooperate the whole time.

I don't think anyone is concerned about anything from me at this point...

36 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

In that case, I m very certain they will just revoke FID or deny my application at first place. I can't imagine in such a anti-gun state, PD actually has pressure on approving FID...It took forever already (>4 months)

I am happy to hear there are no issues! Your PD seems to be VERY anti 2A! It's all up to the Chief and his politics! I really don't think you have anything to worry about! The very fact that they took 4 months to approve is illegal! They have 30 days under normal circumstances! 

A rouge city in a rogue state does not really surprise me. Just know your rights and answer NO MORE QUESTIONS! What you have in the way of long arms and ammo is your business. If you value your freedom, share that information with no one! 

24 minutes ago, exoto said:

My FID investigation took a long time (4 month) but there was no actual issue. I am very certain that PD has no concern about my background. They contacted the company I m working for and my references. I was also interviewed to answer some of their questions, as well. I was very polite and willing to cooperate the whole time.

I'm curious what questions they asked when you were "interviewed". They are not permitted by law to ask for any additional forms, questionnaires, or any other Information other than what is asked for on the state forms. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, exoto said:

In that case, I m very certain they will just revoke FID or deny my application at first place. I can't imagine in such a anti-gun state, PD actually has pressure on approving FID...It took forever already (>4 months)

Four months is a long time for a FID, did you get any pistol permits at that time?

Which town was this? It would help us and others here might also have input on how that PD operates with their approvals.

ANJRPC, the state's NRA affiliate,  has had an ongoing effort dealing with permitting issues for years. Here's some blurbs from their website about this:

Many towns impose outrageous, unauthorized conditions on issuance of purchase permits, such as employer notification, spousal consent, disclosure of all household member names, and passing a written exam.  Many municipalities also ignore state law requiring application decisions within 30 days; some applicants wait over a year before getting a decision. Some towns also ration handgun purchase permits at the rate of one per month, under the mistaken belief that New Jersey's "one gun a month" law applies to issuance of permits themselves....

.... we still need to know about permitting abuses you may be suffering, as well as improvements in the permitting process....

Please tell us about unauthorized conditions, delays, permit rationing, or any other violations, or improvements, in your town. Your identity will be protected, but your input will help us get the job done! Please email [email protected] or leave a message at (973) 697-9270. Please include as much detail as possible

ANJRPC is very quiet about their work on this, by design. Their lawyers have been steadily contacting police departments across the state to notify them of their legal requirements and getting many of them to voluntarily comply. It's also an ongoing challenge as staff within those police departments turns over and new faces arrive. I can respect ANJRPC's low-key publicity approach, because it's best to get departments to comply voluntarily, if possible. After all, sometimes the department is simply misinformed. It does happen - it's not always someone who's just anti-2A... though we do tend to get understandably paranoid around here and assume the worst intentions. ;)

But, now that you've had several people (including Griz, who's a retired LEO) tell you that what you just went through is extremely irregular... please call or email ANJRPC and provide the information to them. Although it's great that you posted it here, your fellow NJGF posters can't actually do anything... but ANJRPC has attorneys on staff who can hopefully nip this practice in the bud. They should be made aware.

• Like 4

It is none of their business and you do not have to tell them - there is no form of registration and or notification to any agency for a long gun purchase other than the 4473 and NICS check in the state of NJ.

Handguns have a form of registration, and they should not call you about it as they get the paperwork.

In 24 years I have never had the local PD call me about anything that I have purchased - ever.

You do not have to answer them if they can and you can advise them that there is no form of registration and I do not have to give you that information. 

Now that being said - I am not an attorney - none of us are - it is your call how you want to handle this and it depends on how it is asked etc.  As well as your tenure in the town and your relationship with the PD etc.

My town PD knows me - from over the years - the same lady that has always been there has always helped me - wonderful person.  I am friends with the ex chief of police we attend the same church etc.  We have a new guy retired officer helping the records group - a mean sob at times - asked me once why I need another handgun - I smiled at him and asked him why he needed another cigarette..he groaned and we never had the conversation again.

*BUT* - again that being said - you have no duty to notify them of your long gun purchases.  1 or a 1,000,000 - doesn't matter

:)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, exoto said:

Did they ask you for any "details" about the weapon, such as Make, Model, serial #?    Of course, they would have all of this info if it were a hand gun from the P2P the comes back. 

No, I've never heard of this, but it doesn't surprise me.  :facepalm:

3 hours ago, PK90 said:

My Answers:
1. None
2. 50BMG
3. Fuck off

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

Lmao! I’d strike #2 though. They have a real hard on for those for some reason.

OP I’ve never heard of this. Firearms registration is not mandatory. Unfortunately for handguns purchased while residing in this state, the P2P is a form of registry...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, exoto said:

This would be very concerning to me. The HR dept. in most companies I worked for are not exactly an employee's friend. The LEO that called you. Is this the same LEO that processed your application? I'm also curious what town does this?

Regards,

TokenEntry

15 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

Four months is a long time for a FID, did you get any pistol permits at that time?

Which town was this? It would help us and others here might also have input on how that PD operates with their approvals.

Four months isn't really a long time.  Unfortunately we see them this long and much longer quite often.

1 hour ago, TokenEntry said:

This would be very concerning to me. The HR dept. in most companies I worked for are not exactly an employee's friend. The LEO that called you. Is this the same LEO that processed your application? I'm also curious what town does this?

Regards,

TokenEntry

My town contacted my employer for my initial FID (but not for subsequent purchase permits) and that kind of pissed me off as well.  I work for a massive multi-national organization so the request was routed to a senior partner who had to call and discuss our company "firearm policy" with me.  Fortunately I knew him well and he's a Boy Scout leader, so he appreciates responsible firearms ownership, but I can only imagine what would have happened if it was someone with a axe to grind.

Ironically they now know me so well that for my last permit request they didn't even check with my references and I had the permits in 3 weeks.

this is very very simple. i've seen at least one suggestion that may end up being a lie to them. don't do that. just politely tell them that they have no need to know either way if you've bought anything, nor do they have a need or right to know what it is you may or may not have bought.

keep it simple and honest.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

ANJRPC, the state's NRA affiliate,  has had an ongoing effort dealing with permitting issues for years. Here's some blurbs from their website about this:

Many towns impose outrageous, unauthorized conditions on issuance of purchase permits, such as employer notification, spousal consent, disclosure of all household member names, and passing a written exam.  Many municipalities also ignore state law requiring application decisions within 30 days; some applicants wait over a year before getting a decision. Some towns also ration handgun purchase permits at the rate of one per month, under the mistaken belief that New Jersey's "one gun a month" law applies to issuance of permits themselves....

.... we still need to know about permitting abuses you may be suffering, as well as improvements in the permitting process....

Please tell us about unauthorized conditions, delays, permit rationing, or any other violations, or improvements, in your town. Your identity will be protected, but your input will help us get the job done! Please email [email protected] or leave a message at (973) 697-9270. Please include as much detail as possible

ANJRPC is very quiet about their work on this, by design. Their lawyers have been steadily contacting police departments across the state to notify them of their legal requirements and getting many of them to voluntarily comply. It's also an ongoing challenge as staff within those police departments turns over and new faces arrive. I can respect ANJRPC's low-key publicity approach, because it's best to get departments to comply voluntarily, if possible. After all, sometimes the department is simply misinformed. It does happen - it's not always someone who's just anti-2A... though we do tend to get understandably paranoid around here and assume the worst intentions. ;)

But, now that you've had several people (including Griz, who's a retired LEO) tell you that what you just went through is extremely irregular... please call or email ANJRPC and provide the information to them. Although it's great that you posted it here, your fellow NJGF posters can't actually do anything... but ANJRPC has attorneys on staff who can hopefully nip this practice in the bud. They should be made aware.

Definitely contact ANJRPC.

What makes this so odd to me is the FID took 4 months (5 months when I applied) and the reason I was given for these long wait times is that PDs are understaffed to handle the applications. The 2 times I called with questions I was never called back. Understaffed for apps but plenty of time to call and ask what you bought?

took 8 months. i was given same reason. understaffed. moms took 9 months. she was given same reason...till month 8 when someone called her and said her fingerprints weren't showing up properly. she had to get them re-done(no charge) then it took the full 9th month.

I am a retired police officer in NJ and I have never heard of this. Very strange. Did you call back the police department and ask if that particular person is a police officer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, elongobardi said:

I am a retired police officer in NJ and I have never heard of this. Very strange. Did you call back the police department and ask if that particular person is a police officer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe that guy is indeed an officer. I found his name from the police annual report. However, he is not the same person that went through my FID background check.